Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck still won't run!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoua
With the cold start injector banjo bolt loose, it will run, even when I give it gas. But fuel is spraying everywhere! With it tightened up, the motor will die.
sounds like water in the fuel line then. maybe do what was suggested above and unbolt the line and drain it into a container for a bit.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:12 PM

I will try those...is it possible that fuel is trapped at the fuel injectors? Oh yeah, the truck will run with just carb cleaner sprayed in the intake.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 PM

did you clean out the wire plugs going to the fuel pump you may have a short in the line or in a plug going to the pump
Old 10-23-2007, 09:53 PM

Fuel pump works. I can hear it.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:00 PM

i dont know what else to tell ya maybe pull the injectors and get them tested.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 PM

I would guess that the fuel pump uses more electricity under a load "while giving it more gas"

electricity travels the path of least resistance if the plug has water in it ,it is possible that it is passing threw to the other contact maybe 1 out of 100 chance but still possible.

and it is a easy check

from what you have explained there is not to much more to check obviously it will run if it is running on eather so it is getting spark and will run.
and gets fuel from the cold start.

if it where me in your shoes I would pull the injectors and check them and flush the fuel rail.
ohm out the fuel pump and make sure it is good rent a fuel pressure tester.
I am pretty sure they sell a water remover additive for gas I would try something like that as well.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 PM

I've already dumped the water remover additive in the new fuel. I will try those methods tommorrow, since it's my day off. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM

Have you bled the system , should have drained the tank and then broken return line somewhere and turned it on and pumped (all that you could) all the water/fuel out then add gas and bleed again same way , it could have water laying everywhere so large amount of gas dryer would be good because your system was probably pure water since the water hits the bottom the pump would be moving pretty much pure water with as little as a quart in the tank and the more the better -your fuel was no longer fuel
Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 PM

I checked my fuel system today. It still ran on carb cleaner, or if I flooded the intake manifold with fuel via cold start injector, but not on fuel delivered through the injectors. There was water at the fuel rail, about 20-25% of the liquid was water, the rest fuel. I drained the gas tank (again), and cranked out as much fuel as possible through the fuel rail. I will bring the injectors to work tommorrow and have the mechanics check them to see if they're okay, but they have the correct resistance though. I need new o-rings and gaskets for the injectors anyway. Right now my fuel system is dry (I hope!).

n4ynu1010, good idea on bleeding the system. Will try.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:00 AM

Swimming Repairs

I checked my fuel system today. It still ran on carb cleaner, or if I flooded the intake manifold with fuel via cold start injector, but not on fuel delivered through the injectors. There was water at the fuel rail, about 20-25% of the liquid was water, the rest fuel. I drained the gas tank (again), and cranked out as much fuel as possible through the fuel rail. I will bring the injectors to work tommorrow and have the mechanics check them to see if they're okay, but they have the correct resistance though. I need new o-rings and gaskets for the injectors anyway. Right now my fuel system is dry (I hope!).

n4ynu1010, good idea on bleeding the system. Will try.
At least if you bleed you can get all that water out of the return line as well as the rail and such
If you do that........ try to bleed return close to tank so you get it all without it returning to tank , although if you bleed good at rail and drain tank again like you said then you should have most of it , just make sure you use some more "Gas Dryer" , injectors should have been fine but sounds like your a bit like I am - if I am going to take something apart I always get anal hehe and make sure I get it all right going back together

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-25-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 PM

Checked the injectors today. They have correct ohm readings, and open and close correctly. They also spray correctly. I think I will also pull off my gas tank and empty it as much as possible, while everything is out anyway.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 AM

Wires

Replace the plug wires and check the intake and air cleaner for water.
If the Air Filter is wet you know where the water came from :-)
I don't remember seeing a drain hole for the Air Box so the only place the water can go is the intake manifold.

Remember, The fuel systems are pretty good at keeping water out since they keep fuel in. The water probably got in through the intake. You could have fried the AFM or rusted it shut, check the flapper inside.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 AM

does the truck have a air vane or mass air flow sensor?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 AM

Water in Fuel System

Checked the injectors today. They have correct ohm readings, and open and close correctly. They also spray correctly. I think I will also pull off my gas tank and empty it as much as possible, while everything is out anyway.
Cool , before you install the tank completely blow out the return line or sit the pump in a can of gas and jump it and bleed the system(return line) well , that way you will be sure you have all the water out though some will be laying in the filter so you may want to replace that as well or at least remove it and drain it .
The water will only lay in the filter housing if it is installed horizontally so if yours is in a vertical position then bleeding will suffice for that issue .
Old 10-26-2007, 09:41 PM

Air filter is dry, no water in intake or air cleaner/box.

Meter type? Not sure what it's called, but it's the one with the door that opens and closes when air is let in.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:38 AM

Water in Fuel System

Air filter is dry, no water in intake or air cleaner/box.

Meter type? Not sure what it's called, but it's the one with the door that opens and closes when air is let in.
I was taliking about the fuel filter , if it is mounted on frame rail horizontally then a large amount of water will be laying in fuel filter , it would be a good idea to remove it and drain it ..........then re-install .
If the fuel filter is vertically mounted then you would just have to bleed lines , if it is horizontal then it will have a large amount of water in it
Old 11-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Any updates? Did you get the submarine running again?
Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your c/s injector is shot unplug it it will take a lil bit for it to start but try that atlest thats what it sounds like now
Old 11-02-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will try to give some advice. I tried and tried to figure out what was wrong with my 1985 motorhome with a 22re. I had it down to bad fuel or a bad fuel pump. It did the same thing, start, dies, spray in some SF and it'll run. The problem was the sensor on top of the air cleaner box (don't know what its called, I am a carburetor guy), on mine the wire had got caught in the box by jiffylube and had broke. I rewired it and it was good. Maybe you should inspect the wiring, take the plug off, clean, etc. If all else fails maybe try one from a known working truck.
Hope this helps
Old 11-03-2007, 10:37 AM

It runs! I emtied the fuel tank once again, let it air out for about 5 days, then put new fuel in it, along with some water remover additive. Pumped out the fuel through the fuel lines again, until there was only about 3% water that I could see. Pulled the fuel filter again, and shook out all the fluid in there. Re-installed injectors with new grommets/gaskets, and it fired right up and ran. Then my battery died. I had just put a new one in about 2 weeks ago. So I exchanged it for a new one. It starts again, but it turns out the alternator is dead!

So could I have killed the alternator as well by drowning it? Could it be the electrical wires connecting it? How do I inspect it? Should I just shell out for a remanufactured alternator?

Quick Reply: Truck still won't run!