Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What happens if your valve clearance is too big?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by misterzee
Because its a PITA to chase oil leaks, I install fresh gasket, half moons, and bolt grommets when doing valves. I apply a small amt of RTV to the corners of the half moons, and tighten the bolts evenly until I can see the rubber grommet just start to squish, when its diameter begins to expand, using a cris-cross pattern. It also helps to use a 1/4" drive or a stubby 3/8" drive so you have a better feel for the torque.
(forgive the redundancy) If you have a stock cam, set intake to .008 exh to .012 HOT, as the FSM says. Aftermarket performance cams usually have different requirements.
Yes...it can be, but it can also be a cinch assuming one has cleaned the area when servicing. Also, assuming one installs a fresh valve cover gasket kit when doing a timing chain and/or valve adjustment and has to (for whatever reason) pull the valve cover multiple times during the process to get something correct (i.e. readjust valves), it's possible one can reuse the fresh gaskets (provided one has re-cleaned the fresh gaskets of oil and sealants) being that it has not had time to harden from heat. And, I don't know what FSM you're referring to, but the one I have says 8 and 12 cold:
Pg. EG1-35
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../7cylinder.pdf

Anyway, no big deal, but that's the reasoning behind suggestion/question. It just seems so unneccessary to me to replace them if they're still new. But, then I don't know how badly he squashed things overtightening. So....

Overtightening the valve cover is not unheard of. I've read threads in the past where this was done...pulling up on the rocker arm and throwing things off.

Last edited by thook; 07-25-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I always just scrape the old rtv off the half moons, hit the entire mating surface with brake cleaner and a wipe, apply fresh rtv from 1/2" of one side of the half moon to 1/2" past the other , put on the valve cover and snug all 4 nuts then tighten in a crisscross by feel until they're just snug, profit...

I have been known to put rtv under the half moon too... I hate leaks.

And I'm still amazed that was the problem. What did you put them at the first time, 100 ft lbs?

HAHAHAHHAHA no he didn't torque them down that tight, but he did crank on them, and you couldn't even see the rubber grommets anymore. I think he was just scared it may leak, not realizing the bad consequences of over torquing. You see, we initially thought is was the valve adjustment making the noise... and it was the second time going over the valves to make sure they were ok that i watched him put on and torque the cover down real tight. I was too stunned to reallize that crankin that puppy down tight could cause issues.

My buddy took a bit of offence when i told him i discoverd "Through yota tech" it was the valve cover being way too tight. He just didn't realize it, and it's an honest mistake. He did a great job on the valves, timing chain, water and oil pump...... but as you could tell by my thread, it "sounded" like somthing went horribly wrong.... and you could see it in his face when he dropped the 4runner off too me, he looked worried and so did i.
She's running great still, sounds awsome. I've elected just to change the valve cover gasket Just in case it's malformed, and do the cover clean and to spec.

I was at work and talking to a few back yard mechanics about the valve cover, and they too have said, it must go on even, with new gaskets and propper torque, or the rockers will beat the snot out of it.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by skinnadoor
and you couldn't even see the rubber grommets anymore.
OH...well, that case! Holy mackerel! Yeah, new gasket set.

I'm going to actually torque mine, but I've always just tightened it down evenly as I can with the grommet rubber just slightly bulging. Mine may not be too tight. I suppose I'll know for sure when I can my hands on a torque wrench that does in.-lbs.

Anyway, glad you fixed it.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
OH...well, that case! Holy mackerel! Yeah, new gasket set.

I'm going to actually torque mine, but I've always just tightened it down evenly as I can with the grommet rubber just slightly bulging. Mine may not be too tight. I suppose I'll know for sure when I can my hands on a torque wrench that does in.-lbs.

Anyway, glad you fixed it.

Yes, beer tonight for sure. And you don't need a torque wrench, in your case, you would just have to back them off a bit, and listen for the change in sound.....Then like me, you will know it's on too tight.

This is what i did if you want to give it a shot.

Wait till she's good and warm . Start with the front bolts, just do one complete turn at a time, so you can keep track of how many turns you backed them off. the sound changed immidiatly for me, 43inch pounds isn't alot "which is set cold", i backed them all off" when it was good and hot" untill i could spin them with my fingers, "At this point the sound was gone" then brought them all back finger tight. Then about 1 or 2 turn's with the wrench. I got my mitt's on a 0-100 inch pounds torque wrench at work today, and tried it out with a bolt. 43inch pounds is not alot of force at all.

If you have to give her to break the torque to get them off, could be a sighn they were over torqued, probly not by the factory, but by whoever may have yanked your cover off in the past.

Today it was 32C, and the noise was there just a bit , backed them off, 3/4 of a turn on both front valve cover nuts the sound dissapeared . I'm possitive now she is tweeked to just the right torque, But you can see how touchy it is. so just be paitent.

Remeber in my case, i have a 1 month old valve cover gasket, half moon cam plugs and 4 bushings....

Last edited by skinnadoor; 07-26-2007 at 10:27 AM.