Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Stock Height Leaf Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
WOW, here I thought it was me being a noob again and thought this thread woulda gone to the yotatech junk yard by the mods.

Originally Posted by phildelfino
I bought mine from JCWhitney and can tell you that they are too stiff. I would buy them again though and mix and match till I got a good pack. (knowing what I know now-hindsight).
What do you mean by mix and match?

Originally Posted by Spoon7
I was able to find stock height rear springs for my saggy 89 4runner manufactured by Dallas spring. You can't buy from them direct but your local spring guy can. $140 per spring sounded good to me for how much time I spent trying to solve this problem. Mine are on order and Ill be running them in a week if you want to wait to see how I like them. Good luck!!
You have website info for Dallas Spring?

Originally Posted by neockder
what about increasing shackle length? Although stockers on my 4Runner are pretty long already..
Already mentioned I don't want to go with the longer shackles right now as I am sitting on the overload leaf and the ride quality sucks. Especially since I took the bed off and put the flatbed on.

Originally Posted by peow130
i did AAL to get back up to stock-ish.
i'm about 1" over in the rear, but i fixed that in the front with a tbar crank..
AAL's work, mine were off a used truck so they're a bit more forgiving.
Already mentioned I don't want to go with the AAL's right now as I am sitting on the overload leaf and the ride quality sucks. Especially since I took the bed off and put the flatbed on.

Originally Posted by snobdds
just out of curiousity, why are you aginst the zuk mod?
I don't want to go with the ZUK mod as I am sitting on the overload leaf and the ride quality sucks. Especially since I took the bed off and put the flatbed on. Besides I don't feel like wrestling around with trying to shove a spring somewhere were it doesn't belong. And I don't have any type of cutting tool other than misc cut-off wheels for my drill. And I don't wanna wind up like the grinder guy on here.

Originally Posted by 91diesel
the easiest/cheapest way would probably just be to leave your main leaf on, and then go to the junk yard and get some leaves to make a pack out of to build up to stock height. You'll probably end up with a better pack that way anyhow.
Wouldn't junk yard springs be just as flat/worn out?

Originally Posted by yoder519
maybe buy some 2inch lift springs, and remove a leaf? jsut spit balling here
I thought about doing that since most 2" kits seem to be cheaper than a factory style leaf set.

Would taking out the overload leaf be a bad idea? I don't haul alot of stuff and what I would have in my tool boxes still wouldn't match the weight of the truck. According to my trip to the scrap yard after the bed swap getting rid of the old bed and some other stuff the truck only weighs about 3000lb without my tool boxes on and thats with my 185lb in the truck. ??????
Old 02-26-2010, 08:03 PM

So far I have only come up with these:

https://www.jcwhitney.com/replacemen...x?skuId=265315 : $333.95 shipped

http://www.generalspringkc.com/index...arent=158&pg=1 : $366.21 shipped

http://www.race-mart.com/items/produ...20S-detail.htm : $321.73 shipped

http://www.carparts.com/webapp/wcs/s...0618&langId=-1 $243.21 shipped might go with these.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-26-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm not against doing a Zuk mod, but using even the lightest springs available would still likely raise the rear up more than I'd like. What is "stock height" supposed to be anyway? Are any measurements available?

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Wouldn't junk yard springs be just as flat/worn out?
That's what I'm thinking. They would only be good for scavenging to make your own spring packs. I sure wouldn't trust them to be good as new, or even a pair to sit level.

[Re: removing an overload from +2" new springs] I thought about doing that since most 2" kits seem to be cheaper than a factory style leaf set.

Would taking out the overload leaf be a bad idea? I don't haul alot of stuff and what I would have in my tool boxes still wouldn't match the weight of the truck. According to my trip to the scrap yard after the bed swap getting rid of the old bed and some other stuff the truck only weighs about 3000lb without my tool boxes on and thats with my 185lb in the truck. ??????
What I gathered from checking into this before is taking one of the overloads out of an OME pack (IIRC, they have 2) will drop the 2" lift down to 1.5" or maybe 1" at the least after the springs settle in.

I doubt doing that would hurt load carrying capacity very much, but I don't really know. The stock springs have only a single overload. My understanding of an overload is it is the ultimate carrier when the springs above are at full capacity. Why the need for two?

On rare occasions I've hauled heavy loads and would like to continue to have the capability.

A buddy doubled up the second longest springs (used two of the same length) on his Jeep and as a consequence bent the longest spring due to the lack of flex in the area. So, keep that in mind if assembling your own spring packs.

It's sad that good quality, inexpensive, stock height springs aren't available for our vehicles. Is there anything else, maybe from a different make, that is essentially a drop in replacement?

Last edited by flyingbrass; 02-26-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 PM

oh that reminds me, are the stock '87 pickup springs ony supposed to have 3 +1 leafs?

I just saw a thread on here while searching that gave a link to different makes/models and spring sizes. I think the closest was from an s10.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-26-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My factory 86 springs are 3 and the overload.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not all junk yard springs are worn out. I took some out of a F150 and it's great. I just looked around for ones that looked like they had the most arch and these did. The F150's are a little longer but I don't see why you couldn't use the pack and replace one of your shorter ones with one of the fords until you find what you want. The F150's are a little thicker too so replacing the pack worked good for me, it gave me a little lift (I know you don't want), more load carrying capacity, a nicer ride and more flex due to the increased length.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
northwest off road sells some as well. they claim to sit 3/4" higher than stock which is not bad. I've never used them myself, but I recall people on this board mentioned they ride stiff.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/2stage.html
Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by chuntr
northwest off road sells some as well. they claim to sit 3/4" higher than stock which is not bad. I've never used them myself, but I recall people on this board mentioned they ride stiff.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/2stage.html

N73250 437.95 + 120 shipping kinda pricey but it's an option.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...prings-164657/

Here is what I did while installing new factory lift springs and shocks. Also includes others advice.

I recommend buying new shackals. I ruined mine getting the old ones off.

I also would not of minded a little lift in the back. I don't think it is nessessary to adjust the front to match. Look at most trucks nowadays and the back is jacked up more than the front. IMHO.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:23 AM

sixstates springs website is horrible to navigate, half hour on thier site and I still can't find the springs.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 AM

just call them
Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 AM

Just ordered the JC Whitney Leafs. I'll let everyone know how they ride after spring break.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
i'd recommend you just get the 2" lift springs and call it a day. you already stated that you don't want AAL, Zuk mod/coils, used leafs, or a mixed spring pack - so your next option would be to buy new ones. since there aren't really any stock height leafs out on the market you might as well just go with 2" lift springs and be done with it. crank your t-bars if you think you've got too much rake or add some BJ spacers in there, done. on a positive note, you'll also get your carrying capacity back and will be able to actually use your flatbed to haul something.

the way i look at it is that all of us 4wd guys are gonna want some type of lift eventually down the road, so just do it now and get 2 birds with one stone.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 AM

If the 2" springs settle as much as people say they do I will probably go that route.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 AM

Stock shackles, stock leafs (from 89) - only road use.. My wheel well chrome to rear hub measurment is 18 5/8". Keep in mind if your Runner was used in more offroad applications (more articulation in the spring's life) the spring will lose alot more of its arch.

Getting a 2" lift spring and removing the overload leaf will work.. but you lose serious weight stability in the spring, if you're hauling or drive thru a big dip at high speeds the springs will lose their arch much more quickly, same goes for frequent offroad-articulation use. I would imagine you would see improved road ride quality as the springs will not be as stiff per-say. Removing the overload leaf and finding a shorter overload leaf may work as well?

Softer springs and stiffer shocks have always been my favorite combo..

Last edited by neockder; 03-20-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Woods12
Carrier Springs Ltd. Stock ride height.
http://www.customsuspension.com/stor...oducts_id=1209
Originally Posted by Woods12
$120 to ship with u-bolts. After you completely check out they e-mail the shipping cost and confirm the order
gonna bump this as another member just got these springs. I edited the original post to reflect these as well.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-04-2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Just thought I'd give anyone a heads up on the JC whitney springs.

Put mine in last spring break (about a year ago) and they have already sagged back to where my old springs where. I have a camper shell and tool box (300-400 lbs combined weight i'm guessing) and after a year of use they are as flat as the original leaf springs were that i replaced. I just ordered a pro comp
add-a-leaf to hopefully give the extra stiffness and support i need. Will be installing towards the end of march. I'll let everyone know whats up.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 PM

I went a different route...

I have an '87 4Runner that pretty well trail built and a weekend toy, not a daily driver. It has the Downey Offroad 2" lift leafs. My rig is perfectly flat with no payload in it. Prepped for the trail with recovery equipment, camping gear, etc. its drops an inch or two. Ride quality sucks.

My goal was to improve ride quality as I want to get the woman and kids to tag along. I went with the Deaver mini-pack for a Nissan Frontier from performancelifts.com. This replaces the overload spring with two add'l standard leafs and is supposed to provide a more progressive spring/rate and, in turn, ride quality by ridding the pack of the super-stiff overload spring.

Install was easy with the right tools (get 6" c-clamps as recommended) and it cost $150. As a bonus I got just under 2" of lift. The back end is now a little higher than front though when empty.

Overall, it does what it says - the ride quality is better and not as stiff. I have not been on a serious rockcrawling trail since installed...just rocky trails that require mild articulation. That said, seems to work better on the dirt road to get to the trails when at speed. Noticably better on bumpy streets.

For $150, I think it was a good alternative to the ZUK mod for my situation given the 2" or so lift and improved ride. For those who run loaded in the back, maybe. Maybe not.

Last edited by angrybob; 02-04-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

After looking all over I now buy all my springs from General Spring

They ship from Harrisburg Pa so the shipping is not that bad coming over to where I live.

I can get the same springs from General Spring That the Spring Shop in Harrisburg quoted almost $150.00 more for brought right to my Shop

Go Figure
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by elblako91
Just thought I'd give anyone a heads up on the JC whitney springs.

Put mine in last spring break (about a year ago) and they have already sagged back to where my old springs where...
x2 on this.

I installed a set of stock height replacements from JC on my '88 4runner in July 2010. Since then, the truck has logged about 5,000 miles and they are flat as the originals. Actually, they seemed really flat from the get go, but I was in a hurry to move across country so I just threw my hands in the air. I would consider adding an AAL, but would prefer to invest in a decent low lift pack instead.

My 2 cents is hoping you steer clear of the JC springs.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Stock Height Leaf Springs