Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacing Timing Chain guide through Valve Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd rather ask you this then not, did you cycle your timing components? Turn the crank shaft after every thing is installed to make sure there's no binding? This is an interference engine so one crank with something stuck or wrong and boom. You've got big problems. When I do a timing chain I spin the crank over a few times. Just peace of mind.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The Black Pearl sails again..
to get the pulley to stay while I torqued it, I took off the starter and with the help of some wood blocks I jammed a screwdriver on the flywheel. I got my wrench to click at 116 ft/lb but I have reason to believe that it's on there even tighter. I just feel bad for the sorry bloke who has to take it off again (me). so, thanks again for everyone who chimed in, the job really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. A big shout out to 4crawler's page. If you guys need any of the following parts, hit me up.
• AISIN timing cover which I think is stock, has a very small scratch on the inside from the chain hitting it..again, very small..
• water pump, not sure what type it is, I can look if you like
• passenger side chain guide, plastic but unscathed

Again, Mahaloz!!
Old 05-31-2017, 04:05 PM

bootscoot: I didn't do that but good idea! I'll keep that in mind next time
Old 05-31-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any pics? Would you be able to do a write up?

i really want to try this through the valve cover at some point since i do not want to take apart half the engine anytime soon yet i know my chain will need to be changed soon
Old 06-01-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eurojoe
Any pics? Would you be able to do a write up?
Pulling the head is considered the "right way" to do this job but is more work like you said.

The shortcut version involves:
Bump pulley bolt off.
Drain oil and coolant.
Remove intake tube.
Pulling the radiator makes the job easier/safer.
Pull fan and it's clutch.
Remove crank pulley.
Remove valve cover.
Turn engine to tdc.
Pull cam gear (to access "hidden" timing cover bolt).
Remove all tc bolts and label/take pics/keep everything in correct order (almost ever bolt is different and needs to go where it came from).
Remove water pump, oil pump, spline drive gear.
Really gently pry tc off.
Remove old timing set.
Then put on your new timing set and everything else is the reverse of what you already did.

You run the risk of damaging the front of the headgasket and the timing cover with the shortcut, especially the first time around. There are good write-ups with pics already here on yotatech. If you're having trouble with a YT search run a browser search instead, just add the word "yotatech".

Hope that helps.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlackPearl808
bootscoot: I didn't do that but good idea! I'll keep that in mind next time
I had a friend argue with me about it and when I took a wrench to his crank it stopped after a quarter turn. Crankshaft gear for the timing was on backwards and snapped a tooth. If he had finished and fired it up, it would have been almost worth trashing to me lol. Congratulations though. It's nice having a TC job under your belt. And isn't it so much easier than you thought? I know I feared it until completion
Old 06-03-2017, 10:55 AM

eurojoe: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
This is what I used. I also took the advice of taking the oil pan off (one would need to do this to fish out the old pieces of chain guide anyways) to pull the cover off from the bottom as to do minimal damage to the head gasket. I ended up putting a bit of grey RTV on the up-side of the gasket so it stuck on better.
Also, if you (or a drive spline gear) are stuck, the helpful toyota gangsters here will surely help.

bootscoot: I know what you mean, I took the cover off for the third time just to recheck the crank gear cause I wasn't sure which side faces out because the diagrams on the FSM don't clearly show it. I can't imagine that the little dimple would be on both sides though.

Having the "TC patch" is good so that when you buy your next 22re and open the valve cover and see a broken guide, you can bargain about $800+ off the price!