Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

"Weak" A/C Compressor on 3VZE

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Weak" A/C Compressor on 3VZE

I have a '94 TOY P/U with the 3.0 and I've been up and down, not to mention back and forth trying to get my A/C too work perfectly.

I've had some issues with the evaporator but those issues have apparently been addressed and taken care of already by the dealer.

It turns out now that the compressor is running a little "weak"

According to dealer's test result, the compressor wasn't showing high numbers when they tested the compressor. It is still working, however, just not the way it should.

Toyota wants $1400 for a new compressor.

Napa prices are at around $600.

I could afford Toyota's price but I would never pay that much for a compressor. Napa's I would pay.

What are your thoughts and opinions when reading this?

What course of action would you all take?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:00 PM

When I was in school and my AC went out, I paid Toyota to put on a reman compressor, dryer, and for labor and it was well under $1K. That was 6 years ago, and it still works fine. I still have all the paperwork with the prices and labor on it.

I know your quote was for a new one, but that it terribly expensive.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
im going to assume that "week" high side numbers means low.

this can be cause by a number of things... 1) low freon 2) its not real warm outside so the temp diffrence between the high (side) and low(side) isnt much 3) without good air flow over the condensor you dont get good pressure drop and the highside will fall.

so i would wait for a warmish day
put a large fan infront of the condensor

if the highside is still low, drop a can of freon in.

99% of the time the compressor either works or it doesnt.... sounds like classic stealership if you ask me
Old 04-26-2006, 08:59 PM

Jeff, thanks for your thoughts.

Snap, the system is full. Dealer even went ahead and evacuated the full system and recharged it back up - at least that's what they tell me.

I think you're on too something about outside temperature. Temperature here in Phoenix has been in the low 90s these last couple days and even lower the past few weeks. I'm still trying to comprehend the "high side" and "low side"............

For sake of clarity, here's some background.

March of '05, had Toyota put a new evaporator in. Worked fine all summer but quit during winter break. Come Feb of '06, found out system was not working so I took it in to Toyota. Found bad o-rings inside evaporator, replaced some other stuff inside. If I recall right, something about expansion valve, some switch, and other o-rings. A/C worked fine for ten days, then problems began. Ice cold air went away and would only get cool, at best. At idle, it cooled; while driving, it got warmish. At the two highest settings, it wouldn't cool at all. The two lowest settings would cool just enough to get by.

Today was test drive once again after dealer visit and I'm just having a hard time convincing myself it's not doing the same thing. It's not hot enough to put it to the test, I think.