Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear Bumper Build (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those welds look amazing... but I do have one thing to bring up... with the bumper so tight to the body you're not going to have a lot of protection for it in the event of a collision... also the OEM bumper mounts are designed to partially shear in a collision and act as a lever to help "lift" the rear end up on top of the hood of what ever is hitting you to help protect the body and allow you to drive away from most incidents... with the bumper welded to the frame you are increasing the risk of severe frame damage in an accident... just something to think about...
still looks good though... I wish I could weld as well as you.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice i like it where in washington are you
Old 10-11-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
Those welds look amazing... but I do have one thing to bring up... with the bumper so tight to the body you're not going to have a lot of protection for it in the event of a collision... also the OEM bumper mounts are designed to partially shear in a collision and act as a lever to help "lift" the rear end up on top of the hood of what ever is hitting you to help protect the body and allow you to drive away from most incidents... with the bumper welded to the frame you are increasing the risk of severe frame damage in an accident... just something to think about...
still looks good though... I wish I could weld as well as you.
I was going to say the same. Of course it looks good, but what will it provide in an accident?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
accidents?

geez, that bumper's at least what, 3 to 3 1/2 feet off the ground maybe? unless you're hit with an equally tall truck, most cars today are still just going to go right under that thing anyway, lol. I'd be more worried about the axle

sick fab work man! looks amazing!

wish I had some welding skillz... wish I had a welder, lmao
Old 10-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the axle, think of how narrow the tire base is. The problem is the springs.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looking good!

looks really familiar lol.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:42 AM

its done =)

This is by no means a 'legal' bumper. It's to high off the ground and not wide enough (tall) for WA state law. But it does mount in almost the same location as a stock bumper which the law requires

Any average car/truck that rear-ends this rig.. the majority of the impact will be diverted down to the spring hangars and under the bumper, simply because it is so high off the ground. It'll either hit hood or grill, but unlikely to see contact with a frame and or bumper on another vehicle unless its just as high. I'm not to worrired about it personally. I've never had a bumper on this truck, EVER and this thing is strong.

We tested it out last night, drug my truck across the pavement with all 4 brakes locked. Then I drug another toyota across the pavement. =) No flexing whatsoever.

I'm going to be ordering a set of LED bolts for the license plate lights. That light there is temporary of course.

My buddy realized that if you use a tube notcher and cut straight through a piece of tube you get these almost round, oblong cuts. Pound them flat and they work perfect for end caps!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
wow, thats nice man
Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 PM

Thanks dude, I really like it. Now its onto designing a front bumper. Which will be fun! =)
Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet bumper build man, this thing looks great. Great execution of a plan
Old 10-21-2009, 05:08 PM

I really like the bumper, it is simple, functional and look good. I am planning on doing something very similar. Are you going to make any corner/ tail light protection?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by bikerbob
I really like the bumper, it is simple, functional and look good. I am planning on doing something very similar. Are you going to make any corner/ tail light protection?
no im not gonna make any protection for the tail lights. The bed is going to the crap yard down the road. I plan on building my own custom deal exactly how i want it which will be about 100x more functional than the bed is now. With the tool box and the spare i have no room for crap. It's frustrating. I need way more storage now so the custom bed will come sooner than later i think.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Banned

wow man i want one. you should come to my house and fab one up for me.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 PM

I'm gonna copy that on mine.
That is simple, strong, cheap, easy, and it looks good!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bumper looks great. I was waiting for some quarter panel protection. Fit, form and function all look good.

One problem, not that D*bag with his tinker-toy miata or VW will stop his car underneath your truck on a hill.

The bigger my truck gets, the closer they stop to my rear axle.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM

nice simple clean design drew. A+
Old 12-18-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah i really like the simplicity of it, but completely functional, i like tube bumpers but they dont hide anything at all, did friggin awesome on the fab work!! and yeah like everyone els.....wish i had the welding skilz, and a welder lmao
Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude That bumper turned out great . What did you use to bend the tubing with?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by 93yotaSR5
wow man i want one. you should come to my house and fab one up for me.
I actually would really like to start my own custom fabbing on the side, but for now it's only a distant dream till I can get a shop built. (the dream is getting closer ) Theres a lot of great designs that just are more functional, cheaper and IMO look better than anything I've seen on the market. I understand where function overcomes looks but for a lot us we like both =)

Originally Posted by JollyGreen
I'm gonna copy that on mine.
That is simple, strong, cheap, easy, and it looks good!
Cheap is right! This only cost me like $50. I only had to buy the D-rings and the 2x4 tube. The rest was scrap I was able to scrounge up, including the tubing.

Originally Posted by Stuwy123
Bumper looks great. I was waiting for some quarter panel protection. Fit, form and function all look good.

One problem, not that D*bag with his tinker-toy miata or VW will stop his car underneath your truck on a hill.

The bigger my truck gets, the closer they stop to my rear axle.
No Quarter panel protection. I've never even come close to hitting my bed, other than from the bottom ^ up ^. If this were on a 4Runner a hoop in the rear would be beneficial to hopefully save the body which i more "permanent" .. but to save a pickup bed from carnage by running tubes down the side of it is losing efficiency. If you want to do things right, build your own custom bed IMO Which is in the works for the future. ie after this one gets mangled =) or sooner cuz i really do need more storage

Originally Posted by yoterr
yeah i really like the simplicity of it, but completely functional, i like tube bumpers but they dont hide anything at all, did friggin awesome on the fab work!! and yeah like everyone els.....wish i had the welding skilz, and a welder lmao

Thanks =) and I agree im not a big fan of tube, my buddy did a tube wrap around on his bobbed rig. It's ok for him because his rig is a PILE! lol, its fully caged with tube everything front/side/rear etc. So it LOOKS like a wheeler, mine is a bit nicer and doesnt have the body carnage or that "wheeler only" look. Where function is all you care about.

I dont have a welder and am self taught "skilz" for the most part. I just have access to a private shop and a couple welders.

Originally Posted by RMA
Dude That bumper turned out great . What did you use to bend the tubing with?
You know I can't tell you the name of the bender but it was a professional bender and i was told he paid $800 for it with the dye. It was a floor mount style, not on a pedastool and was hydraulic drive, either manual or with pneumatic. It drew the metal up and through it verticaly vs the J benders that do the bending on a pedastool horizontally.

I had access to the bender at the time for a short period from a friend who was barrowing it from a friend heh
Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Banned

my pops just got a welder. im gonna try and gather some scrap metal from my friends ironworks shop, and see about fabbing something of my own up. i just got the motivation!

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Build (Pic Heavy)