Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing Chain Rattle {Video}

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gregs94Toy
Makes sense on start-up...but in hotter climates it breaks down faster. what about a 5w/40? I'm trying to figure out the best oil to run to quiet that darn tensioner down.
I run (Mobil 1 10w40 high mileage synthetic) still have a little tick but thats pretty normal. i live in a hot climate just like you.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That doesn't so much like a loose chain bouncing about as it does valve chatter, to me. However, it is a video.

Even if it were mometary chain slap, the tensioner is not soley oil pressure dependant. In fact, the oil pressure only acts as more of shock absorber. The tensioner is spring loaded. And, the common noise heard is not from the tensioner itself. It's the chain rapping across the plastic guide eventually wearing the guide thin and breaking it. That sound just happens to reverberate a bit......until it, of course, breaks through and begins the wear on the timing cover. And, that sound is distinctly different. Sounds more like it should......metal on metal.

If the mechanical parts....like valves and chain or bearings... are slapping about because of aged tolerances, you're not going to be able to do much to remedy the noise by oil alone. And, certainly not with a lighter weight oil. With 130k, you should stick with 10/30w or heavier even....like 40w...particularly in warmer weather. Consider the oil and it's pressure is the only thing keeping the parts from rubbing metal on metal. Now, if you have looser tolerances than when the engine was new (or just more modern), would you want something with less or more density?

Synthetics are a good way to go for start up protection. With standard oil, STP treatment works well. However, if I were you, I'd go ahead check the condition of your valve clearance and timing kit.....unless you know where all that's at.