Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

So I know...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NelsonM
alright, ill give it a shot in the morning, its too cold now thats its 12:30 . thats what i was doing but the timing still seemed off, maybe i should just let it run for a minute? also when you say center the dist on the bolt do you mean i should tighten the bolt halfway between the top and bottom of where it can slide up and down? ill do that too. i got the plug wires good, but taking out my #1 plug revealed it was corroded and dirty after a few thousand miles. as far as the washer... i cant say i remember seeing one, but honestly i never looked too hard, not to mention the last few times ive been doing this with the valve cover on.. how important is it?
if it's giving you problems starting, but has started, the cylinders may be flooded, so it may need to run a bit to clear things up. and yes I meant halfway between the top and bottom of the bolt.
if you don't have that washer/shim between the cam sprocket and the distributor drive gear it will throw the distributor off and you will be beating yourself up trying to get the timing correct- one tooth one way and you'll be too advanced, and one tooth the other way and the timing will be too retarded.
it's a good idea to have the valve cover off when you're first assembling things just for the visual check, but you want it on when you start the engine or you'll be slinging oil all over the place.