Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Speakers in Door; a problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007 | 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
damn, i shoulda just bought these T_T, owell, ill get to learn how to make them, then spray paint it black.
Old 11-18-2007 | 09:40 PM

And tacoma, i run the speaker wire through the hole in the door at that level through the hinge, and drilled a hole into the cab, the wire doesnt get pinched, and it isnt noticable at all.
Old 11-18-2007 | 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spence1016
just make some spacers yourself. Get a sheet of plywood or plastic and cut it up. Cheaper than buying it.
That's what I did in my Landcruiser. I bought 1" thick particle board at Home Depot on the super cheap, made my templates and cut them with a jigsaw. I coated them with truck bedliner I had laying around. Then I used a combo of epoxy and short drywall screws (predrilled the holes) to attach them. Worked like a charm and cleared the bottom of the window without a problem.

Also running the wires is cake, I never use factory wiring for anything anymore. On some vehicles I've had there were grommets in the doors even if there weren't speakers, but if not, a good idea is to use that plastic wire loom crap they put on wires to go through the firewall or in warm areas of the engine bay to protect the wiring. Unless you really mess up the wires will be just fine. It's one of those things though where you have to use your best intuition on the spot because every install is different.

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 11-18-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2007 | 09:53 PM

I understand how to run the wires from the speaker through the door and cab..I just need to know how where do I splice the new speaker wires into? Do I splice them into the sires for the other speakers? or into the main harness somewhere.
Old 11-18-2007 | 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Hmmm.. you know, that is weird as hell. My Runner has the vent windows as well, but I was just browsing through the "flex" thread and some 1st gen Runners/P/Us, have the vent windows, others don't. All 2nd gen Runners don't have the vent windows, but some 2nd gen P/Us, do! WTF? Anyways, looks like I won't have a problem just drilling the hole bigger and squeezing the 6.5's in there. Sweet!
I've had a '87 4runner w/ vent windows, a '92 pickup without, and currently a '93 pickup with them, so I think it's pretty common to see them on anything up to 1995.5 when taco's came out

personally I could do without them, as i does make it easier to break in, but anyone with the right tools can get into anything

but I do like having speakers in the doors too
Old 11-19-2007 | 12:21 AM

Well my Xplod, has wires for 2 fronts(my 4''s) and 2 rears(my door 6.5'') so all 4 are wired into my head unit.

ill post the wiring diagrams i used when installing my speaker tomorrow morning, gonna get some sleep now.
Old 11-19-2007 | 01:35 AM

What I did when I put some 6.5's in my door was I cut the wires to the factory speakers in he dash, then spliced new wires into them, took out the door buzzers, and ran the wires through that hole into the door panel. I think i might get some spacers though, because my passenger side door panel doesn't fit all the way in anymore.
Old 11-19-2007 | 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma750
how are those boxes mounted to the doors? Where did you get those boxes?
theres 4 screws that (you can see two) that attach the solid wood box to the door, just screws into the metal framing/sheeting of the door.

Then the speaker (6" pioneer) just screws into the box. Then its all covered in grey speaker box carpet.
Old 12-04-2007 | 08:14 PM

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1937/img09005sg1.jpg

Finally got a day off work and only to find that my drill was fried, wouldnt work at all, so i had to come up with a way of using the pre existing holes without drilling new ones. so instead of the real fat end on the bottom, i had to turn it sideways, still works great, may not be the "best sounding because its positioned away" but w/e its not a show truck with thousands of dollars of sound equipment!

Old 12-05-2007 | 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Looks preety good sh0kk...
FWIW the vent windows were an option in some years/trim levels, though certain models came with the vent windows standard and the full glass was the option...
Old 12-06-2007 | 09:42 AM

For those searching in the future, when I was stereo shopping the folks at the stereo store informed me that a standard 6" wouldn't fit without shims, but that they had two speaker options for 6" shallow mounts that required no shims and still allowed the window to to wind down. I ended up going with new speakers in the stock dash location and boxes behind the seat so I can't provide brand/model numbers but any specialty stereo store should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Old 12-06-2007 | 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

So you got the ones on eBay after all huh? Look good.
Old 12-06-2007 | 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
So the Toy p/u's don't have the vent windows? I'm glad I came accross this thread. I just bought 6.5's on Fri to replace the tired 5.25's and didn't know the 6.5's might hit.
vent windows were an option, not everyone has them but you can get them.
Old 01-16-2008 | 06:41 AM

angled ring

for those interested, the 5/5.25 angled speaker rings are again available at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
best hurry, i got one of three he has.
Old 01-16-2008 | 06:46 AM

o ya and i just put in some infinity reference 4s in my dash and they sound awesome. crutchfield has em for like $40, they're deff worth it if you want better sound in these trucks.

now i just gotta convince my dad to let me use his amp and 2 10''s sittin in the garage....
Old 12-22-2008 | 09:51 AM

I put some 5 1/4" pioneers in my doors this weekend and they fit perfect with no spacers. The speakers are 1 5/8" deep and the magnet is almost touching the frame for the window.
Old 12-22-2008 | 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Why not google search kicker panels with built in speakers for 84+ Toyotas. Other wise look into oval speakers rather than round speakers.
Old 12-22-2008 | 11:41 AM

OLD THREAD ALERT !!!

Old 12-29-2009 | 10:10 AM

Any my prob is that i have 6.5" speakers to go in a non-vent-window door. I made a new album specifically to show all the pix of my prob. https://www.yotatech.com/album.php?albumid=1337 Thanks for advice in advance!

Last edited by B4Runner; 12-29-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks. (:
Old 12-29-2009 | 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

okeyday B4 took a look at your file and I see your situation. Your problem is somewhat different to that faced by the 2gen crowd which have a much more open inner door panel to work with.
In any case if you are ok with having the speaker there by your lap all you need is an adapter ring to place between the speaker and the door, you can get them from cruchfield among others. This may cause an issue with closing the door if the speaker hits the seats or your hips.

If you want to move the speaker to the lower front of the door you will have to loose or relocate the map pocket, not a major a job as it sounds the thing is only attached to the trim skin with screws from the back, the big part would be cutting out the inner door skin, a pita but very doable (you'd still need the adapter rings). This would be a better location from a sound stage point of view.

You could make an angled box out of MDF wrap it in gray vinyl or leather and attach it to the bottom front of the door skin, you'd still loose a little foot room but it would be well away from the controls and only (potentially) an issue if you like to drive with your hand on your knee. Using this option you would only have to drill a 3-4" hole in the inner door skin to allow the depth you'd need for the magnet. This would be even better since the sound will be aimed at you a little more. I'll see if I can sketch something up for you that will make sense and try to post it for you later.

There is also a special panel available to locate the speaker in the kick panels down by your feet but you will loose a good bit of foot room which might be an issue if you have a manual.

Whatever you do remember you'll be doing the same to the pax side and you need to take in to account your pax comfort and so on.

Last edited by aviator; 12-29-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Speakers in Door; a problem