Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replace or at least relocate Toyota fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 02:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Replace or at least relocate Toyota fuel filter?

Now, I know everyone says Toyota parts are the best, but I doubt people putting $5k+ EFI motors into their hot rods and classics are putting shoddy filters into their fuel systems, and they're not using 80's Toyota filters. I know the Toyota filter is good, but there are good universal filters too. Because my fuel lines near the tank are super corroded, I can't separate the hanger lines from the fuel lines without breaking the hanger and that still leaves me with corroded connectors on the line side. I've already purchased a replacement hanger, but it looks like the newer style with the routing slightly changed. Not a huge deal, I can extend some lines, but while I'm at it I'm thinking I might as well just convert the fittings to 6AN that I already have so I don't need to buy a flare tool and can more easily just replace sections of line. My question is, as long as the fuel filter I'm adding in-line is high quality, can I not just mount one on the frame rail somewhere and be done with the Toyota design? I'd like to chop the lines where the rust stops, and a 5/16 adapter to 6AN seems like the easiest solution. I already moved the stock filter to the fender because I was chasing leaks (damn crush washers), but it's pretty ugly there too and cramps things a lot.

I use OEM parts whenever possible, but the OEM filter shape only really works with their stupid block mount and the less banjo bolt fittings I have before the fuel rail the better, in my opinion. Also had a bear of a time getting the damn thing to seal, I went through several copper washers and a set of aluminum and still had leaks. Eventually I just hit the banjo with my impact for a second and got it way tighter than it has any right to be. Aside from opinions on who makes the best filters or whether it's worth meddling at all, does anyone have any wisdom they can share about switching to a more universal and easy to work on fuel system? Thanks!
Old 12-09-2021, 07:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
For what its worth (I know you weren't necessarily looking for brand suggestions) I recently put in a wix from rockauto. The old hadn't been replaced for a long long time in my 1990. Anyways, I did debate moving the darn thing because it is in a crazy spot, however, after watching a video on how to do it actually was simpler than I had been thinking. Gotta remove passenger side wheel and get some nuts from there and then other from up top going back from the front radiator area with a long extension. I torqued the provided washers as per specs with my torque wrench and biff bam boom - no leaks.
The following users liked this post:
Jimkola (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 07:29 AM
YT Community Team

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts
If you have a clean tank those fuel filters last a very long time. I've seen where owners have mounted the fuel filter on the fender apron, but it requires bending the flex hoses with the banjo fittings in a completely different direction. With brand new hoses that would probably be ok, but on old hoses I'm not so sure.

With the right extensions and some creativity(or youtube videos) it's not that bad to replace the fuel filter when it's mounted on the block. Great time to do when doing a headgasket, though.

Last edited by Jimkola; 12-13-2021 at 07:58 AM.