Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Transfer Case Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 08:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Transfer Case Woes

I have a 1992 Pickup with a 4 cylinder engine. The transfer case has been whining more than it should while in 4WD and it rattles in 2WD. The rattle isn't dependent on speed, only vibration (road bumps and such). So I purhcased a major overhaul kit and ripped the thing apart. It was in mostly good shape . . . except some bad brinelling on my idler gear.

Video:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...jjjNFx-640.mp4

Has anyone else seen this? More importantly, anyone have an idler gear they want to sell?

Last edited by Joshuajayg; 05-19-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:52 PM

Received 631 Likes on 461 Posts
Trucks that are seldom run in 4WD sometimes show this kind of brinelling on front drive gears because these components
are motionless for long periods of time, and their journals just jiggle in one place, months, or years on end.

I bought an old case a while back that turned out to have lain with some water in it, so that the front output gear was severely pitted and ruined.

Its idler gear looks decent and usable, with a couple slightly pitted teeth, and after polishing its journal with some crocus cloth, I see some light bearing roller lines on it, but nothing that can be felt with your fingernail.

If you are interested in it, PM me and I'll shoot you a few pics of it.

Last edited by millball; 05-19-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:52 PM

Received 631 Likes on 461 Posts
Got your PM but cant get images to upload to a PM.

Here's the images of the gear I've got:: Closeup of the worst two teeth on the gear. The other darkness on some teeth is just a surface staining.

Last edited by millball; 05-19-2021 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:27 AM

@millball sent me the gear at a killer price and it looks better in person than in the photos he sent. I think I'll be safe.

Anyone install twin transfer case sticks in a forward shift t-case? I purchased a forward shift twin stick kit from LCE Performance but when it came, things weren't making sense. It is a Trail Gear product and their website specifically says it won't fit a W56 C or D with a single case (my truck.) LCE didn't have that information on their site (ugh) so here I am with a twin stick and nowhere to install it. There should be some way to install twin sticks in this truck. It's not exactly rocket science. I may get creative and see what I come up with.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:30 AM

Received 307 Likes on 211 Posts
Got pictures? It should bolt right on. It may not "work" because its too close to the 5speed shifter. So with the case in "low" the sticks may hit not allowing a 2-3 shift. options would be modifying one or both shifter so they can move without touching.

You do have to remove the t case from the vehicle to remove the interlock pin though in order for them to really work like a twin stick, did you do that when it was apart?

Last edited by rattlewagon; 05-26-2021 at 03:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dropzone (05-27-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Got pictures? It should bolt right on. It may not "work" because its too close to the 5speed shifter. So with the case in "low" the sticks may hit not allowing a 2-3 shift. options would be modifying one or both shifter so they can move without touching.

You do have to remove the t case from the vehicle to remove the interlock pin though in order for them to really work like a twin stick, did you do that when it was apart?
The transmission shifter and t-case shifter are on the same plate. Look at this photo...

There is nowhere to bolt it. I am considering two options to put a twin stick there. I have an idea how to modify the stock shifter, or I can hack up that top plate and adapt the twin stick I have.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:27 AM

Here's my shifter plate.

As you can see, the transfer case plate is not separate from the transmission shifter.

My plan is to cut the shifter and arm off the t-case shifter ball. Drill a hole through the center of the ball, cut the ball in half, secure a pin to one side and let the pin float in the other, then weld new sticks and arms on the separately rotating ball halves. I don't see a reason it can't work. Hardest part will be cutting the shifter ball in half.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:59 AM

Gotcha. Best of luck making it work!

Why so much work for 2 low? Could do the same thing by leaving the hubs unlocked in 4low? Not criticizing, just asking..

Would almost be easier to convert the case to a top shift.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 05-26-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Gotcha. Best of luck making it work!

Why so much work for 2 low? Could do the same thing by leaving the hubs unlocked in 4low? Not criticizing, just asking..

Would almost be easier to convert the case to a top shift.
Fair and valid question. With the front locked, it is nice to disengage the front while still keeping low range without having to get out and unlock the hubs.

Changing to a top shift is an option but then I'm $500 into a mod (twin stick and conversion kit) that is hard to justify. Then you add in the fact that I just did a major overhaul on this case and it's near $1000.

I haven't found any evidence of someone twin-sticking this setup and the challenge is interesting to me. If I screw it up, I can buy a used stock shifter and not be behind at all.

The interlock pin is removed. I'm going to run it like that for now. I find it unlikely I will end up out of hi-range on accident; let's hope I'm right. I think I will hack this shifter up in the next week.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:38 AM

The transfer case is installed and I drove 80 miles so far. The whine in 4wd is completely gone! However, the rattle is still there. I am now thinking the shift fork and clutch sleeve are rattling. I'm going to add some BG gear oil additive and see what happens.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:49 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
what kind of shape is the t/c mount in?

and i thought twin sticks could only be installed in a top shift transfer case, no a forward shift

Last edited by dropzone; 05-27-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
what kind of shape is the t/c mount in?

and i thought twin sticks could only be installed in a top shift transfer case, no a forward shift
The transfer case mount is shot and is on the list to replace. I don't see it contacting metal-on-metal but I don't see everything.

There is a twin stick sold for the forward shift transfer case but I think it only applies to bolt pattern, it still has to be converted to a top shift. There's no reason you can't manufacture a forward shift twin stick, it's just that no one has. Well, no one on forums I have searched has said so... a lot has happened in back yards that never makes it online.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:49 AM

I replaced the transfer case mount and that didn't fix the rattle issue. I'm going to add some BG gear oil stuff to see how that does next.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:38 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshuajayg
I have a 1992 Pickup with a 4 cylinder engine. The transfer case has been whining more than it should while in 4WD and it rattles in 2WD. The rattle isn't dependent on speed, only vibration (road bumps and such). So I purhcased a major overhaul kit and ripped the thing apart. It was in mostly good shape . . . except some bad brinelling on my idler gear.

Video:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...jjjNFx-640.mp4

Has anyone else seen this? More importantly, anyone have an idler gear they want to sell?
i take it the brinelling marks were due to a bad bearing. The bearing was replaced as part of the major rebuild kit?

. There's no reason you can't manufacture a forward shift twin stick, it's just that no one has. Well, no one on forums I have searched has said so... a lot has happened in back yards that never makes it online.
no market for it or too much of a pain in the rear to make it work

Last edited by dropzone; 05-31-2021 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:33 AM

Changing to a top shift is an option but then I'm $500 into a mod (twin stick and conversion kit) that is hard to justify. Then you add in the fact that I just did a major overhaul on this case and it's near $1000.

I mean.. the most expensive part in the top shift conversion is the shifter, which I think you already have. After that it just cutting down rails and modifying the shift forks. Its still bit of work, but seems about on par as splitting a shifter ball. Haha. Either way, interested to see what you come up with.

Transfer Case Woes-wfkcem8l.jpg

Old 06-04-2021, 08:53 AM

@rattlewagon The brinelling was likely from non-use of the 4wd. If you never engage the front driveshaft, it won't spin and everything in the system will just sit there vibrating for miles and miles and mil........ The bearing was actually fine but it is replaced now. There is not a single bearing in the transfer case that isn't shiny new now. My wife was riding in the truck the other day and she said the sound was coming from under her feet. I leaned over and she is right. So it is either near the front companion flange or it is from somewhere in the driveline. I haven't greased the U-joins/cardan joint so I'll do that next.

I did replace the transfer case mount. No help. I still have the gear oil additive. I'm holding on to it for now until I grease things.

I agree that there isn't much of a market for the front dual-stick setup but maybe for different reasons than we think. Maybe since the transfer case has the hole for a shifter and the mod was likely developed before the forward shift, single plate setup came around, there was no reason to design a new kit, just keep making the old one. The benefit I see is there's no need to cut a new hole in the floor, the shifter doesn't end up super close to the seat, and you don't need another shift boot. Also, this way you can add a dual-stick without having to remove the transfer case.

Anyway, I'm not terribly motivated to do that mod yet. I don't have a second shifter and I'd like to hack up a different one than the one I'm driving with. Does anyone have a donation to the twin-stick experiment? I also need to seel my Trail Gear Twin Stick that I purchased. Never installed, just sitting on a bench.