Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Time for a new 3.slow......Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time for a new 3.slow......Recommendations?

I've gotten my hands on a little extra money and am going to be buying a new 3.0 for my 4runner. I've been searching alot on here and it seems that orient is a pretty decent company. Only problem with them is that I still have to assemble the motor myself and that could lead to more issues. I think Jasper is the same as Orient, just 1600 more. I was searching and came across Tiger Japanese. They import motors from Japan for Toyotas and such. They seem to be a decent company. The motors are complete, have 25-35 thousand miles on them, and are 500 cheaper then orient. I also get to keep my old motor to part it out. After all, it did just have a top end rebuild on it. Have you guys ever dealt with Tiger before? Have any opinions about it? I might be stupid but I have to ask, the motor will work in my 4runner right?

Here is the link
https://www.tigerjapanese.com/produc...roducts_id=217

I'm not doing a 3.4 swap because
1. I don't have the money
2. I don't have the know-how
3. I don't have the time
Please don't fill this thread with random ranting about how I need to do the swap.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A mechanic friend told me that the only motors that would be a straight drop in was a US & CDN model. I don't think I believe him. Others here have the experience with it and I would like to here their knowledge and experience. You may want to find out if you get the ECM and motor harness with it. In that pic, I think I see the tranny. Find out if that comes with it also.

Your mechanic doesn't know what it is???? He did all that work and repaired your motor for it to just give up?? That sounds like a piece cr@p mechanic. I hope that doesn't offend you, but mechanics are supposed to know this kind of stuff because that is what they are trained to do.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My recommendation?

A 3.4L (5VZFE). With the current gas prices, it'll pay for itself shortly...
Old 05-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

My mechanic doesn't know what it is and is giving up on it. Besides, I can pay more to get it fixed but i'm still stuck with a motor with 150k on it.

I did some more reading on their site and it comes with a complete motor, no tranny. A computer could come with it, just depends on how it was cut out of the truck. The computer wont work anyway because of some type of japanese stuff. I guess I should just email them an ask first hand.

So what do you guys think? Would a motor with 25-35k for that price be worth it? Should I just go with Orient and find someone to put it together?

3.4 just isn't an option now.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:31 PM

we've put in 3 orient engines at the dealer i wrk,no problems with any except a camry with a balnce shaft issue.they took care of it with no hassle.will do business with them again.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
i really like that website that you just posted up. If you do go with that company let us know how the quality of the engine is. I am interested in them as well
Old 05-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Well I sent the company an email asking about any issues between their engines and mine. Hopefully they know their stuff and i'll get an email back tomorrow. If so, that is going to be my choice.

I would much rather go with Orient but the labor for assembling the motor would be too much for it, and I don't know enough to do it myself.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Do you guys think getting a motor with those miles on it is a bad descision? Let me know your opinions.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:32 PM

I thought the Orient Engines came complete. Anyways, I guess with a JDM motor it really depends on the owner and how it was taken care of. If the oil was changed regularly then with 25-35,000 miles it should be fine. Although, because in Japan they have to give up their cars every three years or 30,000 miles or whatever they might've just ran the ☺☺☺☺ out of it and only did one or two oil changes the whole time but who really knows. I think you are kind of taking a gamble going the JDM route especially for $1590. But on the other hand it could turn out really well and you'd have an almost brand new 3vze on your hands which is way better than any remanufactured engine in my opinion. Talk to the company and feel them out, just go with your gut.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 PM

This is a part of the Better Business Bureau says TigerJapanese.com:

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record

BBB Definition:

unsatisfactory record - A company has an "unsatisfactory business performance record" with the Bureau is based on the experiences reflected in BBB files. This file condition results when the company has failed to resolve or respond to complaints, repeatedly failed to respond or resolve issues in a timely manner, failed to resolve the underlying issues for a pattern

BBB Definition:

pattern - More than 2 complaints involving the same allegations usually within 12 months that are significant in relation to the company's size and volume of business.

of complaints, failed to honor their commitment to mediate or arbitrate disputes or honor mediated agreements or arbitrated decisions, failed to substantiate, modify or discontinue false advertising claims that are challenged by the BBB, or failed to discontinue unauthorized use of the BBB name and logo, a Federally protected trademark.

with the Bureau due to unanswered complaints. The company has resolved

BBB Definition:

resolved - The company resolved the complaint issues.

some complaints presented by the Bureau, however, the company did not respond to other complaints

BBB Definition:

other complaints - This refers to complaints from individuals or businesses that do not fall under a specific category.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:35 AM

I also found some others on EBAY a while back. Don't know if they are still on there. It is businesses just using EBAY as advertising and selling there not just an individ.

Go to UltimateYota.com and ask Cebby about his JDM lexus motor. I know you aren't going to go with a different motor, but his experience with a JDM company may help you go with a different company.

Osiris
Old 05-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Well, Tiger still hasn't replied to my email yet. Still waiting on that.

On a side note, i'm going to look at a 4runner that was rear-ended. Its a 94 3.0 5 speed with 100k miles that JUST had the headgasket done. This is great because I can get the motor out of it. I'll have the tranny, computer, and pedals I'll need for my 5 speed swap, and I can make some money on parting it out. Wish me luck on that.

Also, how hard are 3.0s to build after recieving them from Orient? How complicated is transferring over the intake, timing covers, and other stuff that I would need to do. I might have to go with this route if Tiger doesn't work.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like that may be your solution. You get all the extras to help part out & pay for your costs!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I reccomend you don't put a 3.0 in it, granted I've never driven or owned a 3.0 I've heard MANY bad things about them but in some cases theyre good.. I guess.. I have a 3.4 and it just rolled over to 300k miles and it runs fantastic and has plenty of power, if you have the time I'd reccomend the swap, or just put a 22RE in it.. Ive got a 22R and it runs good so I'd imagine the 22RE is just as good if not better.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:06 PM

I have an orient engine (3.slow), almost a year now. Have had no problems with the engine just shody mechanics. I recommend highly.

But I should of went with the 3.4, I truely regret this.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM

My mechanic is just finishing the installation of a remanuf. 3.0 from Import Engine Specialties (www.overbore.com) speak to Mark. He specializes in imports... toyotas and mitsubishis. Great price... 3 yr waurantee...quality product. My mech. (former 20 yr. toyota tech) was impressed with the engine.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
I reccomend you don't put a 3.0 in it, granted I've never driven or owned a 3.0 I've heard MANY bad things about them but in some cases theyre good.. I guess.. I have a 3.4 and it just rolled over to 300k miles and it runs fantastic and has plenty of power, if you have the time I'd reccomend the swap, or just put a 22RE in it.. Ive got a 22R and it runs good so I'd imagine the 22RE is just as good if not better.

so your telling a guy, who owns a 3.0 to not put in a 3.0 because you have heard some bad things, yet you have never driven one yourself.....HUH. but remember, he said he wasnt going to do the 3.4 swap. for many reasons.

on another note. would any of these engines work without major additions in California. with the damn emittions here i would probably have to had all the stuff and that would cost alot more money. just wondering if i ever get around to the 3.4 swap.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by pruney81
I thought the Orient Engines came complete. Anyways, I guess with a JDM motor it really depends on the owner and how it was taken care of. If the oil was changed regularly then with 25-35,000 miles it should be fine. Although, because in Japan they have to give up their cars every three years or 30,000 miles or whatever they might've just ran the ☺☺☺☺ out of it and only did one or two oil changes the whole time but who really knows. I think you are kind of taking a gamble going the JDM route especially for $1590. But on the other hand it could turn out really well and you'd have an almost brand new 3vze on your hands which is way better than any remanufactured engine in my opinion. Talk to the company and feel them out, just go with your gut.

What do you mean they have to give up their cars every 3 years or 30,000 miles?

Is this true?

If so why?

I am very curious.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:44 PM

I think it has something to do with emissions, but I'm not totally sure. I know they can only keep them for three years or so. That's why there is such a big low mileage JDM import market.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:50 PM

That is odd.

Last edited by Kaleb; 05-22-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Time for a new 3.slow......Recommendations?