Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

So you want to steal a 93 runner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll throw in another vote for PO messing with you. Just because you bought it from a dealer doesn't mean the PO doesn't live down the block from you. Don't know where you live but where I'm I see a boat I sold a while back, several times every summer.

I'll also second the pistol. You might have to put up with blood splatter on your carpet but the guy won't try it twice...
Old 04-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
my advise? get a new set of door locks, so at least that key would be different

I fought with a sticky lock for about 2 years, and finally got fed up when I was locked out of my truck in the rain because the tumbler would no longer function

Off to the parts store, for a new set of locks for both doors that came with 2 new kets, and installed them in about an hour

after that, there was a different key for the doors and the iginition, so you have to remember that the same key will no longer start the truck, lol, but it'll at least change the door locks so whoever's screwing with you can't even get into the truck any more

if anything, new locks won't be able to be opened with a flat head screwdriver

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-29-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
OH, and most garage door openers have to learn the remote, not the remote learns them

so a resest (like unplugging it) may have disabled that remote from working

check the manual for that garage door opener. if it has steps on it for seting up a new remote, and it says something on the lines of "press the button the garage door motor unit until a signal shows it's watching for a remote (light lights flashing on the motor unit) then press and hold the button on the remote untill another signal is shown that the motor unit has learned the code (like lights flashing again, or the door moves)"

at least that's how my Sears one works

Old 04-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my 94 4rnner key has started several other 4runners.. you just have to jiggle it as you try turning it. its sucks but unless you buy new locks from the dealer ($$) or get a hidden kill switch there isnt much you can do.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this happened to my friends Honda, he got an alarm installed along with a kill switch.

Or, a nice bumper sticker.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 AM

my style bumper sticker =P
Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by swampfox
did you know the person you bought it from ? it sounds like someone knows the truck. either they had a hide a key on it that you didn't know of or they still had a key.
x2
Old 04-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Hi Monizuki, my '87 was stolen last August. Taken from my driveway in Roseville, CA before 6A.M. on a Friday morning, found two miles away on Monday afternoon. No damage, ignition and door locks intact. The only items stolen were: stereo faceplate, one side of the two piece windshield shade and the notebook with all of my oil change records. I wonder if it was the same crooks? Mike
Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 PM

posting a sticker like that will also lead a crook to believe there is something of value in there he wants.like placing a banner on your vehicle (free guns!!!!!)
i do insurance work for alot of motorhomes and we get allot of breakins the first thing i usualy see in the window or on the rear of the coach is a sticker like that.just my 2 cents
Old 04-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
remember in those spy movies, like Ronin and Taken, where the guy needs to "borrow" a car long enough to get him out of one place, and into another?

And it has to be inconspicuous enough not to raise any suspicions or flags to cops en route?

You know the ones?

Toyota 4Runner: Bourne/ Bond approved!

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-29-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN

Toyota 4Runner: Bourne/ Bond approved!
NA, man, they aint fast enough for those guys! lol.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM

i am a locksmith and i have seen plenty of worn ignitions that will turn with nothing but a screwdriver or worn key. there is also a few other ways it could have been stolen. if you have connections you can just use the vin go get the key code and cut a key. or someone could have impressioned or just picked ur locks. but since they didnt take it very far it may have just been someone messing with ya. either way i would just rekey ur truck at least.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:27 PM

I have an 88 runner and an 88 pickup, and i've gone so far as to grab the wrong set of keys and drive around all day without noticing until I got back. if someone has something resembling a toyota key at all, they can probably open and start your truck if its worn enough.

I got some new door locks and that helped. like $30 or less on ebay.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:32 PM

I live in salt lake and even if the cops had caught them in the car, chances of them doing ANYTHING is about jack squat. I can open my friends 84 and start it, he can start nearly any of his 3 yotas with nearly any other yota key. Time for new locks on your 4runner, and if you can change the signal box on your garage door opener, I would do so. Another option i've never tried but pretty sure it would work, they make long neck padlocks for trailer couplers that should fit around the pedal assemblies under the dashboard. A pain in the arse, but i wouldn't want to try driving one like that.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Some garage door openers can be reprogrammed or set to a different code or frequency. Having a kill switch installed would be good. Concealed weapon and some target practice pays off nicely too...
Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by abeD85flatbed
I live in salt lake and even if the cops had caught them in the car, chances of them doing ANYTHING is about jack squat.
Yup. Here in Austin, same deal. After my friends' car windows were broken out so many times, I decided to stop locking my car. When my car finally got burgled (the windows and convertible top survived!), I called the cops, and they came by, visually (!?!) inspected for fingerprints, stated conclusively that there were none, and left. Thieves got a handful of change, a rechargeable flashlight w/o the charger, and an expensive pair of prescription sunglasses that nobody else could use. Grr.

And with cop attitudes like that, no wonder the thieves keep breaking windows, right? APD couldn't be a more useless police force, until it comes to messing with innocent people, which they seem to really get off on. Yup, I've got a problem with them.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:52 AM

You and me both Betel. Stereo, iPod and WeedEater (no joke) was stolen outta my 4runner from the driveway two nights ago. They also took my neighbors flashlight from his Jag. He called APD CSI and they came to start the incident report. I figured I'd talk to them there as well. They turned me down. They said I had to make a separate phone call and request for help, while he was standing in front of me with the incident reports in hand. I suppose a laid-back city attitude is across the board, expect for the criminals, who seem to be the most industrious of all.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Crazy Ex? This all sounds odd. As for the key, mine is so worn out it pulls out of the ignition when the truck is all the way on... I remember that from my other Toyotas too, I say when the keys get that worn, there is a possibility they will work in many other warn Toyota lock cylinders.

This does sound personal. They took just enought make you mad and take notice, but didn't otherwise damage the vehicle?

Then again, how recently was the stereo installed or worked on? As a former installer I hate to say maybe your installer did it, but they would have access to your key, know what you had in the vehicle, know you didn't have an alarm or kill switch, and might have use for a face plate as they could have a matching stereo without one... longshot, but think about stuff like this and maybe you will find the douchebag.

Goodluck!

Last edited by MortonPhotographic; 04-30-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 AM

My friend had an '88 Pickup that would start with a couple of keys. His '82 Corolla key and my '84 Corolla key would do it.

Plus you could pull the key right out of the ignition while it was running, not even turn it off, just pull the key out in the Run position. Super worn out ignition cylinder.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:02 AM

Quick Reply: So you want to steal a 93 runner...