Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's time for a 3.4 swap.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I think it's time for a 3.4 swap.
If anything it will be a 1UZ-FE or 2JZ-GTE swap.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
did you guys check out the cap/rotor? Sure you got the plugs going on the right firing order?
Try swapping out the coil+igniter from another truck, only takes about 5 mins to unhook and install.
Cap and rotor are not new but in good shape physically. Wires are new and each is labeled from NGK. I don't think Scott would let me remove part of that pretty truck.

Did you test your old one Jay? I forget.

Jason
Old 12-02-2007, 09:34 PM

this may sound stupid, but did you get all the rings in right? Get the gaps opposite of each other? Not get any of them upside down? Just a thought, have you tried a compression test on the engine? Might not be a bad idea at this point.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Green93
Cap and rotor are not new but in good shape physically. Wires are new and each is labeled from NGK. I don't think Scott would let me remove part of that pretty truck.

Did you test your old one Jay? I forget.

Jason
Yep, no worky. Not sure which part or both are/is bad.

Originally Posted by slater442w30
this may sound stupid, but did you get all the rings in right? Get the gaps opposite of each other? Not get any of them upside down? Just a thought, have you tried a compression test on the engine? Might not be a bad idea at this point.
I think you might have scared him with that post.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM

While cranking the starter and his Pa-in law turning the distributor bolt back and forth, turning it to an much advance point would get it to start and run very low and rough, almost like it was running on one or 2 cylinders, and then when he turned the distributor slightly back so it was slightly advanced as opposed to way advanced, that would keep it running but again, very slow, and very rough. Maybe 100 RPM's at best, and then it would backfire and die. That's my best description of it. It was turning the distributor back and forth. But then when we tested, as described above, the theory that the distributor was 180 out, it would just crank and crank and crank and no fire, period, so we turned it back and the above description was what continued.
If I had to say, on my limited engine knowledge what it was, I'd say timing. But Jason is pretty sure he nailed his timing belt down perfect, so I don't know what else it could be considering we had it at top dead centre when we set the distributor in no.1 cylinder, and everything seems ok. When I think about the fact that the distributor being turned a bit to an advanced state gets it started and running very poorly with his foot pushing down the gas, it makes me almost think either the timing is out like 90 degrees, or very very little gas is getting through, but then why would it backfire unless an intake valve was open letting an explosive mixture through to the intake. Pardon my discussion amongst myself, it's just an idiot with limited engine knowledge rambling. I'm sure Jason is going to talk to a few people on the phone tommorrow as well as try a few ideas from this thread and hopefully she fires right up.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by slater442w30
Yep I'm sure they are correct. I spent alot of time on that page of the FSM. Plus the engnbldr kit is even color coded for guys like me.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:08 PM

Yup - Jason has come the closest out of just about anyone to officially mating with a 3vze. That assembly lube makes Astroglide look like glue!

Quite honestly I'm impressed with how smooth everything has gone with Jason's engine. He's done an outstanding job and I can't wait til this little glitch gets solved and she fires right up. The modifications he's undertaken too boot should make a schweet difference in power and driveability. And him being one of the guinea pigs of the LCE Header crowd is very much appreciated by guys such as myself.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 AM

Compression check... must have compression in order to run...
Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 AM

OK, just realized you put in some aftermarket cams. Now, did you set all the valve clearances with the new cams? Did your head machinist grind the valve tips to set the clearances? If not, you have little to no compression which is what others have been asking about. As for the rings, even if they were in wrong, it would still run. I use Hasting iron rings because they tolerate some crappy cylinder walls and still seat quickly. Their second ring must be installed as a downward scraper.

Need to check your compression.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
Need to check your compression.
Thank you for the agreement. I know it would suck if that is the problem cause I've been there. I put in some cams, and knew nothing about valve clearances until it was too late.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
OK, ran into similar problem after rebuild. Finally figured engine was flooding. Problem ended up being I connected the return line from the fuel pressure regulator to a vacuum port on the intake. So, it sucked a quart or two of fuel into the engine and down the intake and flooded the air filter box. What a mess. Once figured that out, it ran fine. Run a piece of weed wacker plastic line down the tubes that run under the intake to find which one on the other end is the fuel return line and same for all the other vacuum lines that disappear under the intake.
Ok.....It seems that we may have a winner here. Just got started...checked the plug wires again to make sure they were right and then popped open the air filter. It was bone dry but I could smell gas. I undid the intake piping and the little elbow between the filter and throttle body was full of gas. I took the rest off and got some rags to soak up all the gas. When I look into the throttle body I can see a little lake of gas. Jacked up the passenger side to let it drain out. I pulled all plugs to let everything air out. Plugs are still in order of which cylinders they came out of. Cylinders 1,2,and 3 look like they have fired. Slightly dark. But cylinders 4,5,and 6 look almost brand new like they haven't fired at all.

I guess I can rule out fuel pump and filter now. With that much gas in the intake plenum it wouldn't have been able to come from the cold start injector could it? So I could assume I connected the vacuum hoses the same was as SEAIRESCUE. All the hoses on the passenger side intake plenum were connected using Scott's truck as a guide. Which one did you end up having to change?? Everything just seemed to just line up when I did it. I'll look for pics of the 3 by the FPR. maybe I mixed one of those up. I'm on the hunt for pics.....

Jason
Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Those pictures I sent you help out?

hopfally the 91 is not too much different then the 93.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
OK, I'm going for the obvious here; you DO have the VAFM completely connected and wiring to it installed, correct?!? That's sure what the heck it sounds like right now....
Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

*thread jack* Hey TN what did you ever do to your 3.0 after you blew the hg again?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
*thread jack* Hey TN what did you ever do to your 3.0 after you blew the hg again?

I was giong to say that too. Yeah any news about your engine yet.

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 12-03-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
It's still setting in the driveway. I have a HG and part of the engine disassembled, but just been too busy (working two jobs to pay off the ex!). I bought a 1995 Ford Probe with 225,000 miles on it for $1,000.00 & been driving it for about 2 months.

Sorry for the thread jack!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Jason is cool

You ever find out what you did wrong?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 PM

Yes I found out what I did wrong. Or at least what I think I did. Just what SEAIRESCUE said. Connected one of the vacuum lines wrong and it sucked the intake full of fuel. Like a litre or two in the plenum and intake tube. Plugs are pulled and the throttle body is stuck open so it airs out.

I would assume that was the problem anyways...haven't tried it again yet.

Jason
Old 12-06-2007, 08:46 AM

did that fix it? I'm following your progress here, as I'm having the same problems to the T....whatever that means. My rig is a '90 3vze, but the symptoms are exactly the same. I've tried everything you have with no luck. I'm thinking the carburetor perhaps? I don't even know where my carburetor is on my truck. Yay.

Last edited by 3vzeDOLT; 12-06-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting 3vze after rebuild