Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Some engine thoughts - 22re

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya, dam coolant clamps area pain.. they didnt go back on when i re-assy my enginge.. so,

it cam be done.. if you need more room get out the bfh and make more room by presauding the firewall..
Old 01-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Was able to get outside today and dive into the engine bay to tighten the last bottom bolt. I did finally get the coolant tube tab out of the way enough to get a socket wrench on the last bolt and tighten it down. As the first bottom bolt this one was pretty loose as well. I will have to monitor it from here to see if she still leaks. Thanks again for everyone help.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:58 PM

lay some cardboard sheets under your truck and check for leaks

lay some paper towels back there and see if they soak up any coolant
Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Exclamation I have the same problem with my 86 pick up,did u ever get urs fixed?

Originally Posted by BIGBOCK
I bought a new rig a few months ago. It's an 86 4runner with a 22re swapped in from a 93 pickup with 130k on it. I have not driven it much as it's trail rig only. Lately it's been VERY cold out and I have noticed white exhaust each time I move it into the garage and back. That kind of had me worried. I also have a coolant leak I haven't been able to track on the backside of the engine running down onto the bellhousing.

This weekend while I was doing my rear springs I changed the oil. no water, no chocolate milk which was good.

Also, the PO has quite the janky exhaust system going on. Here's a pic of the tail pipe so you guys can see where I am going with this longwindedness.

Take note the tailpipe points upward...so today it was warmed up outside so I started the truck and let it idle for about 20 minutes until the heater was blowing hot. The exhaust started out white for the first few minutes but then went to a more normal color which was a slight relief. While the engine ran there was water on the ground under the tailpipe so I am thinking with all the snow and such we have been getting there is a chance there was some water in the tailpipe?

Also, while the heater was going, and it was sunny and bright out, I climbed into the engine bay, yeah dont try this at home while its running, Im a trained professional . And, I spotted that damn coolant leak which is droppong a drop about every minute while the engine is running. Here are some pics, but listen carefully....I dont have a paint program to circle the area so Im gonna Zoom you kind people in where I see it dripping onto the bellhousing and maybe you can offer me advice on what it could be. It is under the metal tube you see as far left as you see in the pic.

Wait For it

So up against the left side of engine where the tube runs behind the engine, the coolant is dripping possibly off the tube then running down the bellhousing. I didnt see it traveling down from the hose clamp or anything. I need to pick up one of those extendo spy gadget mirrors to get a closer look.

Any thoughts on the leak generally?

I have the same problem, did u ever get urs fixed? if yes how?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by duhrellie13
I have the same problem, did u ever get urs fixed? if yes how?
Not yet unfortunately. The biggest problem is the location. If you look at the picture of the backplate posted above by FLYINGBRASS, mine is leaking out from under the plate and needs a new gasket. I may pull the valve cover again and climb up there and get er done this summer. Good luck man, it doesnt look easy unless you have good tools to which I dont.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 PM

Here is a close-up pic of what your looking at..That back plate is going to be fun to get to with it in the truck. I think it could be done with a small ratchet/wrench..but I never said it would be easy. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Lightbulb

Man, I HAD the same problem with my '87 4Runner. All the mechanics said pull the head. Well, I'm on the beer budget, so I got a block off plate from LCM. They also sell the oem if you want to keep it. All 5 bolts take patience. Yes, take the hood off. Mark where the hindges were before you take it off. Remember patience. If you have help get under the truck with 2 or 3 long extensions on the wrench and you should be able to access the bottom 2 bolts. When I put the new one on I used gasket sealer along with the gasket. Hope this gives you some kind of help. Remember patience!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:23 PM

Exclamation ...

Not yet unfortunately. The biggest problem is the location. If you look at the picture of the backplate posted above by FLYINGBRASS, mine is leaking out from under the plate and needs a new gasket. I may pull the valve cover again and climb up there and get er done this summer. Good luck man, it doesnt look easy unless you have good tools to which I dont.
do they make a gasket for that cover? and idont even know what that cover is called so its making me have a problem of looking for it,i havent seen one for sale online to replace mine
Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 PM

yeah there is a part number for it..ill check in a sec. The autozone guys have no clue what it is or where it came from..Already been through that..I just made my own gasket..works great, but I would advise getting the real thing.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:48 PM

182-35040 is the part number. Its called the "Cylinder Head Rear Plate and Gasket".

The gasket is only a few bucks..If you cant find it anywhere, here is a site that would have it. http://www.toyotapartseast.com/compo...-04-11638.html
Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Smile thanks

Originally Posted by Bassmastry101
182-35040 is the part number. Its called the "Cylinder Head Rear Plate and Gasket".

The gasket is only a few bucks..If you cant find it anywhere, here is a site that would have it. http://www.toyotapartseast.com/compo...-04-11638.html

omg thank you so much! your big help
Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 PM

all the time that you are spending on this i would just pull the head leaving the intake and exhaust attached. put the head on the bench and do it there.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bassmastry101

Awesome! Thanks man!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by paintthetown
Man, I HAD the same problem with my '87 4Runner. All the mechanics said pull the head. Well, I'm on the beer budget, so I got a block off plate from LCM. They also sell the oem if you want to keep it. All 5 bolts take patience. Yes, take the hood off. Mark where the hindges were before you take it off. Remember patience. If you have help get under the truck with 2 or 3 long extensions on the wrench and you should be able to access the bottom 2 bolts. When I put the new one on I used gasket sealer along with the gasket. Hope this gives you some kind of help. Remember patience!!!
Thank you for the advice!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 PM

Awesome! Thanks man!
Originally Posted by duhrellie13
omg thank you so much! your big help
No problem!
Old 05-29-2011, 01:26 PM

Those anyone know if those two aluminum pipes are water or exhaust??
Old 05-29-2011, 03:56 PM

The two pipes, I believe there is one of each. One is exhaust and one is coolent. I have completely removed all of this mess. Never had any engine problems.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they leak coolant they must not be exhaust

There not Aluminum either, the only AL under the hood it the head itself and the front cover.

The exhaust is the big cast iron (if stock) chunk most likely with a shield over it. If you removed this the engine would be very loud.

As far as the back plate goes. Take the EGR off and you will have much more access on the passenger side.