Squealing Belt 1987 Toyota P/U 22R

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 05:16 PM
jb9

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Squealing Belt 1987 Toyota P/U 22R

Hello,

Dumb question. In a bit of a panic....

I just drove home from the grocery store and heard a belt squeal and my charge light came on and I noticed that my temperature gauge was running very high. When I got home I popped the hood in the dark and I checked the oil. Oil seems ok but I don't know how many belts the 4 cylinder 22R is supposed to have. Does it have 2 belts? Does it have one belt. I only saw one belt and I think I can see the alternator pulley wheel without a belt on it. I presume that I may have broken a belt. Does this seem like a reasonable scenario? I'm no stranger to my rig but I've never done the belts before so I don't know what to look for?

Does this 2nd belt also drive the coolant pump?

I'm in a bit of a panic as I am unemployed and I need my truck as I try to find some work...

Thanks in advance. There are so many kind knowledgeable folks here.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:12 AM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
If your engine is like my 22re, then yes, you broke the alternator and water pump belt. They are super cheap to replace. The only hard part is getting the alternator loose and hinging it so that there is room to install a new belt. At least on the 22re you can wiggle a new belt through the fan without taking the fan off the radiator. If you don't have AC, then you have two belts. If you have AC then you have 3 belts.

You might have damaged the engine by driving it without the water pump belt. There was no coolant going through the engine. Bad news. Should have stopped right away. Hope for the best there. Always carry extra belts with these engines, as they seem to prefer the cheaper belts, but they don't last as long as expensive ones.

You can replace the alternator/water pump belt for around $8 for a new belt and if you already have socket wrenches. Buy two belts while you're at it. It's also possible that your harmonic balancer is not working properly, which would eat new belts you put onto there in a short time. If you put a new belt in and is starts squealing or ripping after a couple hundred miles or so, then the harmonic balancer would be a likely culprit.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:26 AM

Received 353 Likes on 219 Posts
You should investigate why the belt got thrown. Check that neither the water pump or alternator is seized. If they are fine, it's totally possible the belt was just loose or it wore out and broke. If not, then the problem is obvious.

Hopefully it didn't run hot too long.

The belt closest to the engine runs the water pump and alternator.
The middle belt runs the air conditioning if you have it.
The belt closest to the radiator runs the power steering if you have it.

I would also recommend carrying a spare fan belt if you can spare the change. I keep mine zip tied to the bottom of the hood to the bracing structure and I keep a bag of tools in the truck.

Where do you live? I wouldn't mind helping out if you happen to be nearby.

Last edited by arlindsay1992; 12-10-2020 at 02:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by arlindsay1992:
2ToyGuy (12-10-2020), 5 Fists (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 03:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The belts are as stated in the above thread, I would also check the belt adjuster (idler) pulley to make sure the bearing is not seized or possibly trying to seize when it is hot. I have had several squealing belts due to bad bearings in the pulley over the past 26 years. You can replace just the bearing to save yourself some money.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:13 PM
jb9

Thanks you guys. I ordered 2 new sets of gates belts today. Water pump/alternator AND power steering belts from rock auto. The water pump/alternator belt broke. I hope they fit... Rock auto has never missed on the OEM numbers when I put my make and model in.

I hit the idle pulley tension bolt with Kroil and it's ready to go. I also hit the top alternator bolt with Kroil and it popped as well. I reached underneath to hit the alternator pivot with Kroil too... Hopefully, I won't need to loosen that one but I think I can get a ratchet on that one if the alternator won't articulate inwards enough to get that belt on. Belts should be here on Monday I hope. No A/C so that middle pulley stays empty. Plenty of room to get around the fan it seems. All the pulleys spin fine. Luckily, I live in a cold climate so the last bit of driving to get home seemed to be ok...

Fingers crossed. I will post some pictures soon but I wanted to thank everyone who replied. Stressful but I think I can pull off this repair. I've done a lot of work on the truck but I just get anxious when it's a repair I haven't done. The basic 22R is such a simple creature.

Thanks!

Last edited by jb9; 12-10-2020 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (01-12-2021)
Old 12-11-2020, 05:30 AM

Very simple to do. The alternator will swing in more than enough to fit the belt. Hardest part for me is getting the alternator tight enought to get the proper tension on the belt. The alternator is how you adjust the tension for that belt, no idler pulley. I snug the two alternator bolts to the point that I can tap on the alternator a little at a time and it stays in place while I check the belt tension. I use a 1x2 piece of wood or rubber mallet to tap it. DON'T use a hammer. When the belt tension is correct I tighten them fully.

Last edited by 87yo_ta; 12-11-2020 at 06:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ToyoDerp (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 09:10 AM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 87yo_ta
Very simple to do. The alternator will swing in more than enough to fit the belt. Hardest part for me is getting the alternator tight enought to get the proper tension on the belt. The alternator is how you adjust the tension for that belt, no idler pulley. I snug the two alternator bolts to the point that I can tap on the alternator a little at a time and it stays in place while I check the belt tension. I use a 1x2 piece of wood or rubber mallet to tap it. DON'T use a hammer. When the belt tension is correct I tighten them fully.
LOL. I do the exact same thing. The small fastener on the adjustable plate for the alternator is tough to keep tight, so I tighten it just enough that it sticks, but slips when I tapped down on the alternator with a 2x4. It also helps to tighten it down a bit more when checking the belt tension, as checking the belt tension can loosen it a little each time you do.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:59 AM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
I just take a long, relatively heavy shafted, screwdriver, put it between the alternator and PS pump, and pry. I get the tension on the belt close, I crank down the upper bolt, the the lower bolt, and call it a day.
If it's a new belt, it'll loosen pretty fast as the belt stretches. The book specifies a 5 minute run and the belt is stretched out. As far as I care, if it's not squealing, and I can still press it down a half inch or so, it's fine.

It's a system that's worked for me for nearly 30 years now, so I'll stick with it. Still haven't bought a belt tension gauge.
Pat☺
Old 12-11-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoDerp
LOL. I do the exact same thing. The small fastener on the adjustable plate for the alternator is tough to keep tight, so I tighten it just enough that it sticks, but slips when I tapped down on the alternator with a 2x4. It also helps to tighten it down a bit more when checking the belt tension, as checking the belt tension can loosen it a little each time you do.
LMAO and I was worried I'd be called out for using a piece of wood to adjust my belt! Thanks for making my day!
Old 01-09-2021, 06:56 PM
jb9

Hey I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered their recommendations and encouragement. My truck is running great. I just changed the oil and things are looking up. It's been tough homesteading out here alone so I sincerely appreciate everyone's help. I hope everyone is staying healthy and hanging in there.

Many many thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by jb9:
RAD4Runner (01-12-2021), ToyoDerp (01-09-2021)