Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Toyota Pickup 1993 Starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Toyota Pickup 1993 Starting problem.

Hi there everyone I hope you're having a great day im looking for some advice.

Here is a bit of back story about the car before the problems started. The car has 570,000k on it, with a 5 speed manual, 4 wheel drive and its a 3.0L v6 3vze. It has a rebuilt engine aprox 200k ago and a new fuel pump. I have been off roading the truck with no issues except for a freak stall on the highway back. It took several cranks to get it back up and running but it managed to make its way back. After this I took it out one more time with zero issued and parked it in my garage. A week goes by and I try to take the truck out and it wont start. I fully charged the battery but it didnt even bother trying to crank. I noticed a strong smell of fuel in the engine and it appeard as though the fuel injectors were leaking quite heavliy. I took the intake manifold off managed to replace all 6 seals on my injectors which fixed that problem. After this it fired right up but the werid thing is after driving it for a few minitues it did a similar thing to two weeks prior and just stalled while driving. This time it would not start back but unless i clutch started it and it hobbled its way back home. It now will not start back up and im not sure what to check or where to go. Ive checked all the spark plugs cleaned them off and it seems as though their getting fuel. The distributor cap seems clean and is getting the proper voltage so my guess is maybe a timing thing or maybe just bad injectors? Any help would be greatly apprecitated thanks guys.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Is it cranking at all this time? Can you still smell fuel?
Could be a malfunctioning cold start injector. I had one that was leaking fuel into the manifold and down into the cylinder areas. Flooded and wouldnt start. That was on one of my four 3VZEs I own and the only time I encountered that issue.
If not just start with the basics if you have not already: battery connections, spark, jumping the fuel pump...see where it goes from there.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MooseRunner
Is it cranking at all this time? Can you still smell fuel?
Could be a malfunctioning cold start injector. I had one that was leaking fuel into the manifold and down into the cylinder areas. Flooded and wouldnt start. That was on one of my four 3VZEs I own and the only time I encountered that issue.
If not just start with the basics if you have not already: battery connections, spark, jumping the fuel pump...see where it goes from there.

Hey man thanks for reaching out . That’s so cool how you’ve had a few of these, their definitely lots of fun. I just wanted to clarify a few things. The truck itself does crank as in starter tries to get it going, but the engine doesn’t actually turn on. As soon as I replaced the seals on the leaking injectors, the fuel smell stopped coming from the engine bay and i didn’t see any leaks. I have jumped the fuel pump and when I do I can hear it activate in the back. I can upload a short video this weekend to show you exactly what’s going on if that would help. Thanks a lot !