Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

small electrical fire now blowing 80A alt fuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy small electrical fire now blowing 80A alt fuse

okay so here is the history of the recent events. Christmas my 1986 22RE 5 speed 4x4 blows it alternator and the charge and brake light come on. This is fine because it has happened before. So i removed the alternator and take it into canadian tire to get tested and a new replacement. I install the new one and everything works fine. a week later i am heading home and i start to smell burnt plastic. This is never a good thing and pull off to the side of the road. At this point i see a little smoke coming from the hood. Nothing ever good comings from smoke under the hood. I open the hood and get to see the alternator connector next to the airbox smoking like a grandma at bingo. Within seconds the connector is nolonger smoking and is now on fire. Thank good for snow. Never thought i would every be happy it was here. Anyways i get it towed home and survey the damage. I looks to just be the connector. I get to the local scrapyard and pickup a new connector. solder in the new connectors and go to connect up the battery again. All i hear is a little puff and i know already the alt 80A fusible link is gone. So i check it out and it's blow. i am getting power to show the charge light and thats about it. So i replaced the fusible link and yet again it blow. This is with out even the keys in. I am not the best with electrical problems so i am looking to you guys for help. I am assuming that i should pretty much check all of the wires to make sure that they are not shorting out. So where do i start to look? Is there any wires that should be the first to check. Any and all help will be helpfull.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would start by disconnecting the alt completely, the big charge wire and the plug, and see if it still blows the fuse, i bet thats its related to the "new" alternator since thats the only thing you changed in the recent past

EDIT: i reread you post and this has happened in the past?

Last edited by superjoe83; 01-07-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 PM

okay well i'll start with that. I'm guessing that if that fuse doesn't blow then the alternator would be where the short is?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the advice i seem to have been able to find the short to ground. When i replace the alternator the alternator cable was a little loose and melted/grounded on the exhaust. So its now running just with the charge and brake light on. So i'm thinking a alternator test is needed to make sure i didn't fry something in the process.