Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
View Poll Results: to SAS or Not To SAS.. that is the ?
4" Lift, call it good
16.05%
4" lift for now, SAS later when needed
17.28%
SAS it now and be done with it
51.85%
Save the money and buy a trail rig later.
14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

To SAS or not to SAS that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im just a true fan of IFS. it really isnt that weak. look at one of the best 4X4s ever built... the Hummer. it has IFS and IRS. if your worried about CVs then put on some limiting straps or a diffdrop. and wheel until you break the whole suspension. then SAS.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ToferUOP
i am not 100% happy with the BJ spacers. they seem to have been more trouble then they are worth (read 5 torn CV boots since installed 10 months ago.)
Did you crank your T bars up, leave them where they were, or ease them down a skosh? The consensus among the gurus here seems to be to ease the T bars down a bit after the BJ installation.

Originally Posted by slosurfer
You can run 33's with your bj spacers. If you are tearing cv boots you may have to shim your bumpstop. I know that with stock upper bumpstop you shouldn't have to, but I had to on my driver side. I have been wheeling alot since then and have had no problems. I shimmed the other side too, just so they would be the same.
Hmmmm . . .

My vote is to save your money and dial in the IFS to run 33's if that's possible. (That is possible isn't it? ) Get some lockers and have fun. Get through school, reward yourself with a cool DD, and make yourself a trail rig!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Snorkeldepth

Hmmmm . . .

My vote is to save your money and dial in the IFS to run 33's if that's possible. (That is possible isn't it? ) Get some lockers and have fun. Get through school, reward yourself with a cool DD, and make yourself a trail rig!
I have a set of 33x12.50x15's that I offroad with. The rims have to have 3.75" backspacing. The steering stops should be adjusted a little bit to keep from rubbing on the idler and pitman arm. ( I haven't done this yet as I just barely rub at extreme turning). The pinch weld has to be hammered flat if you run with your sway bar disconnected. I haven't done this yet so I keep my swaybar connected. Trim the valence and no fender trimming. I still have my running boards on so I have to remove the front cap when I go offroad, but they don't rub on the street.

I vote to save your money, lock your rear end, and see if you can get the bj spacers to work with 33's Then SAS it down the road

Last edited by slosurfer; 05-17-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

SAS. It's night and day. No more rattles, screwed up spindle bearings, alignment thrown outta whack after a speed bump.

And it's really nice finally being locked up.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:16 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for all the Replys. Life has been CRAZY with finals, working (worked 20 hours stright) packing and moving... and i am not actully home yet, i am actully sitting in the Rogue Valley Rest Area where the state of Oregon has provided me with free WiFi i'll have a better reply to everyone's comments once i get home and get some sleep, but i just wanted to say that i havent forgoten about this thread, lifes just been real busy.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:59 PM

I say keep your rig the way it is, and sling an axle under your 2wd. cool link to one on pirate...http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...t=447914&pp=25
Old 05-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Sponsor

humm.... that might not be a bad idea... after towing it wiht the 4runner today i dont know if i want to do it again. i was WOT in 3rd most of the time going over the pass having to downshift to 2nd a couple times. but i like the idea of turning the 2wd into a 4wd. hummmmmmm
Old 05-21-2006, 11:29 AM

If you are a rockcrawler kind of guy SAS it now. If you like the mud like me then leave the IFS.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by curly_c
IFS can go alot of places. ive been alot of places with my dads 86. we've pulled big SA trucks out of places that they got stuck. IFS is not complete and utter crap. if you dont really need a SAS then you dont really need to spend the money. and you dont need a full blown 4" inch lift either. what is wrong with what you got?
Yes, i know IFS isnt as bad as everyone says it is. whats wrong with my current setup is that its not as lifted as i want, the LC coils are sagging so bad it looks like i have stock coils, i want to run 33x12.5.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Save the money and wait until you are out of school to play. A SAS or any trail rig for that matter is a LOT of time and $$$ to be done right IMO...and broke college students have neither.

I agree with waiting on the trail rig till i am out of school. as for the SAS i have a friend who is willing to do it for me for more or less free so all i have to do is buy parts and beer.

Originally Posted by SteveO
Do the SAC. If you are doing it on a '94 4Runner, its really, really easy compared to the 3rd gen or Tacos, and cheaper as well. Get the SAC done, and you won't have to worry about exploding CV's anymore. You can set it up for a good ride on the highway, as well as great flex off road. If you do the IFS, you're gonna wish you had spent the time and money on the SAC. If you do the SAC, you'll be much happier down the trail.
that was my thought too. my buddy said that doing an SAS on 2nd gens are easier then it sounds.

Originally Posted by Tanto
Phalanx has a 4" lift f/r BTW.

I say get rid of the BJ spacer and wheel the crap out of your IFS until you can afford to do a SAC right the first time.
the problem with Wheeling the crap of it it till it can afford to sas is that i am afraid if i take this route i will do damage to more then just the IFS, i would rather have it set up right in the frist place and not have to wheel it till i breaks. i would hate to go beat the snot out of it, and end up blowing the motor and tranny.

Originally Posted by tc
Wait, you don't even have lockers yet and you want to SAS? :pat:

You didn't have my choice on your poll:

Take the BJ spacers off (or leave them and uncrank the torsion bars) and run 33x10.50 with no lift. CV problem solved. Ground clearance (under the diffs) problem solved. Install lockers, sliders, and bumpers with less than half the money you woul spend on a well done SAS. Take the other half of the money and spend it on gas and hotel rooms and WHEEL THE HECK OUT OF IT.

The ONLY reason to SAS is when your skill goes beyond what you can do with the setup above, and at that point, you REALLY need to consider builing a buggy because you really shouldn't take a full bodied truck on the trails you will be running...

My $0.02
I was afraid i was going to get comments about wanting to SAS w/o having lockers first. again i would rather have it set up right in the first place.

Originally Posted by Snorkeldepth
Did you crank your T bars up, leave them where they were, or ease them down a skosh? The consensus among the gurus here seems to be to ease the T bars down a bit after the BJ installation.

Hmmmm . . .

T-bars are stock.

Originally Posted by jsnby
SAS. It's night and day. No more rattles, screwed up spindle bearings, alignment thrown outta whack after a speed bump.

And it's really nice finally being locked up.
thats what i was hoping to hear.

and i talked to my dad about doing the conversion of the 2wd to SFA 4wd. and he said NO. as is the 81 is taking the spot of his new Z4 in the garage because he's embarrased by it and wants it hidden.. so he's not happy that his Z4 is parked outside as is. so wanting more garage space to do a conversion is out of the question..
Old 05-21-2006, 01:21 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the problem with Wheeling the crap of it it till it can afford to sas is that i am afraid if i take this route i will do damage to more then just the IFS, i would rather have it set up right in the frist place and not have to wheel it till i breaks. i would hate to go beat the snot out of it, and end up blowing the motor and tranny.
I was afraid i was going to get comments about wanting to SAS w/o having lockers first. again i would rather have it set up right in the first place.
More lift = more trouble. The higher you go, the bigger tires, the more likely you are to break something REALLY expensive or even hurt/kill yourself by having a rig that gets you in WAY over your head.

I would argue that stock + lockers IS set up right in the first place!

Lockers + IFS have gotten a bad rap, mostly from the "gotta SAS now" bandwagon and people who don't have them. Lockers give you the traction to do obstacles slow and in control.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36079

No matter what you build, you're gonna break stuff. CV's are cheap and easy to replace!

thats what i was hoping to hear.
If you already knew the answer, why did you ask?
Old 05-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Sponsor

i said that because i knew he had just SASed his 2nd gen and is happy with how it turned out.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

IFS sucks.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I agree with waiting on the trail rig till i am out of school. as for the SAS i have a friend who is willing to do it for me for more or less free so all i have to do is buy parts and beer.
Building my 85 was a LOT of work and the parts alone were a LOT of money and to do a SAS, you are looking at some cash flow just for parts, as I don't see you trying to reinvent the wheel just to save some $$$, it is just impractical w/ all the "kits" that take out most of the guesswork, but not the skillz necessary to bolt/weld it all up.

There is a totally built 85 Toy front axle for sale on Marlin for $3500...and that is pretty reasonable considering all that he has in it and has done to it. A comparable Toy rear axle is for sale by the same guy for $2500...that should give you a price cap of what you are looking to do...and those are JUST the axles.

Having it done FREE compared to RIGHT are definitely not the same thing, but that is possible.

I'd say you'd be lucky to get it done and truly wheelable for under (you can add it up)...

85 SFA - $250
SFA lift kit - $1500 (whatever Trail Gear costs these days)
Rear to match - $700 (ditto)
Lockers - ARBs - $2000
30 spline Longfields - $700
Chromoly (Poly Performance) rears - $500
New wheels/tires - $1000
Knuckly rebuild kits - $200
D-shafts redone - $750

And that is just what I can think of off the top of my head...and then there is the "whoops" factor of the things you need, forgot or installations. A friend who will do it for BEER and PIZZA or FREE...doesn't know what they are getting themselves into.

IMO, these days cheap and wheeling don't go together and all those folks that build those "budget" builds are also the DAs always broke down on the side of the trail too w/o any spare parts and/or tools.

Do it right or don't bother.

My SFA rig wheels so much better than my IFS rig did, but they both have merits...just depends on how bad you want it and how deep your pockets are. I'd be more worried about the 3.slow squirrels you got under the hood than the IFS and wheeling it.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-21-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:06 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by rocket
IFS sucks.
So do vacuum cleaners. But they get the job done. I will now fart in your general direction.

Last edited by Bobakazi; 05-22-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Another advantage of SAS that is seldom mentioned or realized until you have one is the increased accessibility to engine and accessories. You gain a massive amount of room under there once the IFS is all gone. With the 3.0, any extra room is a great benefit.

I wouldn't SAS for that reason alone, but it is an overlooked benefit in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:21 PM

Based upon my reading and this survey, SAS is the way I will be going. I have had my '94 for 6 months and it doesn't take much for me to get at least one tire in the air. I was once balanced in such a way that I could move in my seat to the left and right and make it sway back and forth.

and good discussion.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tc
Wait, you don't even have lockers yet and you want to SAS? :pat:

You didn't have my choice on your poll:

Take the BJ spacers off (or leave them and uncrank the torsion bars) and run 33x10.50 with no lift. CV problem solved. Ground clearance (under the diffs) problem solved. Install lockers, sliders, and bumpers with less than half the money you woul spend on a well done SAS. Take the other half of the money and spend it on gas and hotel rooms and WHEEL THE HECK OUT OF IT.

The ONLY reason to SAS is when your skill goes beyond what you can do with the setup above, and at that point, you REALLY need to consider builing a buggy because you really shouldn't take a full bodied truck on the trails you will be running...

My $0.02

It's like you stole the words right outta my mouth. One of the best/most logical posts I've read on here in a while.

I've been wheeling my '88 junk for the last 13 years, and only a month ago did I finally SAS it. I've run some seriously hard trails over the last three years with nothing but 32"s, dual cases, a spooled rear, and BJ spacers.

I don't want to sound like a dick, but my general feeling is that if you can't really decide whether a 4" IFS lift or a SAS would be better for your own rig, then you do not need a SAS.

Last edited by BeaterToyota; 05-27-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:50 AM

If you want to make your truck ALOT more trail capable spend less money- buy armor and a rear locker. Other than that- leave it alone. Save up for life, finish school, get out on your own, then worry about a toy.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say get a rear locker then see how much you still think you need an SAS for a daily driver.

Lamm
Old 06-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Aussie in the rear, armor, and save the rest of your money. Don't spend it 'til you have it. You'll be a better driver if you can wheel what you have. As Roger (4Crawler) says, only lift as much as you have to, as little as possible. SAS only really helps you if you're doing really hard rockcrawling. I've made it fine in CO for almost 20 years with the stock tires/wheels/no lift/open diff. It is great for 80% of the trails here.

Quick Reply: To SAS or not to SAS that is the ?