Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Thinking about waterproofing my interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I saw where the ECU was in the 4runner, I rolled my eyes. Could it be any closer to the door? It's also in the kick panel which gets, well, kicked a lot. As expensive as the damn things are (ask me how I know), I'd relocate it to behind the glovebox anyway.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
X2 on making sure it is connected right.

My grandpa did mine, and he knew what he was doing.

But if there i enough slack, why bother cutting them at all?
Exactly, why cut it period if there is enough slack. Im sure there is.

As for heat shrinking, never do that either. Generous amounts of electrical tape is where its at.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
Exactly, why cut it period if there is enough slack. Im sure there is.

As for heat shrinking, never do that either. Generous amounts of electrical tape is where its at.
Just curious why would you advise against heat shrink, CJM?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 AM
CJM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
Just curious why would you advise against heat shrink, CJM?
I dont advise against dirtyboy, I just never ever bothered with it. Its not like I dont have some and a heatgun, I just never cared.

I do it like this: wire into crimp connector, then wrap with electrical tape really good. So far my KC lights and cheapo hella back ups have no issues and the hellas I was annoyed and honestly wired very crudely (kept getting hit in the face with dirt).

No issues yet and its rained, snowed, hailed and sleeted here more than a few times. So long as the connection is covered your good. I also only use waterproof connectors outside the truck just incase.

For a real pro wiring job heatshrink and tape is used, but of course the heatshrink adds another step, you need in the very least a blow dryer or better a heatgun and it adds time.

FWIW: I wired an entire flatbed using crimp connections that were waterproof. I mean I wired like 10 lights in, floods, back ups, driving, you name it. The truck has KC lights all the way around really and its been 5 years and no issues and that truck never sees a day off.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heatshrink is no problem. when i use it, i put it on, then slide it over the connection, then use a lighter very quickly to shrink it. works like a charm
Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
oh comon, with a name like "scuba", you gotta have better ideas for a thread like this, lmao, jk...
im so used to snorkles i just forget about em nowadays
Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Positive pressure. Plug holes, pump air into cab. I have seen it done with gauges. It does not take much, 3-5 psi. Water can't get in.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I moved my ECU up into the glove box:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...fing.shtml#ECU
Old 07-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Ozzie. I am not trying to bust your bubble or dump on your dreaming. I just know how fast a dream or idea turns into "hey I think I will go to NAPA and get some stuff then that turns into I might as well..... While Im at it and the next thing you know the motors out the bodies off and theres a second truck in the driveway And your next words are WTF Happened. Oh wait thats my issues. Dont mean to lay them on your doorstep. Dream on and on a side note Good luck dropping the pounds I know that can not only be physically difficult but can wear on you emotionally as well. Make it happen though.

Pete
Old 07-15-2008, 09:30 PM

thanks bro. yeah im just lookin into stuff. i have an interview at sears tomorrow, and on thursday i have an interview at sony for a video game tester... im really hopin for that one. i do have a question for 4crawler though... why did you take the case off the ECU? and for piston man, how would i pressurize the cab?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:35 PM

A small air compressor, like for airbags, or ARB, or maybe a cheap Harbor Freight model.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
CJM

Ya know funny thing about this whole situation.

I went into a mud hole at paragon in PA about 2 years ago and I went in deep, halfway up the doors in my T100 and no water got in besides a bit on the hole in the firewall where the gasket for the steering rod is was worn out.

Seriously, I was riding in it and got stuck cab down in it for 15 mins and no issues.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:45 PM

hmmm... thats weird CJM
Old 07-15-2008, 10:00 PM
CJM

Indeed it is Ozzie. I think it may have to do with the fact the T100 has a generous amount of weatherstripping on the doors.

Although the inner part of the door frame on the cab did get water/mud on it none of it came into the cab besides that steering rod gasket.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 PM

Well here is my two cents. If you have water to the windshield water in the cab is the least of the worries as stated. At that depth you can move a truck with your hand because they are so buoyant. With the slightest change in weight from side to side it could flip since its so top heavy. And if your in a river your up the creek no amount of duct tape will save you. Also the oil you would put into the water system defeats gives fuel to the anti bunch.

The one thing I suggest is to use rubber and zip ties to cover up connections and important things.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Hey Oz, good luck on your interviews.......
Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 AM

hey, thanks 4runnerfreak. speakin of which, anyone ever heard of 'ivory imports, inc. ' ? sounds like an invory importer... which if thats the case, i wont work for them... im really hopin for the video game job
Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 PM

I wanted to water-proof my truck, too, but then I got to thinking about going across a deep-water crossing and floating away. I wouldn't like that. I think the water getting in would help to "sink" the truck so the tires stay on the ground. That's the only way you'll get across. You just have to make sure all your electrical parts are covered.

Maybe you could put some jet-ski jets in the hubcaps and make a submarine out of it. Very James Bond...
Old 07-16-2008, 02:47 PM

*lip, bleeding, ouch*
Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
... im really hopin for the video game job
Perhaps the greatest job ever.
Back to the point. Do you do a lot of deep water crossings?...or rather, are there a lot in your area that you want to try?

Quick Reply: Thinking about waterproofing my interior