Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Problems with motor mount fitment (3rd try!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with motor mount fitment (3rd try!)

Hey everyone,
You all seem to be the smartest bunch on the web as far as yotas are concerned, so I figured I'd bring you this conundrum I have. I had a worn out transmission mount that you guys helped me with previously, and ordered a replacement DEA part online, model number A2410. Attempted to mount it, and the holes were off by about an 1/8 of an inch? Its as if the holes were drilled too low on the flanges, so it couldn't bolt on correctly. I figured they sent me the wrong one, returned it online through amazon, and went to the local oreillys. They ordered me what was supposed to be the correct mount, an Anchor brand one, which as you can see in the pictures has the same problem. Comparing the old one and both of these, the only difference I can see is the location of the holes, with the OEM being drilled closer to the edge, allowing it to sit flushly and fit all the bolts.
So i went back, returned it, and they said they accidentally got me one for an automatic transmission. We looked up the correct part number, and they offered to order it plus shipping, but i decided to consult you guys first. It is BeckArnely 104-0825, but here is the problem. On multiple auto parts websites, this mount comes up as both the manual and automatic variety, but same part number. Upon further research, so does the DEA brand part. This leads me to believe these companies quality control is ˟˟˟˟ and they are drilling holes in the wrong spot, or somehow I am missing something? Anyways... here are some pics. Can anyone please help me out?? Do i just listen to them and order the part and take the chance, or say ˟˟˟˟ it and go all solid mounts, including motor? Getting tired of lifting the trans and taking this thing out just to watch it not fit...

Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 AM

Received 353 Likes on 219 Posts
What model, motor, and trans do you have?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Manual and automatic use the same mount(same OEM part number). So that's not it.

Are you sure it's not backwards? Have you tried rotating it 180°? Like it is in the diagram below...
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 AM

Sorry its a 1992 Toy Pickup, base model. 22re, 5spd manual. I tried both directions, neither works. Comparing the OEM part and the replacements I got, they look idenntical in slope of the flange, but the holes appear to be drilled a little closer to the edge on the OEM mount. If auto and manual trans use the same mount, should i just order the BeckArnely part? This has stumped me, my auto teacher, and everyone else i've consulted. even tried bending the tabs to fit, still wont work... When i rotate it 180 degrees, the fitment is still off, and the bolt holes on the bottom wont line up. Im stumped...

Last edited by shawnphoto; 02-26-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 AM

You could slot the holes. That's probably what I would do...'cuz I'm cheap like that.

Or take your chances on the B/A mount. Since it's about 1/3 the price of an OEM replacement. But you might end up wishing you went with the OEM part on the first try. When all's said and done...
Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 AM

Yeah slotting the holes might be my best option, I was thinking about it but I didn't know whether or not it could cause any problems. Sounds like it might be what ill have to do, and i feel like the B/A mount will give me the same exact problems. Does anyone know the part number for the OEM part?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 AM

Should I just drill em out and run it? I don't get how it doesn't fit with so many different part companies...
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by shawnphoto
Should I just drill em out and run it?
Honestly, that's what I really would do. I can't see it causing any problems.
I don't get how it doesn't fit with so many different part companies...
Beats me.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The aftermarket part in the picture is obviously bigger, marginaly but still bigger. Just grind out the part that is in the way it shouldn't be an issue.

My guess is it used to fit but then they got a different order of the thru bolt and it's rubbing/contacting in the bottom of the V. You can compare the top sides to confirm this. or of course look for contact where I mentioned.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
The aftermarket part in the picture is obviously bigger, marginaly but still bigger. Just grind out the part that is in the way it shouldn't be an issue.

My guess is it used to fit but then they got a different order of the thru bolt and it's rubbing/contacting in the bottom of the V. You can compare the top sides to confirm this. or of course look for contact where I mentioned.
Grind away the part of the trans thats rubbing? I think that it appears bigger because the stock mount is compressed pretty bad, so maybe thats what you see? The slope of the V where it holds the transmission and bolts in apears to be the same, which further confuses me. The only difference i can see is the location of the holes. So grind away the t case where it rubs, or grind away the mount?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MudHippy knows what's up. Drill the holes out and run it. I don't see why you'd have any problems.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:00 PM

Does anyone know the part number for the OEM part?
12371-34030
or
12371-35070

Not sure which.

Enter your VIN here and then search the Mounting section(under ALL SECTIONS or Tool/Engine/Fuel) for PNC 12371. See which one is right.

If you're still interested..
Old 02-26-2013, 12:00 PM

Sounds good, ill drill em out ASAP, just need access to a drill press or a die grinder... thanks for your help everyone!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Grind away the part of the trans thats rubbing? I think that it appears bigger because the stock mount is compressed pretty bad, so maybe thats what you see? The slope of the V where it holds the transmission and bolts in apears to be the same, which further confuses me. The only difference i can see is the location of the holes. So grind away the t case where it rubs, or grind away the mount?
Eek! NO, the mounts enlarge the mounting hole in the bracket.

You have an extra 16th-8th of metal over the stock one judging by the sideby side photos. But without a side view it'd be hard to say if that is really extra length or just a wider opening.

Not sure if it is the angle making the newer center bolt head look taller.

IE I second what was already said about enlarging. Allthough we can't really see how badly it doesn't fit, if you need to grind off more than half of the width might consider another bracket source or checking the opening size some more first. Is it nice and flat against the transmission or does it look like the mouth of the V needs closed some.

P.S. You could probably make due with a half round file I don't expect it's hardened steel or anything fancy just beefy thick.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 02-26-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Eek! NO, the mounts enlarge the mounting hole in the bracket.

You have an extra 16th-8th of metal over the stock one judging by the sideby side photos. But without a side view it'd be hard to say if that is really extra length or just a wider opening.

Not sure if it is the angle making the newer center bolt head look taller.

IE I second what was already said about enlarging. Allthough we can't really see how badly it doesn't fit, if you need to grind off more than half of the width might consider another bracket source or checking the opening size some more first. Is it nice and flat against the transmission or does it look like the mouth of the V needs closed some.

P.S. You could probably make due with a half round file I don't expect it's hardened steel or anything fancy just beefy thick.
The mount fits the trans, but when one side is bolted in, thats how the other looks (first pic). I originally thought there was too much slope or maybe too much metal, but side by side they are just about identical. I tried ratchet strapping the trans down and pushing the mount up by the lower bolt, in order to conform the V to the trans, but this still didn't work. Getting the holes machined longer tomorrow, instead of ordering a new mount. Damn I've never had this much of a problem with replacement parts.