Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Vibration is driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is your drive shaft like? Does it have a cardon joint or just a U joint on each end? One piece or two piece drive shaft?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:34 PM

Your angles should not be whats giving you the problem unless you have done something to change the angle of your drive shaft then started get the vibration. Have you done any kind of lift to the truck since your vibration started?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Armalite
Thanks
I am almost to the point where I want to push it of the cliff......but its my baby and couldn't forgive myself if I did it.
I felt like that too wanted to get rid of it but at the time it was my daily driver and I couldn't afford anything else . The garage that worked on it treated me good they were on a quest to find out what was wrong with it. they even set the driveshaft to a local shop to have them check it out they said it was good . but never could fig. it out , it was one of the best trucks I have had it never let me down , good luck
Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would hope you have checked for things like broken bed mount hardware.

Bad spring bushings

People tend to always over look non rotating parts.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by rhill
Sorry if I didn't read everything clearly enough...but have you tried driving around in front wheel drive while the rear driveshaft is off? I guess you already took the shaft to the shop...but if the vibration goes away you know your problem is somewhere back there.
I put it in front wheel drive with rear shaft removed and it felt pretty smooth which is why i dropped the driveshaft off to be balanced.

Originally Posted by Polaris2012
you mentioned that you had a little play in the transfer case. A little play can make a vib. I had hardly any play at all in my pinion end and I had a bad vibration. Ended up having the rear end rebuilt and the vib went away. i was shocked that the little play I had caused the truck to shake as bad as it did.
Yep I have a very very small amount of play at the transfer case output flange and none at the rear diff flange. That bearing will be replaced next if the driveshaft balance doesn't fix it.

Originally Posted by Polaris2012
What is your drive shaft like? Does it have a cardon joint or just a U joint on each end? One piece or two piece drive shaft?
It is a one piece with 2 u joints.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I would hope you have checked for things like broken bed mount hardware.

Bad spring bushings

People tend to always over look non rotating parts.
Bed is mounted solid. Shackle bushings were replaced when I put on longer shackles. I also put the stock shackles back on yesterday and got the same vibes. Today I get to put the longer shackles back on again....
Thanks again for all the help. Hope my driveshaft is done on Thursday.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 PM

I got the driveline back and installed with the same vibration... Axle shims are on there way to my house so I will let you know if those help or not. If that doesn't fix it I am going to replace the xfer case output shaft bearing. When I get the bearing is there a brand that I should be looking for? Thanks again for the help
Old 10-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Update

Well after taking a long break due to frustration...the tire shop replaced the km2s with bfg kos. Huge improvement but still a very slight vibration I think due to poor balancing. Sold it and bought an 86 4runner with a whole new batch of headaches lol... Sorry for the long delay in posting and thank you everyone who posted up and tried to help.