Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Post Your Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe it's just too clean. Everything is the same color under the hood of my truck so it all blends together
Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Comparison Video

So, after a long enough wait...mostly between work and homework here's a quick video of my Magnaflow muffler (before) and my Aero Turbine muffler (After). There was some debating on a couple different threads about how the Aero Turbine might sound on our trucks since apparently nobody had ever heard of the company or didn't know too much about it, or didn't want to try it out, or whatever the case may be. So, as far as I know, I'm the first to try one of these mufflers on my rig. There are a few before and after photos down below, ending with a quick video for sound comparison between the two.

My Dyno'd HP was 100 and Torque at 139 with the magnaflow (still have to do an after dyno with the now current Aero) and my mileage was 16.4mpg @ 60mph highway WITH the VMAf mod at 2 clicks lean. After swapping out the mufflers, increasing my highway speed to 65mph I'm now getting 20.6mpg with no other changes to the truck. That's just over a 20% increase in mileage for $150 worth of muffler and an ROI of about 3 months with the current gas prices.

Anyways without further a du...
The Magnaflow muffler:
Well, I can't find one of it on my truck...TONS of photos to go through, but the part number is listed in the video.
The Aero Turbine:
Name:  62ff8a14.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  111.0 KB
Part number for the Aero Turbine is #2525 and also listed in the video.
The Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ga-b5LOYG0
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW! Only getting 100hp and 139tq out of a 150 hp, 180tq motor? Maaan...talk about power losses!

Sounds SWEEEEEET though man. DANG! I like both. The Aero is a little louder though, eh?

Also, for whatever reason, whenever I see pictures of your truck, it always looks like its levitating (to me)... I think its the red sliders...
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
WOW! Only getting 100hp and 139tq out of a 150 hp, 180tq motor? Maaan...talk about power losses!

Sounds SWEEEEEET though man. DANG! I like both. The Aero is a little louder though, eh?

Also, for whatever reason, whenever I see pictures of your truck, it always looks like its levitating (to me)... I think its the red sliders...
Yea no kidding on the power, It is a rebuild though, but still...the power sucks. Anyways, yea the Aero is louder on idle and only a little quieter between 2k and 3k rpm. But at highway speeds with the windows up, I can hear myself think. Couldn't do that before with the Mag, cause there was a deep droning sound. With the windows down however, I can hear my tires whining going down the freeway, so over all it's quieter.

I guess I like both mufflers, but I'm after as much efficency (whatever I can get, yea I know the 3.0 sucks but I like it) as I can get for as cheap as I can get it.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by T.O'Brien
So, after a long enough wait...mostly between work and homework here's a quick video of my Magnaflow muffler (before) and my Aero Turbine muffler (After). There was some debating on a couple different threads about how the Aero Turbine might sound on our trucks since apparently nobody had ever heard of the company or didn't know too much about it, or didn't want to try it out, or whatever the case may be. So, as far as I know, I'm the first to try one of these mufflers on my rig. There are a few before and after photos down below, ending with a quick video for sound comparison between the two.

My Dyno'd HP was 100 and Torque at 139 with the magnaflow (still have to do an after dyno with the now current Aero) and my mileage was 16.4mpg @ 60mph highway WITH the VMAf mod at 2 clicks lean. After swapping out the mufflers, increasing my highway speed to 65mph I'm now getting 20.6mpg with no other changes to the truck. That's just over a 20% increase in mileage for $150 worth of muffler and an ROI of about 3 months with the current gas prices.

Anyways without further a du...
The Magnaflow muffler:
Well, I can't find one of it on my truck...TONS of photos to go through, but the part number is listed in the video.
The Aero Turbine:

Part number for the Aero Turbine is #2525 and also listed in the video.
The Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ga-b5LOYG0
That's nice looking muffler. Sounds nice too!

I'm going to eventually get my cat-back exhaust done, but don't want a muffler that's too loud . I mean, I want a muffler that will give me a little sound, but NOT on the INSIDE of my truck. It sounds like this might be my muffler choice...BTW, would you mind telling us how much you got it for?

About the tires, I have the same exact ones, but I NEVER hear them howl on the highway (and I have the stock exhaust too).
Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM

Shoua,

Their not LOUD loud, I can hear a little whining sound above the wind, but it's not bad at all. I'm running about 36psi in the tires, maybe I should run less? lol
Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 PM

Shoua,

Their not LOUD loud, I can hear a little whining sound above the wind, but it's not bad at all. I'm running about 36psi in the tires, maybe I should run less? lol
Hmmm...I run 32 psi in my tires. That's about what I run average on this size tire.

When I had 32 inch MTR's on my old '91 pickup, I used to only run 25 psi in the streets. But then again, I had those stiff Downey torsion bars on my truck.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 PM

Oh, my bad...

The muffler cost me $125.25 without shipping or tax, I think I paid just under $200 with getting new pipe bent as well. And yea, it's pretty quiet in the cab, just took a 2 hr drive last night hoping my CEL fix actually worked (Code 71) and yea the light hasn't come back on. My lady liked it too, but she said the droning of the Mag in the cab put her to sleep quicker lol. I prefer the Aero cause its quieter and gave me a lot better mileage too. The throttle felt lighter and more responsive overall in the rev's and while shifting.

One thing I might add, this muffler is designed to be mounted a specific way (inlet and outlet with the exhaust flow) and not universal like the Magnaflow. Also, there's no packing inside the muffler. If you're looking for something quieter, they make a 2525XL that has a built in resonator that quiets things down a bit more than what you hear in my video.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:44 PM

Oh, my bad...

The muffler cost me $125.25 without shipping or tax, I think I paid just under $200 with getting new pipe bent as well. And yea, it's pretty quiet in the cab, just took a 2 hr drive last night hoping my CEL fix actually worked (Code 71) and yea the light hasn't come back on. My lady liked it too, but she said the droning of the Mag in the cab put her to sleep quicker lol. I prefer the Aero cause its quieter and gave me a lot better mileage too. The throttle felt lighter and more responsive overall in the rev's and while shifting.

One thing I might add, this muffler is designed to be mounted a specific way (inlet and outlet with the exhaust flow) and not universal like the Magnaflow. Also, there's no packing inside the muffler. If you're looking for something quieter, they make a 2525XL that has a built in resonator that quiets things down a bit more than what you hear in my video.
Thanks for answering that!

That's a pretty good price for that muffler. I was expecting, like, $200 or something for all that shine. That will definitely be a top-of-my-list option for mufflers.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shoua
Thanks for answering that!
Sure thing, got any questions down the road shoot me a PM if ya want. that way the picture gods don't get upset lol
Old 05-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Sure thing, got any questions down the road shoot me a PM if ya want. that way the picture gods don't get upset lol
"Picture gods"???

Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 PM

yea, wtvr haha !

I've seen that muffler on eBay for $95 every couple of weeks the same guy posts one up for grabs for i think 5 days, then I cant find him again for another week or two. timing was off so I bought it elsewhere (eBay still).

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 PM

been down the beach lately, the western side of australia, fantastic weather right now

Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 AM

Just finished my custom tube fenders, it'll look even better when the bumper gets fabbed up:
Name:  S7300670.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  133.0 KB
Old 05-27-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
moze: owe mie gawd!!! that looks awesome!!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jaronimo
been down the beach lately, the western side of australia, fantastic weather right now

Looks good. Id love to visit Australia one day
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by awg1979

im diggin the green throttle body!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mojave_Moze
Just finished my custom tube fenders, it'll look even better when the bumper gets fabbed up:
now cover them with some bright yellow sheet metal lol
Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mojave_Moze
Looks so sick!!!

First thing that came to my head when I saw your pic, was..."The Terminator."
Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 AM

this is my 90 toyota 4runner. with my own made tube bumper and skid plate

Quick Reply: Post Your Pics!!!