Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

StealerShip = MORE Problems + some ranting

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should slip back on some little 215's (factory size) next time you take it somewhere... that way they can't claim "you have bigger tires so we can't fix that"
Old 05-21-2007, 07:39 AM

Bottom Line...dealerships suck...

I just did the Tundra brake upgrade and went to the dealership to price some stuff out because I know someone there...long story short, he wasnt there and I talked to some other guy who said. "Why do you want 2000 Tundra brakes for that 4Runner? Its the wrong application and they wont work."

I took the truck back a day later with the new brakes on just out of spite Ended up having a 30 minute conversation with the service manager and explained to him what he needed and how to do the upgrade on his 98
Old 05-21-2007, 07:50 AM

Nah I heard the best one about stealership idiocy from my cousin. He's goin to college up there in Denver, or else I woulda done it for him... But anyhoo, his oil pan drain plug's thread was a little chewed up, but the pan's thread was still fine, so he just wanted them to do an oil change and replace the drain plug. They told him that they'd have to drop the front diff so they could drop the oil pan so they could get a correct fitting for the plug and ONLY charge him $800, but they'll throw in the plug for free. Do they actually get people dumb enough to go for that?

So anyhoo, I had him put the sales person on the phone. Was like "Uh huh. $800? Wow. Sounds pretty good for having to drop the front diff and oil pan... But how bout this, pull part number #A6110-27385, give it to him, he'll give you around $7.00 for your markup, and you can save your bullsh@t for someone else."

Denver must love screwin over people... Our stealerships here in San Antonio are pretty good. Prices are a little steep, but have never been sold something I didn't need.

Last edited by SwampThing; 05-21-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:53 AM

I guess we have always been really lucky here in my town. We ahev 2 dealers. Don Davis which is an awesome dealer and has serviced me, my dad, my sister, and my brother for the last 11+ or so years. Then there's Vandergriff Toyota, THAT is the perfect example of a "Steelership" their customer service on any of their dealerships sucks goats balls. I mean really bad too. They broke something on my 04 4runner and after waiting 6 monhts for them to actually order the part (and by the way they never did and I turn ned them into toyota motor company for bad service) I took it to Don Davis who not only fixed the issue, they and did a free car wash for my problems. They are super nice and never rip you off. They even have helped me with my old 4x4 yota back in the day. So I have nothing but great things to say about them. Now I don;t really car so much for the NEW sales guys as theya re not any bvetter than any other sales guy, but their service rocks!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 AM

That's just the thing - there ARE good dealerships out there, it's just that 75%+ of them are looking to makeup the money they discount new cars in the service department. People sometimes get hot when I make a general statement about dealerships, but I'm certain that - without getting outside recommendations - your odds of getting ripped off at a dealership are way higher than your odds of getting ripped off just pulling into a random "Joe's Garage" along the side of the road. And compare a good dealership to a good independent shop and you'll pretty much always pay more at the dealership.

I do actually have my Alfa serviced at a Ferrari/Maserati dealership and have been quite pleased. I was a bit skeptical but heard many good recs and it's most convenient for me (believe it or not, there aren't nearly as many Alfa shops around as Toy shops ). I think they look at Alfa owners as a bit of a charity case - the Alfa hourly rate is half the Ferrari rate for the same mechanic! Obviously that's an exception, however.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:32 AM

half? hahaah so that means your have a half assed car? and get half the quality and service? hehehe sorry had to pick
Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 91TPU
if your starter was bad, howd they know how it idled lol
Worn starter contacts. It can still start, but eventually wont. This problem starts out intermittently. Wire ties on the skid plate. Usually years of removal by folsk who dont understand torque values and the frame gets stripped. I dont know about the other stuff???
Old 05-22-2007, 07:54 PM

i looked in to the no start problem the bolt to hold the positive cable on the terminal whent missing i think it was the dealer but i'm not sure. and i have never needed to remove the skid plate
Old 05-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gametom
i looked in to the no start problem the bolt to hold the positive cable on the terminal whent missing i think it was the dealer but i'm not sure. and i have never needed to remove the skid plate
Well, I dont suspect the dealer stole the nut. We have enough at the shop and each tech has a collection of hardware they naturally collect over time. As for the skid plate, trust me, unless its a brand new rig, its been off hundreds of time. The dealership just happened to be the last one.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:51 AM

I had my recall done at the dealer and they actually did a bang up job and didn't charge a nickel even though they replaced the tie rods too. Some are better than others. Even if you get a good one, they charge an arm and a leg for "genuine Toyota parts". They wanted $500 for a radiator for my wife's Celica and that didn't include installation.

Just try a different dealer. If they can replace the relay rod withoug destroyig the tie rods then so be it.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 AM

no they replaced the relay rod and did the alignment just fine they just jacked up other things in the prosses
Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by mikewic
half? hahaah so that means your have a half assed car? and get half the quality and service? hehehe sorry had to pick
LOL - partially that, partially the fact that when you show up with a Ferrari they bend you over and take the handle end of a torque wrench to you!

Originally Posted by gametom
If you've never removed the skidplate, are you sure it wasn't held on by zipties before? That thing comes off all the time on my truck. If nothing else it's tough to do an oil change without removing it.

Last edited by GV27; 05-23-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GV27
LOL - partially that, partially the fact that when you show up with a Ferrari they bend you over and take the handle end of a torque wrench to you! At least they don't use the HEAD end....
Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 AM

I think they reserve the head for Bentley owners......
Old 05-23-2007, 04:26 PM

Dealerships are independently owned for profit operations.
For most of you here warranty and free repair period on your vehicles ended while you still were in elementary shool, daycare maybe. Now you have to pay people for their work.
In United States we have rule "pay to play", you do not want to spend money, do not go there, you do not belong.
It is like going to Vegas with no money.

Understand, those guys work flat rate, they are not paid sallary. Everytime you roll junk in w/o intention or funds to fix it, you take food (or Ipod) away from their kids, they could serve paid customer instead of you.

Lastly where that expectations come from? Everywhere where we turn people swindle us from our money. EVERYBODY, gas companies, plumbers, roofers, dentists etc... That is American way.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:15 PM

Well i said would post A pic of the corolla

Hell of a lot faster than the runner but a lot less fun to drive
Old 05-23-2007, 06:44 PM

lol. nice. heres my dealing with dealerships. "hey, i need a drivers side inside door handle and the rubber stops for the inner fuel lid." "can i see the truck" "nope, just need to get those parts" "good call" "yep" "that'll be 37.05" "overprices by about 15 bucks right" "yep" alright, i'll pick em up wednesday morning" "great"

if thats hard to follow, read it again. lol