Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tranfer case or Axles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranfer case or Axles?

I have an 1987 toyota with an auto trans. I have 33" tires on it, and i need to lower the gears. Which is better reducing the tranfer case, or changing gears in the T-case?? Which will be stronger and less tear on the drive line. This is off road only.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 PM

tcase gears, will only help in 4low. gears in the diffs will help all around, and a dual case setup will net the best off road performance. especially with diff gears and a 4.7 or 5.0 tcase gears.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 PM

The t-cases behind the auto trannies are very different and Im sure if you would not want to pay what it would take to make duals work.

Check Marlin Crawlers website to be sure and get the details.

Get a solid axle too.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TachedOutOffRoad
1.The t-cases behind the auto trannies are very different and Im sure if you would not want to pay what it would take to make duals work.

2.Check Marlin Crawlers website to be sure and get the details.

3.Get a solid axle too.

Only 1/3 of this was worth a darn.

1 is not true. It can be done, thankfully you did mention consulting the Marlin page, I invite you to do the same. Check Inchworm too.

2 is good advice

3 is really irrelevant

You can put duals behind that tranny.

Gearing the diffs impacts driving all the time. Gearing t-cases or adding t-cases only impacts 4 low but can add 2 low in dual case situations.

Please search.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:22 PM

You will find that axle gears only get you so far. If your only worried about offroad slow performance I would ditch the xcase you have now, and get a gear driven unit from marlin with a 4.7:1 gear set, with the auto that should be plenty low for you. No it wont help your onroad stuff, but even if you went to 5.71's you wouldnt get the performance you would from a 4.7:1 xcase gear set.. (almost 1mph slower with 4.7's at 1000rpm (assuming torque converter would lock)...then you can save up for 5.29's and lockers....

Last edited by AH64ID; 01-16-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:17 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're gonna run 33's with an auto, it's gonna be a DOG on the road. You need 5.29's in there before you even begin to think about transfer case gears.

John - Marlin doesn't sell chaindrive units - only gear drive.

I don't think Marlin has the auto adapter - only Inchworm, and you're still gonna need two new (to you) transfer cases.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein

1 is not true. It can be done, thankfully you did mention consulting the Marlin page, I invite you to do the same. Check Inchworm too.

How is #1 not true? He didnt say that it couldn't be done...just that it would be spendy. Inchworm charges $550 just for This Adapter alone PLus the cost of install...or you could attempt it yourself, but how many of us really know how to disassemble and mess with an auto trans/case.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
number one is NOT true.

The point is that the auto transfer case on his 4runner is EXACTLY the same as a Manual Transfer case. The difference is in the adapters. There are adapters for the auto, they are different than the manuals. The price difference is only a couple hundred bucks. That is much cheaper than all the other stuff that was suggested.

I installed my own 4.7 gears, and you DO NOT need to mess with the transmission. Only remove the xcase, and dissassemble, and Marlins site has excellent write ups.

Put Dual cases in, 4.7's in one, stock in the other, and you'll be very happy.

To gear for on road and offroad, you would need to regear the diffs.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Staff

???????

The auto cases and the manual cases are the SAME?? WTF?

87 Auto-cases are hydraulically controlled. In order to put lower gears, or a dual case behind a pre-95 Automatic Transmission, you will have to buy the adapter, AND provide a gear drive...or even TWO gear drive cases.

As quoted from the Inchworm website:

Originally Posted by INCHWORMGEAR.COM
"Somebody said it couldn't be done, but Inchworm did it! We are pleased to announce the availablility of our new Toyota Automatic Transmission Adapter. This adapter will allow you to bolt up a gear driven transfer case behind your factory automatic transmission in pre-'95, 4cyl or V6, Toyota 4x4 pickups and 4Runners.

It allows the use of Inchworm Double Transfer Case Adapters and Geared Cases behind factory automatic transmissions. Clockability allows stock rotation or up 10 degrees for added ground clearance. This adapter requires the use of a 23 spline input shaft.

This adapter does require a complete tear down of the factory automatic transfer case as well as some small part changing inside the transmission. Installation is available."
Simply put....all Pre-95 automatic trans Cases were build on/build off Chain drive hydraulically controlled. 84-88 Gear drive (which were behind Manual trannys ONLY) were unboltable from the Trans.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 01-15-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 PM

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...automatic+dual

This is how I read this.

Auto tranny to $550 Adapter to $75 gear driven top shift to $425 dual Adapter to $7 5gear driven top shift To run duals with auto=$1150

Manual to gear driven to $425 dual adapter to $75 gear driven case =$500

The auto adapter only allows you to bolt up a regular gear diven case to your weird auto case.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
???????

87 Auto-cases are hydraulically controlled. In order to put lower gears, or a dual case behind a pre-95 Automatic Transmission, you will have to buy the adapter, AND provide a gear drive...or even TWO gear drive cases.

Simply put....all Pre-95 automatic trans Cases were build on/build off Chain drive hydraulically controlled. 84-88 Gear drive (which were behind Manual trannys ONLY) were unboltable from the Trans.

Yeah Yeah Yeah--- posted while I was getting the proof-- too damn slow again!

Last edited by TachedOutOffRoad; 01-15-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:10 PM

3 is really irrelevant

Please search.
IMO, If you want to spend an extra $500 (or $1100) on drive train, a SFA is a better start than the ultimate duals + an adapter($1600).
Old 01-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Dual cases and IFS took me places open diff stock cased solid axles wouldn't dare.

I now have a solid axle to avoid steering/axle issues.

The chain drive cases are pretty close.

I have duals with an auto, but it is late model gear drive.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Staff

yea close...but they are still build on/build off cases. You cant just unbolt them. And 96+ 4runners used a shiftable/unboltable case anyways.

Funny how they did that....got it right in 96 and switched back in '03. DOH!
Old 01-15-2007, 07:49 PM

You can build them on and off either.

Chain drive, one is mechanical the other hydraulic.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dual cases and IFS took me places open diff stock cased solid axles wouldn't dare.
Yeah, people place WAY too much emphasis on SFA. IMHO, IFS locked f/r on 33's or 35's will take me anywhere I want to go with a truck that I care what it looks like (and has glass in it).
Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 PM

So the answer to what is better is the question, "better for what."

Putting dual cases into anything takes time and money.

Putting gears and lockers in takes time and money.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Staff

You can build them on and off either.

Chain drive, one is mechanical the other hydraulic.
True, true.

BUT

You cannot simply unbolt the case on the chain hydraulic auto trannys. On the chain drive manual cases, you can unbolt the entire unit from the transmission in one fell swoop. (6 or 8 bolts for the whole assy) Cant to that on the Auto trannys.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
???????

Ahh, typing too fast again...No, you are correct, and what i was trying to say, is that the swap is the same. You have to do the same things to both to get it to work (ie case removal, second case, adapters, yada yada), not that the cases themselves are the same. After re reading the post, i can see why you thought i was completely nuts. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by tc
If you're gonna run 33's with an auto, it's gonna be a DOG on the road. You need 5.29's in there before you even begin to think about transfer case gears.
I think he said he was only worried about offroad performance, in which case xcase gears will be much better than diff gears... this way he can save for gears/lockers... which will run more than xcase gears anyhow...

Originally Posted by tc
John - Marlin doesn't sell chaindrive units - only gear drive.
Fixed... brain fart was all

Quick Reply: Tranfer case or Axles?