Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Well I guess it's time to do the 3.0 ISR mod. Help please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can anyone give me a price approx on that pipe, to make sure im not getting ripped off?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by infiltrator
yeah, so i went to home depot today, and they tell me that they dont have or even sell 3'' pipe and that no where around here does. i find that very hard to believe.

what can i do?

recomendations?
\do NOT believe them.
i cannot count the times sales associates flat out told me "nope, never seen that" and found wanted product on the way out.

actually the funniest was when x-box came out, i played it the day before at the mall, and my friend and me went asked this guy where the xbox stuff was, he swore no-one can even find any at that time due to legal constraints.

on the way out, they had a x-box demo and fully operational. (the guy called me a liar that i played it at the mall).
anyways.-

i know you can find those pipes at a local auto-zone (in the muffler area) and they commonly are bent and also have clamps, sealants, exhaust wraps, etc.

i also like Ace true value stores, as well as LOWES, bc lowes has so much more "hard to find" nuts/bolts.

good luck, and take pix, as i want to do this too.
now my tube is on by duct tape and a zip tie. (gotta do something soon, but its holding up just fine, and not a daily driver yet).
Old 12-23-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
look for electrical conduit like elvota said...
Old 12-24-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, if you asked for 3" steel or galvanized, basically metal of any type, then HD ain't got it. The conduit Jay used is plastic. And as far as the drilling part goes, use a center punch or any old sharp object and a hammer to put a slight dent in the tube(whichever ya use), then make sure the tube is secured well in a vise or something so it won't twist on ya or nothing. I used 3" exhaust tubing, pre-bent to a 45* and then just punched, drilled a couple 1/32nds smaller than the 1/2" fittings I was using and then threaded the holes with a tap. A tap specific to plumbing, so if you don't already have one, or know someone with one(it'll be NPT, stands for National Pipe Thread), it'll make this project more expensive and I would recommend goin with the plastic conduit. The conduit would also be easier to cut.

Idanity: Yeah, sorry if you've been led to believe HD didn't have something, most of the employees are only shown one department and not made to stock the shelves, so they won't necessarily know what the Hell they got an don't. That, and the fact that HD does in fact hire lots of mouth-breathing idiots, like any very large company has to just to get warm bodies on the sales floor.

Jay: ya said the intake noise didn't increase, but what about your throttle response?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:56 PM

yes, that will definately be my #2 try if i cannot find any metal pipe at a muffler shop, or if its like over 25 bucks.

ill keep in touch, why is anyone on yotatech now, GO ENJOY XMAS :]
Old 12-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Hell I had to work today! You enjoy your Christmas too, I am now.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Ok, if you asked for 3" steel or galvanized, basically metal of any type, then HD ain't got it. The conduit Jay used is plastic. And as far as the drilling part goes, use a center punch or any old sharp object and a hammer to put a slight dent in the tube(whichever ya use), then make sure the tube is secured well in a vise or something so it won't twist on ya or nothing. I used 3" exhaust tubing, pre-bent to a 45* and then just punched, drilled a couple 1/32nds smaller than the 1/2" fittings I was using and then threaded the holes with a tap. A tap specific to plumbing, so if you don't already have one, or know someone with one(it'll be NPT, stands for National Pipe Thread), it'll make this project more expensive and I would recommend goin with the plastic conduit. The conduit would also be easier to cut.

Idanity: Yeah, sorry if you've been led to believe HD didn't have something, most of the employees are only shown one department and not made to stock the shelves, so they won't necessarily know what the Hell they got an don't. That, and the fact that HD does in fact hire lots of mouth-breathing idiots, like any very large company has to just to get warm bodies on the sales floor.

Jay: ya said the intake noise didn't increase, but what about your throttle response?
I hardly noticed any change at all, I wouldnt have even bothered unless my stock one was broken.

I think because the pipe has different inside diameter ( 45 degree adapter) so its acting like a silencer.

The pipe its 3" ID so its not TOO big, but I was disapointed. I was looking forward to that "roar" that everyone says their ISR mod gives them.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by infiltrator
yes, that will definately be my #2 try if i cannot find any metal pipe at a muffler shop, or if its like over 25 bucks.

ill keep in touch, why is anyone on yotatech now, GO ENJOY XMAS :]
I am enjoying Christmas by being on Yotatech. I do not have a life....

edit ------ what does ISR stand for?

Last edited by phildelfino; 12-24-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:41 PM

"Intake Silencer Removal" search on here theres a write-up

I am going to get the materials tomorrow, and hopefully get my camera working so i can take some pictures.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:03 PM

we ripped a hose. After that we tried starting the truck up and it wouldnt run (died, even though its a small rip in the hose maybe an inch)

How about cleaning the rip with alcohol, let it dry, and go to the hardware store and buy some rubber glue such as "shoe Goo" or similar thick glue. Lowes or Home Depot has tons of rubber repair glues. Simply repair the rip and drive home.

My $0.02
Old 12-27-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's what I did to my truck. The Brass fittings were more expensive than the conduit or the plumbing fixtures. Works great and sounds good too.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
^^ That's a better picture of what I pretty much ended up with as well. ^^
Old 12-27-2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
we ripped a hose. After that we tried starting the truck up and it wouldnt run (died, even though its a small rip in the hose maybe an inch)
A 1" rip - you might as well have taken the thing off altogether. It lets air bypass the sensor and confuses the computer. Small cracks that you can't even see have been known to cause big problems.

That pipe should be darn-near free at the muffler shop.

I recently had some work done on my Alfa where they had to cut out a couple sections, bend some pipes to fit (slightly differently) and weld them back into place. Grand total: $65.

They bend and cut pipe like that all day long. It'll cost them maybe a buck or two in material and maybe 10 minutes of labor.

C

Last edited by GV27; 12-27-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:53 AM

hey guys i was looking on some other forum i found searching google. Someone just bought a 3" intake kit from summit racing for $40 and it looks like it fit perfectly. Unfortunatly its chrome, but that looks better than some half a$$ pvc pipe. Just a thought.
Intake kit: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisnxl185
Unfortunatly its chrome, but that looks better than some half a$$ pvc pipe.
Opinions vary.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I like that little intake system. I think I might have to buy it My engine could use some bling
Old 12-28-2007, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisnxl185
hey guys i was looking on some other forum i found searching google. Someone just bought a 3" intake kit from summit racing for $40 and it looks like it fit perfectly. Unfortunatly its chrome, but that looks better than some half a$$ pvc pipe. Just a thought.
That's what I did. Went down to my local ricer shop and picked up a generic intake. I had to make cuts at both ends to get the bend just right. $30. There's about a 1/4" clearance between the pipe and the booster, not easily seen in this pic.

Last edited by Denk; 12-28-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:58 AM

Denk, your ISR mod is one of the cleanest looking i've seen. do you have any pics of the fitting locations?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:38 PM

pretty,

okay so update here.
i bought the intake tube, cost me 20 bucks. in california, they get you for everything...

i used the dimensions on here for 15 3/4 inches, and bent it like a "rainbow" rather than at a certain place. turns out thats too big, so im going to mark the tube, go back, and get it bent just a little more (its close, but it needs a slight bend more) and cut about 2 inches off of that.

i think the guy did a crap job bending my pipe. but oh well, if the shoe fits, you know...

then its off to the hardware store. ive been working non-stop except xmas, so tomorrow is my first day off.
its going in tomorrow. :]

ive been reading up on "national pipe thread" and im starting to understand fully what you mean johnny. by any chance, do you think hd or lows will drill it for me? instead of me having to buy the threaded bit?
Old 12-28-2007, 05:06 PM

I doubt it, unless you have ALOT nicer people working in your area HDs or Lowes than in mine. You have no idea how hard it is for me to find tools to fix the crap people break running the forklifts, so I don't think they'd have an NPT tap out of the package to use on customer's stuff. If you really need to go that route, see if any retail plumbing shops in the area will do it. Your best chance without buying it, sorry.

Quick Reply: Well I guess it's time to do the 3.0 ISR mod. Help please?