Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rings, Pistons, Header, A/C too?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I put the new oil pump and water pump on the timing chain cover before or after I install it onto the block?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

I did after, that does not mean it was what I should have done:dunno

I really like ED, seems it is pops that answers the E-mails and boy is he good:deal

Repo
Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 AM

I'm getting pretty close

Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 AM

I just sat the valve cover on for effect. I still have to adjust the valve lash, put those half-moons in and button it up.

I also have to torque the crankshaft bolt (116 lbs). When I did the timing chain before I had a helper with strong hand hold the pulley still so I could torque it. This time I'm solo. How can I get it torqued? FSM show SST (super special tool) holding it in place. How do us do-it-yourselfers do it?

Gotta push pause for a few days. Got some things to do this weekend. Start back up Monday.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Once the motor is in and connected to tranny, put it in gear and pull.... till the proper tq is reached.

That was my solution.

Repo
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM

Looks good. Is your 22re sticker new? If so where did you get it?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:56 AM

hilandfrog: Hmm. It goes on the same way it came off. I should have known that. I'll just have to remember to crank it down before I fire it up.

spokane: Yeah it's new. $2.95 The old one fell apart when I was washing it up. I picked it up from a Toyota dealer in Kansas. I buy all my Toyota parts from them. They are much cheaper that any other Toyota dealer around me. Shipping is cheap and they don't charge tax so it cancels out. Here's their number 1 800 516 1455. Seriously, their prices are nearly half of what my local toyota dealer charges. For example I needed a new tps and both dealers within 50 miles of me wanted $210 and $240. I got one from this place for $98.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:39 AM

so what did you end up doing about the oil pump? i got my block back from the machine shop yesterday, it was done about 26 hrs after i dropped it off. so they were crazy fast. i plan on starting to assemble this weekend so i'm right behind you. keep the pics coming, it's more motivation to get mine done! ha ha.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 AM

spokane: I ended up picking up an aisin oil pump locally and putting it on after I had the timing chain cover on.

I can't believe how quickly you got your block back. You're hot on my tail now. I won't even be able to touch mine until tomorrow. If you start a thread post a link here so I can see your progress too. All the fun, none of the grease.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by txclimber
spokane: I ended up picking up an aisin oil pump locally and putting it on after I had the timing chain cover on.

I can't believe how quickly you got your block back. You're hot on my tail now. I won't even be able to touch mine until tomorrow. If you start a thread post a link here so I can see your progress too. All the fun, none of the grease.
where did you get the aisin pump and how much? i'm still debating about the rock pump, it just doesn't give me too good of a feeling.

i too was surprised about how quick the shop was. they are a full rebuild shop who was already set up for a 22r so i think thats why it was quick.

i've got a thread going here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...linder-229207/

it started off as a trouble shooting thread but that led into a semi-build thread. i've been a little lazy with the camera though. the only thing i really got done over the weekend was installing the crank. if i'm lucky i'll get maybe 2hrs work done on it all this week. i hope to hit it hard this weekend though. my most recent hold up was to do with the wrist pin fit, you should chime in on that.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM

I picked up the oil pump at small local parts store. Surprised that had. About $90. Pretty steep, but I didn't want to wait for shipping. Ebay has them for $60.

If your rock pump looks good I'm sure it is. My old one was a Rock and it was just fine. However, it had only been on there since I put the new head on 28k miles ago. May have gone for another 100k who knows.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 PM

Started putting on some uglier pieces today. Didn't go full blast on the cleaning on these.

Intake manifold:

Distributer:
Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM

Then I got excited and decided to go ahead with the clutch. Got in such a hurry I made a dumb mistake.

I forgot to put that thin plate behind the flywheel.

That's better.

The wrench and the old head bolt are what keeps the flywheel from turning when you're torquing it down. Saw that trick on here somewhere, can't remember where.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Here's what I did about getting the clutch on while hanging.

I hung the engine from the hoist and lowered it down until the oil pan just touched down on a wooden block. The just torque it down. Not too bad, though it did kind of swing around a little.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Since it's already hanging, might as well slide it in.

Well, I wish it was that easy. As a solo job, it was a little tricky. Scratched up a few things and had a nasty time getting the transmission and engine to fit together.

Finally got it in. Bolted it together and put the motor mount bolts in. Rest.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:09 AM

Dang, you're almost done. Nice work!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Started plugging some things in this afternoon. Went fairly smoothly thanks to lots of labels

Then came the wrestle fest. Getting the air chamber and throttle body on.

I'm a rookie at this stuff and I seem to do everything the hardest way possible. Here are some tips for those of you out there like me. These may save you some steps.

Don't put the egr valve/pipe contraption on until after you've put the t-body and air chamber on. It makes things very tight and a real B. I ended up taking it back off before I could get the air chamber to line up with the intake manifold. That big mess of wires doesn't help being in the way either.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Then I went over to the other side and prettied things up a bit with some new shiny parts:

I was feeling pretty good until I tried to put the p/s pump bracket back on and realized I'd done another dumb thing.

Rookie tip 2: Don't put the distributer in until the p/s bracket is on. It's right in the way and I ended up having to remove it to get it on. Camera battery died I'll get picks up tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:13 AM

I'm up and running. Logging in miles. Change oil, re-torque headbolts, reset timing and idle at 500 miles. Crossing fingers, looking for leaks, checking for burning oil

306,120 miles on odometer. I'll check back in at 306,620.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 AM

Good deal !

Quick Reply: Rings, Pistons, Header, A/C too?