Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

this is so depressing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>>*Hello. Been awhile since I got in here, I can't get this site open down at my ranch due to d..i..a..ll....up....Lord I miss DSL. I just left my shop, spent the day double checking products.

K..Gaskets, yep, we see one failed once in awhile. My records show that last year we shipped 1190 sets. We see 8 concerns, those are the ones we hear about and I log each and every one of them. Might be a few more, I can't help anyone I don't hear from.

Now most turn out to be upsets, clamping force, tuneup errors, all the usual. Of course no one ever makes mistakes, me either (I blame those on my son Tod) The truth is that defects we find right out of the box and don't install them. Gaskets don't typically fail due to the gaskets, no matter what brand you are using.

Same deal with bearings. My logs show just two cases of "no fit" and one gentleman claimed TWICE?? OK, but funny, way over 1000 sets sold last year, just fine. KING bearings are the very BEST on this planet, made in Isreal. Ask any NASCAR engine builder.

A few failures, sure. Those turn out to be dirt or metal or something wasn't sized properly, bolt wasn't tight, rod cap reversed, on and on.. You folks might be amazed at how much silicone and RTV we dig out of oil galleys.

With proper fit and proper oiling there is almost zero friction. Every "brand" in the world will work when all is correct, get some friction in there and failure is very quick.

As far as the Rock head gasket goes, go check one side by side with the ones made for many Japanese OEM. Or ACL, and several other "brands". The sources are something I happen to know for a fact, I have been in the plant and watched them made.

I like Rock products brand, they give me the best service and the lowest defect rate by far, and I have a shade over 45 years invested in this industry so I happen to know a good product when I see it. Rock products is not a manufacturer, they are a brand that packages kits from products all over the world, just like every other brand.

Manufacturers make products, label them, change the label and keep right on going. Very often one part is claimed to be "superior" to the other, yet only the box is different.

Product brands are personal choice, I don't mind at all if someone else sells something because we can't put items in boxes much faster than we are already. In case of a defect, let me know and I will fix it. .*Other than that, we just keep on doing the best we can I guess. It bothers me when people have troubles, I want to help. Sometimes I don't get to, that is even worse. ...*EB
Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
www.22re.com
Old 02-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow , Bleed that kinda stinks. At least its clean, and knowing you, (and i don't) you'll be up and running in a week.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
ummm, this was a long time ago guys, lol

I retorqued the head shortly after the leak started, and it hasn't leaked a drop since, just FYI

EB, I still stand behind your products 100%, and continue to reffer people to you for their 22re rebuilding needs.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:38 PM

LOL I missed your first post date, I was so caught in the humanity of it all, dang lol
Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bleeders threads never die!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM

cool photo's
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep. Bleeder is one of the best here posting useful pics.

Last edited by flyingbrass; 02-23-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingbrass
Yep. Bleeder is one of the best here posting useful pics.
I agree!! Bleeder help me out big time with a timing chain R & R. The guy is super cool and has helped me out more times than I can count!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to make something clear. I am very happy overall with Engnbldr and his products. Ted is a great guy with lots of knowledge, and always willing to help.

Also, as a whole, Rock Products seem to be quality and get the job done.

While the head gaskets due have a design that seems to lend itself to requiring a little extra torque, or maybe just a "cleaner" torque then the OEM gaskets require to get a proper seal, they still seem like an overall functional gasket.

In any case, I wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding of what I was saying in my previous posts. Ted is a great guy, and I will always recommend him and his products overall.

Keep up the good work Ted, you are an asset to the Toyota world.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Since someone already revived this old thread almost 3 years ago, I think it's overdue for a

I recently noticed a leak, which looks dead on like what Bleeder had going on - I started a thread today about it, and 92TOY directed me to this thread - so glad he did.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post52006320

Bleeder - if you're still reading these....did that re-torquing keep the coolant at bay? I think you evenutally upgraded to a 3.4 didn't you? Anyway, mine is stock, original, with 275K miles on it (as far as I know - I haven't had the head off i the 75K miles I've driven it in the last 10 years).

Is re-torquing as simple as it sounds:

1) Break free each of the head bolts with the valve cover off (just broken free, not loosened several turns)

2) Re-torque to 58 ft/lbs, using the sequence in the FSM

3) Torque again without first breaking loose, after 100-500 miles

?