Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

turbochargin a 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
Somebody had to say it... Clean your ears out and listen... YOU ARE WRONG.

Skip ahead to 2:50 and listen. Also listen when he hits the ramp... He feathers the gas...

Don't argue with physics, man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtkpLNocL-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMz6khtJGs8
What does 2:50 have to do with turbo lag? have you ever even driven a turbo charged Z06, I'm willing to bet you have not furthermore what the hell does feathering the gas have to do with lag? He says first through 2nd are useless in a Z06 I'd argue that and say 1st through 3rd are useless, I know this because there is one parked on the side of my house that I drive daily. Where you place the turbo at does not create lag, do some research then get back to me with facts

Even in the 2nd video you posted up still doesn't prove your point, the power is right above 2000 rpm there, that is pretty damn good

Back to the head gaskets being an issue, yes you are correct on that but thats why I told him he would have to ditch the cross over pipe and def go with a stronger gasket, the Engine is not the problem the design of some of the components is the problem, not to mention how they were initially installed, I can print the TSB straight from TIS if you would like next time I'm at work

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 02-13-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:56 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Booosted Supra
furthermore what the hell does feathering the gas have to do with lag?

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-13-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 AM

He clearly feathered for traction, that car roasts tires 1-5th gear WITHOUT turbo, dont talk about a car you know nothing about thats all. Not to mention I'm still waiting to hear how turbo placement creates lag, because there are 4 race cars behind my property in my garage that have pretty far turbo placements from the head, so I'm still waiting and not one of them spool up any later than 3k and thats the supra running an HX40, There are PLENTY other factors to get into while running a stock bottom and and "living with it" while boosting, how about a/f ratio? looking at o2 percentages? plenty other things I'm not even going to get into and thats why some people get away with running STOCK motors over others who just slap turbos and go

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 02-13-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
You can also turbo a Tercel but it wouldn't make much sense!
Not true. About 7 years ago I bought a 94 Tercel from an old man down the street at my parents house for $200. This was just a project car. A car that I could learn from and play with. I tore the motor apart, rebuilt it with lower compression, had a local shop do a turbo manifold for it and I turbo'd it. I ran in upwards of 15lbs on it and it ran like a beast. I got 25+ MPG and it was fast, so why wouldn't it make sense? I then decided that I wanted more. So, I sourced a turbo'd Toyota Starlet motor and did the swap. Now, that was the ugliest, fastest car ever. I used that car to try my hand at nearly everything. I painted it myself, made a body kit for it myself and just had fun with it.

In short, if you have the knowledge and money to turbo a 3vze, then by all means give it a shot. It's crossed my mind numerous times.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by airkewld4life
Not true. About 7 years ago I bought a 94 Tercel from an old man down the street at my parents house for $200. This was just a project car. A car that I could learn from and play with. I tore the motor apart, rebuilt it with lower compression, had a local shop do a turbo manifold for it and I turbo'd it. I ran in upwards of 15lbs on it and it ran like a beast. I got 25+ MPG and it was fast, so why wouldn't it make sense? I then decided that I wanted more. So, I sourced a turbo'd Toyota Starlet motor and did the swap. Now, that was the ugliest, fastest car ever. I used that car to try my hand at nearly everything. I painted it myself, made a body kit for it myself and just had fun with it.

In short, if you have the knowledge and money to turbo a 3vze, then by all means give it a shot. It's crossed my mind numerous times.
THANK YOU, Tercels use to be all over the place when they were new, I have seen quite a few that were turbo charged, they were by no means "fast" but they worked, thats my point, there are plenty of things out there that people wouldn't usually make go fast and do. Prime example is a ford 2.3L thunderbird/SVO, now talk about an engine with junk for management and total crap for components all around, yet there is a 10 second Mercury Capri sitting in my garage right now with a Megasquirt and street tune

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 02-13-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:04 AM

3.4 it. its so easy for you....you already have the 3.0 so its a drop in. just a bit of wiring and other small things. its a tried and tested motor. i would have done it in a heartbeat but my with 86 22re there would have been too much work. if you DO turbo it, just get the turbo on, run it, see if/how it works, and if your happy with it, tear it down and do the hg's and arp hardware. it would suck to do all of the fuel mapping, wiring, and turbo fab to find out its still poop
Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 AM

THANK YOU, Tercels use to be all over the place when they were new, I have seen quite a few that were turbo charged, they were by no means "fast" but they worked, thats my point

Exactly. When I said my Tercel was fast, I meant that it was fast for a Tercel and I could kill my neighbors 01 Mustang GT but that was the fastest car my Tercel ever beat
Old 02-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by sas'd22re
3.4 it. its so easy for you....you already have the 3.0 so its a drop in. just a bit of wiring and other small things. its a tried and tested motor. i would have done it in a heartbeat but my with 86 22re there would have been too much work. if you DO turbo it, just get the turbo on, run it, see if/how it works, and if your happy with it, tear it down and do the hg's and arp hardware. it would suck to do all of the fuel mapping, wiring, and turbo fab to find out its still poop
Right, just find what area's needed to be improved on thats all it is, testing, trial and error
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM

hey boosted supra, im doing a 7mge into my sas'd 86 xtra cab. full rebuild, hks 1.2mm mhg, arp studs, head completely rebuilt. its gonna be sick. im just waiting on my injectors being cleaned, then the motor goes in and just have to plumb and wire it up!

Last edited by sas'd22re; 02-13-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 AM

I just picked up a 94 short bed, reg cab matching red to my 4Runner 2WD, I figure all these guys drop 5.0's and 350's into rangers and s10's why not drop a Jap domestic into a Jap truck tub her out and the whole 9 yards, I'm dropping a spare GTE motor into with a R154. Thats the way to go, I dont worry about bottom ends on the 7M's as much as everyone preaches about it, I run Cometic gaskets, Head studs, and all supporting mods and a good program
Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 AM

sweet! when we tore the 7m down, (after 190,000km's) there was still a hone on the cylinder walls, the bearings were perfect (we replaced them anyways), and the piston skirts looked mint! super happy to find that! i bought some supra parts off of an older guy and he has a 3rd gen xtra cab 2wd with a 7mgte in it. its lowered, discs in the rear...super clean body. it hauls
Old 02-13-2010, 11:02 AM

What i am thinking is put in the turbo first before the p&p and the hg to see how it does. my hg is doin good right now so i am gonna let it be, if i get any problems all replace it with a stronger one.
ya i know its not gonna be crazy fast but i dont want it for that, all i want is more torque so at least i can tow my car to the track and back and feel happy that i did somethin that not many people have
Old 02-13-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnerguy
What i am thinking is put in the turbo first before the p&p and the hg to see how it does. my hg is doin good right now so i am gonna let it be, if i get any problems all replace it with a stronger one.
ya i know its not gonna be crazy fast but i dont want it for that, all i want is more torque so at least i can tow my car to the track and back and feel happy that i did somethin that not many people have
I say go for it and prove people wrong.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:15 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've towed several vehicles ranging from a Tacoma 2WD, a loaded (with crap) 4door 4Runner, a 76ish Ferd Bronco frame and axles... and if I recall correctly, a 4WD T100.

But I've got 4:56's, AT and I pulled them with 35's!!!! Just kidding, 235/75x15's...

Don't kid yourself. If you want more torque, I'd suggest a motor with a longer stroke... Your top end will be paying the price when you're towing...

Don't spend more money than if you could convert it to a 4.3...

To the OP, do you have a 5speed? Or Auto?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:45 AM

I am running 5speed 4.56 gears with 33x12.50 at the moment and its 2 inch body lift.
the rims are 15x10.50
Old 02-13-2010, 02:44 PM

I couldn't even imagine towing with my 4runner! haha, but then again I'm on 38's with an auto and 5.71's, a 5 speed and dual cases is def in my future of things to come because O/D kills everything on the highway with the autotragic. I did on the other hand do the AFM mod and advance my timing and it did wake the motor up some=)
Old 02-13-2010, 08:27 PM

also i would like the boost to start around 2500 rpm. hey booostedsupra i dont know if u used the heat wrap on ur supras exhaust is it any good?

Last edited by 4runnerguy; 02-14-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:19 AM

bumppp
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

I couldn't even imagine towing with my 4runner! haha, but then again I'm on 38's with an auto and 5.71's, a 5 speed and dual cases is def in my future of things to come because O/D kills everything on the highway with the autotragic. I did on the other hand do the AFM mod and advance my timing and it did wake the motor up some=)

i want to do the AFM mod but i can't get that stupid black cover off of it. its driving me nuts. i cut the seal and have been trying to pry it up. any advice?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4runnerguy
also i would like the boost to start around 2500 rpm. hey booostedsupra i dont know if u used the heat wrap on ur supras exhaust is it any good?
heat wrap on the exhaust will help spool the turbo up more quickly but also will cause the piping to degrade more quickly due to the heat build up.

Now, if you're serious about turbo'ing the 3VZE... a few things I'd recommend:
-rebuild the bottom end and keep the bearings to the small side of allowable clearances
-drop the compression a tad, if possible
-look in to o-ringing the block / head
-use studs on the head instead of bolts and check/recheck torque often
-find a way to get rid of the crossover pipe: maybe two smaller turbos, one on each side, then siamese the exhausts together under the body
-if the turbos are at or below oil pan level, you'll need some system to scavenge oil from the turbos and deliver it to the oil pan
-maybe look into using a colder thermostat to help keep head temps down a bit
-verify and/or modify the PCV system so it won't allow boost to pressurize the crankcase and blow oil out the seals
-at least switch to an ignition system (MSD maybe) that can handle boost-retard and detonation on its own instead of relying on the stock ECU to handle that
-avoid platinum spark plugs
-keep boost levels low to begin with until you verify the engine and ECU can cope with it then increase boost in small increments

And if you're really only looking for torque for towing, you may look into supercharging instead of turbo.

Quick Reply: turbochargin a 3vze