Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Taurus Fan Saga Continues

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Taurus Fan Saga Continues

As many of the regulars know I installed the Taurus/Sable/Lincoln fan in my 95 Runner. The issues encountered on my first out the gate torture test are posted. I am still open to suggestions from the minions on how to best solve the dilema of over heat on steep grades under load. For the already posted suggestions check the thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/taurus-sable-lincoln-fan-update-90421/

I am still dealing with trying to set up the fan for the trip home. I visited a bone yard here in Oceanside and did find a switch that I think will work well for the suggestion of a seperate relay. Many thanks to Mastacox for his help with understanding hookup of a power relay (yo Brian! )

So, here is what I am currently looking at attempting. Any suggestions on this install are welcome no matter how simple they may seem. Everyone has an idea and sometime the best ones are from those who are not standing in front of the problem!

Located a 3 position rear heater fan switch. Will mount that in the left side dash where there is already a cutout for this style Toyota switch. I am wanting to set up the low side of the switch to control the power available to the slow speed/controller set up so this would be the "normal" position. Then the HIGH position would be for the High speed over ride. This would also eliminate any power issues between low/high speed fan operation. Any way of setting this switch up to do this please feel free to post. I don't have my Toyota FSM with me as they did not arrive before I left.

I already know that some one is seeing this and saying I should be using a 2 position switch or I could end up not having any cooling to the engine. Yes I would agree and I would prefer a 2 position switch but this is the best option that I could find. If you know of another Toyota switch that would only be a 2 position please speak up, but the rear heater fan is already marked with a fan symbol!

The draw back is that it does have an OFF position so I will need to be sure I post a little warning plate or maybe install some sort red light that would be on when the switch is in the OFF position. Then also install a green light to alert me that the fan is running. Jeez this is gonna start looking like an attach helicopter! !

I was told by the wrecking yard guy of a Toyota only repair shop so I stopped by there to get some idea on the best way to preceed and the tech seemed to think the electric fan should work just fine but when I told him about the steep climb up the GrapeVine with the 110 degree heat he said that even with my OEM clutch fan I probably would have had a possible heating issue. So there we are. More to come, thanks guys for the help
Old 07-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the idea of the 3-position rear heater switch, good find!

Yup, you'll just have to try and remember if and when you turn the fan switch off, but most of the time you'll have it in "auto-low" mode, yes? The little LED's to show when the switch is off are a possibility, but in the end you might just rather give a primer to anyone driving the car to either "not touch the switch" or explain what it does and how to use it. The choice is yours.

Little warning lights could theoretically be ignored just as easily as the temperature gauge...

Last edited by mastacox; 07-24-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The off side of the switch can be great for water crossings (if you do that kind of thing). I set up a normally closed relay with a red LED and a buzzer for when the fan is in the off position. I also used a switch cover so it can't accidently get switched off.

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-24-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Can we not merge these multipe electric fan threads into one perhaps? I'm getting dizzy.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:39 PM

Well I found that my first "update" when I started the trip was a gr8 beginning but I had quite a bit of information to post and it did get quite the response which for me was a huge help but I thought after two pages the intent was lost. In fact the thread was hijacked for a bit! LOL And I am still trying to get some information, set up ideas and also wanted to see if anything like this had been already done. Also I didn't want everyone who came on this thread to have to wade through 30-40 posts. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, just refine it. If it has already been done why not benefit from someone else's knowledge. I will be the first to acknowledge some one elses work amd refine it if I can. This is your chance to sound off about what you did, what you like or expiences with the electric fan mod.

Going to take the truck on a mini-torture test tomorrow up to Palomar Mountain. Temp is supposed to be in the 90's and with the grade I can test out my latest temp settings. Then from the results, I can determine the next course. Will look at the local auto parts for the 40 amp relay, wiring and then begin the installation. If any of you reading this thread have done something like this please feel free to describe what you did, any issues you incountered, fixes changes or thoughts. Will post results when done and what the trip out come was as well. Thanks guys

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 07-24-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

Here's some links that helped me through all the relay wiring I did (about 6 or 7 relays on my truck).

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm
http://www.painlessperformance.com/w.../1098relay.jpg
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/relay.htm
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp
Old 07-25-2006, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Very nice links!

LOL you should have seen my PM trying to explain how you wire a relay up It wasn't pretty
Old 07-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
Very nice links!

LOL you should have seen my PM trying to explain how you wire a relay up It wasn't pretty
Yeah that first link is my favorite.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:12 AM

Update: After using a multimeter, discovered that Toyota engineers have once again developed a switch that can not be used for another application without re-engineering ...

I ended up disassembling the switch and had to modifiy the internals so that it could be a 2 position switch with an OFF center. This required removal of one internal lead and soldering it to an unused contact. Only minor problem arose during reassembly. Seems there is a very tiny spring that makes contact with the switch plate keeping it in contact with the switch pickups. Yeah you know Murphy's Law, :pat: it disappeared. Just not enough time with the other events planned to try to find another switch, so it looks like I will be going back the way I came down, hooked up to the slow speed

Have a plan for the return trip and will post information when I get back home. I will pursue the mod further and will report the outcome of the trip, milage, performance etc. I will then have pics of the switch mod/installation for those who would care to attempt the same. I just love it when plan falls apart!

Thanks to everyone who were so helpful in assisting me. This is the BEST board out there!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Seems there is a very tiny spring that makes contact with the switch plate keeping it in contact with the switch pickups. Yeah you know Murphy's Law, :pat: it disappeared. Just not enough time with the other events planned to try to find another switch, so it looks like I will be going back the way I came down, hooked up to the slow speed
You could just buy yourself a cheap switch from Radio Shack to use high speed until you get the fan switch working...

I really think you would be better off if you at least jerry-rigged a way to use the hi speed setting...