84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

trd90toyota's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trd90toyota's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

So, a couple of week ago, I flipped my truck. I hit some black ice, flipped the truck into a light pole. Everyone made it out and was ok. Here are some pics and as you can see, the truck is a loss. However, not a total loss. (I'm not parting it out, you'll see why in the bit)

Here she is before the wreck.

Here is the wreck.

As you can see I had a yard sale.

As you can see the basket took the majority if the truck falling on it.

Here is when the truck hit the pole.

Here is what happened to the pole.

Here is the front end.

So I have one wrecked 4Runner. Now, that I have took one 1st gen out, it being a turbo with a freshly rebuilt 22RTE motor with less then 5,000 miles on it, I was at a loss. Until I found a bone stock 1985 EFI 4Runner, 5 speed with 227k. Well, I shouldn't say bone stock. The person who owned it before I got it, took the carpet out and glued brown house carpet down. Nasty.

Want to pet my shag? There is even sag on the door.

Here is a shot of the back.

So now I have started to strip the 87. All the way to its bones. The 1985 is bone stock. It has manual windows, manual locks, bottom line, entry level. With the wreck, it is all body damage, so I'm going to have power windows, lock, a/c, cruse control, everything that came with the 87 put into the 1985. That means I'm going to have to swap everything, motor, ECU and the full wiring harness. I have a ton of work ahead of me, but a fun build up. I'm hoping to have all the work done before the CO4RJ this year.

So in a nut shell I'll have an 1987 4Runner with SFA!!!!

I'll keep updating this as the work goes on.

Last edited by trd90toyota; 04-10-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am glad you and your family are ok...

any suspension upgrades planned?

kat
Old 03-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
since you said its all body damage...would it not be easier to replace those body panels in the 87 versus moving everything to the 85? unless youre doing it all to get the solid front axle out of it...
Old 04-01-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by justinking060310
i am glad you and your family are ok...

any suspension upgrades planned?

kat
Thanks, everyone walked away. Seat belt save lives. As for suspension upgrades they are in the mix. I'm looking to do a 3 inch lift. I don't know what I'm going to do or when I'm going to do it. I need to get all of the other stuff transfered over first.

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
since you said its all body damage...would it not be easier to replace those body panels in the 87 versus moving everything to the 85? unless youre doing it all to get the solid front axle out of it...
It is all body damage, you can just swap the body, however, you sill have to remove everything in the body and yes I'm doing it for the solid front axle. I'm not quite sure that there is no frame damage and I don't want to risk it.

I'll post some more pics today to show the progress so far.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:26 AM

ouch ive seen something like that happen to another really nice turbo (they must be cursed) it got coke canned on the back by a jeep and threw a rod I bought it (or at least my dad did) and we're parting it out i still really like it though a good thing to do is switch all the chrome onto your new truck because that really raises the value iif you ever were to sell it and it's no much work.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnerlover
ouch ive seen something like that happen to another really nice turbo (they must be cursed) it got coke canned on the back by a jeep and threw a rod I bought it (or at least my dad did) and we're parting it out i still really like it though a good thing to do is switch all the chrome onto your new truck because that really raises the value iif you ever were to sell it and it's no much work.
I have started that, I have all ready switched the tail light assy and the front bumper. Also, I have switch the tires. So I'm running a 33x12.5 on a stock suspension. The tires are only rubbing at full lock. I feel like that the 4Runner has a really good stance.

In the left side of the picture, you can see the basket, it's only a little bent. I'm going to try go get it on top of the truck this week.

Last edited by trd90toyota; 04-01-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 PM

Where in colorado are you? i have some 4in rear lift springs for sale 40 dollars Good luck with everything and if you need a hand and arent too far away let me know.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:26 PM

so what r u parting out?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 PM

Man that sucks to hear about the runner. On the bright side it looks like the new one will be better then the old. If your looking for a hand or parts or to sell any of the turbo stuff let me know.

Russell
Old 04-25-2007, 11:12 AM

Smile

Sorry about the delay in posting. I?ve been very busy with stripping the truck down to the bare bones. Here are some pics of what I have been doing.

Here is a picture of tranny and transfer case out.

I now have the engine pulled out and I took the turbo off and let it drain all the oil out of it and I?ll soon have the intake manifold off to clean that as well.

I did get the roof rack on. It was just a bit bent, but it still works fine. I never really got a chance to show you all the new 4Runner. So here she is?

Here she is at my girlfriend place.

Then comes the poser pics.

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
Man that sucks to hear about the runner. On the bright side it looks like the new one will be better then the old. If your looking for a hand or parts or to sell any of the turbo stuff let me know.

Russell
Thank you, I'll let you know.

Originally Posted by runner4thebeat
so what r u parting out?
As I stated in the 1st post, I'm not parting out anything as of yet. As soon as the project is over, I'll let you all know.

I should have more pics up soon.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
Where in colorado are you? i have some 4in rear lift springs for sale 40 dollars Good luck with everything and if you need a hand and arent too far away let me know.
I'm not looking for springs yet, but thanks.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:08 PM

it makes me sad to see this...I just was looking through old pics of my turbo and i miss it
Old 04-25-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
am i the only one that cant see the pics?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
dam you worked that 4runner over good
Old 06-22-2007, 10:24 AM

Sorry about a delay. Work and socal matters have been keeping me busy. I just got the one inch lift shackles install and I'm going today to get some shocks. I got the dash all out of the truck, talk about a pain in the butt pulling that out.

I also go a (new to me) transfer case skid plate. I just need to get a picture of it installed, however here is a pict of the one I got.

I got it painted black.

Speaking of painting, I have been painting the frame black where it is visible and painted the lower valance white and that is installed.

Picts will be up soon...

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Well, Pics were not up soon, sorry, I go more now. So in the 2 months that I haven't posted there have been many improvements on the old girl since then. I installed one inch shackes, new shocks, sliders, swing-a-way spare tire carrier, and up graded the front brakes to the FJ 62 rotors and my 87 calipers. So here are some more pictures of her as the progress goes.

Here you can see the the transfer case skid plate as mentioned above. Also, you can see the sliders installed. As a note, if you do the brake upgrade, you WILL need to get wheel spacers if you are planing on using 15 inch wheels. I ran with 1.5 inch wheel spacer up front, this is do to the fact that the wheel will not clear the calipers.

If you go with a 16 inch wheel, you can fit the caliper.

As you can see in post 10, I just got the 33x12.5 to fit under the stock suspension. With the one inch lift with the suspension, they fit a lot better. Before I put the brakes on, I had the lift on and the tire didn't rub, now with the brakes and wheel spacer the tires rub only when full locked.

In this photo, you can see one of the best Craigs List finds I have ever found. I got this bumper for super cheep. All I had to do is just weld it on. I was too excited to grab a picture of it before I put it on. I added the 2nd Generation license plate holder from the swing-a-way tire carrier and wired it so it makes me legal and just added the Jerry Can hold and can today. (got to love the stock spare tire wheel, at least it is white.)

This is a better look that bumper. When I first got it on, it rattled all to hell. After a several attempts to keep the rattling down, I drove to 4 Wheel Parts and picked up a DayStar High Lift Handle Isolator. Such as this one. I cut it down, placed to so it is between the tire carrier the tail gate so the swing-a-way can't bounce from front to back, and now the swing-a-way is quite as a church mouse.

Now one more picture, here is the bumper from an other angle.

So there she is as she stands now. Still a lot of work to do. I think I'm at the point of putting the motor in and the whole wiring harness, the fun part. That is the part that I'll surly post a ton of pics and document my problems I have ran into.

If you have any questions or comments please post.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by trd90toyota; 08-20-2007 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you are building my dream truck
looks awesome
cant wait to hear about and see all the pics of swaping in the 22RET, ill be swaping one from an 87 truck into my 79 next year
Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 PM

Looks awesome! Where in Colorado are you?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Ok, so after 3 months we have some updates. I have been spending time looking for parts, cleaning the engine, and working.

Well, I have been working on the interior of the 4Runner, I thought I would like to seal up the bottom of the old girl. I went through and took out all of the interior of her and taped up all the hole where the bolts go. Then I got some roll-on bed liner and some white rustolem spray paint.

After I sprayed the rustolem down, I put the roll-on bed liner all over the bottom on the interior.

Here is the drivers side.

And the back.

I did remove the drain/body plugs and the body mount covers. This makes it easy to access these and if I need to access these at a future date, they will be easy to get off.

With the bed liner, It will help keep the truck keep noise down, heat in the winter, and add protection. I also painted the inside of the fenders with black rustolem paint as well. Same concept plus it looks really nice when open the cubby holes in the rear and there a nice flat back color in there.

Also while searching for parts, I went to the CD Shop/http://www.cbshopandmore.com/ in Johnstown, CO. This is a awesome store and I strongly recommend them. I went and got these firestik items.

The antenna is a 4 foot tunable. I'll mount these to the drivers side of the rear bumper.

I have installed the motor and a majority of the interior at this time. I just have not had the time to upload the picts yet.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:58 AM

Looks good! Are you planning on putting carpet back in? I found a place that sells OEM style carpet kits that will send samples of colors to match it if your looking for new. Im going to get one for my truck i just gotta pick a color.

Quick Reply: trd90toyota's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread