Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Some may say its overkill...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 09:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Some may say its overkill...thoughts?

Some might say its overkill but I am getting extremely close to having all parts on hand to start the build up of my chassis.

Because I may be a little insane and because I can't even stand the thought of new parts rusting within weeks I will be degreasing and painting all new chassis parts with the same paint I will be painting my frame with (looking like I will be using Imron at this point....brushed on)

I am a big believer in the science behind not mixing different paints with different properties due to adhesion issues/ compromising paints that don't "match up"

That being said I have very little experience/knowledge when it comes to paints.

Curious what ya'll have to say about what paint parts companies use on their parts (I have a lot of Moog parts) some other brands as well.

I just want to be sure that If I prep the parts properly by cleaning/scuffing/sanding(was hoping to not have to bead blast all existing paint off to be sure it doesn't flake off with whatever paint I end up using but my gut tells me I really should to insure not having to kick my own arse down the road) for adhesion of the Imron that It will in fact not have a problem adhering to the paint that is on most chassis parts. AND if anyone believes that I will have issues....what I can do differently (different paint choice, different prep) to avoid any issues.

Im edumacating myself

Last edited by dh12791; 02-29-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't really help. I hand sanded off ever last bit of OEM paint and rattle canned primer/paint on 10yrs ago and its only now starting to wear off. Keep a good write up with pics on how it ends up going....
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by helidriver
I can't really help. I hand sanded off ever last bit of OEM paint and rattle canned primer/paint on 10yrs ago and its only now starting to wear off. Keep a good write up with pics on how it ends up going....
Well dang. Im happy for you. You either did a helluva job hand sanding or you got a great batch of rattle can paint.
Or even more rare youre a decent person and have some good karma flowing your way.
Im sure ill end up masking all parts off and bead blasting If I know myself well enough by now because in the words of Forrest Gump....."I figure I got this far, I might as well keep right on going." Although I commend you for being crazy enough to follow through with those two dreaded words...
hand sanding

Do you remember what kind of rattle can paint you used by chance?

Old 03-01-2020, 06:10 AM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Did you consider powder coating? It's highly chip & chemical resistant & lasts. Also most places that do it can clean & media blast the parts for you before coating them for very positive adhesion. Last time I checked pricing was pretty reasonable too.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 13Swords
Did you consider powder coating? It's highly chip & chemical resistant & lasts. Also most places that do it can clean & media blast the parts for you before coating them for very positive adhesion. Last time I checked pricing was pretty reasonable too.
I did consider it but only very briefly. Ive read and heard a lot of things about it chipping easily contrary to popular belief and being more difficult to touch up if need be. My feelings are that it is a great finish for a show car chassis but I would be disappointed with it in the long run on an everyday driver. I also felt like I could do it much more cost effectively and with better peace of mind that things are done properly if I do it myself. I have an extremely hard time handing off work of any kind to anybody else If I know I can do it myself. Most places I checked. maybe moreso here in New Jersey people want to charge an arm and a leg and a half pint of blood to powder coat one car rim let alone an entire frame.

Last edited by dh12791; 03-01-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:47 AM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
I can understand your position on this. Like the wife likes to say, "No one handles your stuff like you do". It's also a matter of those that can, do, those that can't, pay.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:03 AM

I like to think a little bit of each... Love the rattle can cause it doesnt look good enough to steal and if, when, i scratched it it was stupid easy fast to "touch up". Haha. Standard acetone wipe, followed by self etching primer then standard rustoleum.
dh12791 (03-10-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 08:15 PM

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
dh'91. You're doing quite a bit.

Your other post about frame cancer has now started causing me gnawing doubts. Thanks. (j/k)

How many times have you thought to yourself "dang. I should have started a build thread." ?
Cuz you should.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by coopster
dh'91. You're doing quite a bit.

Your other post about frame cancer has now started causing me gnawing doubts. Thanks. (j/k)

How many times have you thought to yourself "dang. I should have started a build thread." ?
Cuz you should.
Haha what can i say Im kind of a perfectionist. I loved my truck the way it was but when the 3.0 started having problems the deeper i got into that i figured i might as well suck it up and do everything the right way so im not regretting halfassing it down the road. No pun intended.
​​​​ it has crossed my mind a few times now to do a build thread assuming its what i think it is. Was thinking of starting a thread once I actually get back to building and probably starting when i rebuild my trans rear axle power steering gearbox and the like before i start assembly. And maybe to include painting of my frame, cab bodywork and paint etc. Just not sure if my video skills/willingness are up to par but I can take plenty of pics.
​​​​ or am i misenterpating "build thread" and this is a nice way of you saying dh91 stop making so many random posts and start putting all your questions in one place

Its my first time using a forum
Old 03-10-2020, 06:56 AM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by dh12791
... (looking like I will be using Imron at this point....brushed on) ...
Doesn't Imron contain Isocyanates? (as in: Bhopal) Doesn't the MSDS require: ".. wear a positive-pressure, supplied-air respirator (NIOSH approved TC-19C) while mixing activator/hardener with paint, during application and until all vapors and spray mist are exhausted."? (Also known as a "space suit.")

I've never been completely scared off by a product that is "limited to professionals only," but "overkill" might be more prescient than you planned.
shaeff (03-12-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:51 AM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts
​​​​ or am i misinterpreting "build thread" and this is a nice way of you saying dh91 stop making so many random posts and start putting all your questions in one place

Its my first time using a forum
When the forum originally got started, "Build Thread" was mostly for sharing how you are building up your truck for off-road use. Now, the definition of a build thread is a little more broad. Most build threads are started to keep a collection of all the work that you do on your truck, whether you are building an off-road vehicle, modifying some part of your vehicle, restoring your vehicle, or even just keeping it stock and keeping up with maintenance. It is a thread that keeps all relevant information about your truck in one place. It is still fine to start regular "Tech" threads if the question can apply to more than just your truck.

The following 2 users liked this post by old87yota:
5 Fists (03-10-2020), coopster (03-10-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
When the forum originally got started, "Build Thread" was mostly for sharing how you are building up your truck for off-road use. Now, the definition of a build thread is a little more broad. Most build threads are started to keep a collection of all the work that you do on your truck, whether you are building an off-road vehicle, modifying some part of your vehicle, restoring your vehicle, or even just keeping it stock and keeping up with maintenance. It is a thread that keeps all relevant information about your truck in one place. It is still fine to start regular "Tech" threads if the question can apply to more than just your truck.

ahhhh okay gotchya I appreciate the info. Is there a way for me to take all my posts that Ive made so far and move them to a build thread? sounds like this would be a good idea....
Old 03-13-2020, 01:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I don’t think your overboard at all with your way of wanting to rust proof. Anything I touch on any of my vehicles I do anything needed to prevent rust. I use fluid film and wool wax on the frame and everything else under my truck. Seems to Work very well.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:54 PM

Well dang. Im happy for you. You either did a helluva job hand sanding or you got a great batch of rattle can paint.
Or even more rare youre a decent person and have some good karma flowing your way.
Im sure ill end up masking all parts off and bead blasting If I know myself well enough by now because in the words of Forrest Gump....."I figure I got this far, I might as well keep right on going." Although I commend you for being crazy enough to follow through with those two dreaded words...
hand sanding

Do you remember what kind of rattle can paint you used by chance?

Sorry, for the lloooong delay, haha, I used white label black semi rustoleum over rustoleum self etching primer.