Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear Bumper Replacement Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2022 | 04:11 PM

Rear Bumper Replacement Ideas

I have a 1990 4Runner and the rear bumper is quite messed up. Backed into something and it dropped quite a bit (where it attaches on the drivers side at back also isn't doing well). Anyways, the back drivers side corner piece (the wrap around) needed to be removed before it fell off. So that looked back enough, however, now have also lost the rubber top piece that goes along the entire top of the bumper (must have fallen off on the highway or something which I wasn't expecting). I gotta do something because this thing looks terrible. Also, the sides of vehicle that are behind those corner wrap arounds are pretty well rusted through (at least the bottom portion of those areas are). I know the proper solution would be to repair/replace those big rear quarter panels, however, that just isn't in the cards right now (and not sure if ever will be). I was trying to find an after market bumper that gave me some wrap around to cover up that mess at the corners, however, everything I seemed to see was so pricey. Looking for something on more of the budget side (that is reasonable) to replace entire back bumper and no, I don't really want to put a 4x4 treated post back there. Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2022 | 05:31 PM

This is an NWTI weld it yourself bumper my welder buddy helped me put together.

I ordered the one that has accommodations for a 2” bodylift and i will say the pieces did not fit together well at all. We had to do quite a bit of modifications to make it fit right.

The kit is a good price and is a good deal if you weld it yourself, otherwise you might as well buy a already built bumper. I had helped my buddy with a job at the coast and he volunteered to weld it for me which was prettt cool. it turned out really good.

Old 10-14-2022 | 05:36 PM

This looks really good. Unfortunately, I am not a welder (would have no idea how to do even if I had a welder) - wish I could because this one looks nice.
Old 10-14-2022 | 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jay4runner
I have a 1990 4Runner and the rear bumper is quite messed up. Backed into something and it dropped quite a bit (where it attaches on the drivers side at back also isn't doing well). Anyways, the back drivers side corner piece (the wrap around) needed to be removed before it fell off. So that looked back enough, however, now have also lost the rubber top piece that goes along the entire top of the bumper (must have fallen off on the highway or something which I wasn't expecting). I gotta do something because this thing looks terrible. Also, the sides of vehicle that are behind those corner wrap arounds are pretty well rusted through (at least the bottom portion of those areas are). I know the proper solution would be to repair/replace those big rear quarter panels, however, that just isn't in the cards right now (and not sure if ever will be). I was trying to find an after market bumper that gave me some wrap around to cover up that mess at the corners, however, everything I seemed to see was so pricey. Looking for something on more of the budget side (that is reasonable) to replace entire back bumper and no, I don't really want to put a 4x4 treated post back there. Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I just don't think your requirements and expectations are aligned. If you want aftermarket Toyota bumpers, you have no choice but to pay the high price. Keep your eye out on craigslist or facebook marketplace for used bumpers... you might stumble across something. But even there, people have gotten savvy and started asking stupid prices for nearly junk items. Otherwise, you can always fall back on that 4x4 treated post.
The following users liked this post:
coopster (10-21-2022)
Old 10-15-2022 | 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by jay4runner
This looks really good. Unfortunately, I am not a welder (would have no idea how to do even if I had a welder) - wish I could because this one looks nice.
honestly man, get a harborfreight welder, and get a gas bottle from a welding store. then after this project you have a new tool to your collection

welding is WAY easier than woodworking. the great thing about welding is that if you ˟˟˟˟ up you can grind the weld off and try again.

you can’t see the wed beads on my bumper because i ground them down to seamless. you can do the same thing with your welds
The following users liked this post:
Robert m (10-15-2022)
Old 10-27-2022 | 05:07 PM

4x4 innovations. Also have a 2 inch body lift