Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Post Your Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sonds pretty good. I ran our 85 with nothin but header and it was LOUD!! Too loud. Im not sure bout how to gettin the belts to stop squealin.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hillbilly, I'm sure you've tried adjusting them in and out, the belts that is, right? They LOOK to be right on tension wise. To be honest, when I had that noise, it was DEFINITELY similar anyway, when my steering pump(#2, hahaha) was REALLY loud on the bearing noise. Also, my idler, when that was about to go, couple years ago, gradually got my belts louder and louder, until I replaced the bearing on it. OH< yes, but I didn't replace the idler pulley for that belt until said belt EXPLODED! lol. It still turned by hand, but when I put a stethoscope to the housing of it, behind there, ....DANG IT WAS CLEARLY the bearing in there.

Just a thought to rule it out. Napa has them, replacement bearings. I think Toyota makes you buy the whole pulley.

Some still use this certain bar soap to this day, to quiet up the belts, ....not sure which one or if it's a good/bad idea. I'd guess bad, but who knows? lol.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
do you guys have any ideas to make my belts quieter?
You're really lucky, my belts are noiser than your's by a lot. I think I just need to change them out, might do that when I get my power steering stuff in. The exhaust sounds OK, if you have a header on the truck already, then get a 2.5"-2.75" piping from the header flange back and a free-flowing muffler. Last thing you want is it to sound like a rice burner that can't make it over any sort of speed bump.

P.S.
I've obsessed over dB levels in car/truck stereos, exhaust/engine sounds, and have been researching different ways to "sound proof" the truck for the last few years, I've learned a lot PM me I might be able to help.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hillbilly, I'm sure you've tried adjusting them in and out, the belts that is, right? They LOOK to be right on tension wise. To be honest, when I had that noise, it was DEFINITELY similar anyway, when my steering pump(#2, hahaha) was REALLY loud on the bearing noise. Also, my idler, when that was about to go, couple years ago, gradually got my belts louder and louder, until I replaced the bearing on it. OH< yes, but I didn't replace the idler pulley for that belt until said belt EXPLODED! lol. It still turned by hand, but when I put a stethoscope to the housing of it, behind there, ....DANG IT WAS CLEARLY the bearing in there.

Just a thought to rule it out. Napa has them, replacement bearings. I think Toyota makes you buy the whole pulley.

Some still use this certain bar soap to this day, to quiet up the belts, ....not sure which one or if it's a good/bad idea. I'd guess bad, but who knows? lol.
oh great haha here i thought it was just a belt thing. i did try adjusting them in and out and nothing, and when i spray some wd 40 on it it goes away for about 2 minutes, then comes right back.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Hey, I might need your newly found PS expertise soon as my PS pump and steering box come in. I'm expecting it to arrive sometime next week, and wanna do the swap and/or rebuild of all the seals in the nee couple of weeks.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by T.O'Brien
You're really lucky, my belts are noiser than your's by a lot. I think I just need to change them out, might do that when I get my power steering stuff in. The exhaust sounds OK, if you have a header on the truck already, then get a 2.5"-2.75" piping from the header flange back and a free-flowing muffler. Last thing you want is it to sound like a rice burner that can't make it over any sort of speed bump.

P.S.
I've obsessed over dB levels in car/truck stereos, exhaust/engine sounds, and have been researching different ways to "sound proof" the truck for the last few years, I've learned a lot PM me I might be able to help.
yea, both my belts are brand new. it used to do it, but it didnt used to be this annoying haha. i think i will probably just put my flowmaster back on. i love the throaty sound, and besides i can hear my music. when its straight piped it exits right under the cab haha.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Could just be belt dressing you need, for now, lol. Like Outsane said, in the other thread. However, I was just MENTIONING to rule it out, HB! Not suggesting it's an issue, buddy!

Could just be a lot of issues due to driving so much on the icy roads, etc? Salt? Drying them out? Not sure, but it sounded a lot alike mine, so I'd thought I'd suggest just to rule that out, bud, ...have a good'n, back to work!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 PM

Hillbilly:

nice...yea that's a little annoying when you cant hear yourself think, or you have to yell at your passenger. hahaha
Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Could just be belt dressing you need, for now, lol. Like Outsane said, in the other thread. However, I was just MENTIONING to rule it out, HB! Not suggesting it's an issue, buddy!

Could just be a lot of issues due to driving so much on the icy roads, etc? Salt? Drying them out? Not sure, but it sounded a lot alike mine, so I'd thought I'd suggest just to rule that out, bud, ...have a good'n, back to work!
thanks chef, i will definitely be looking into it. things just keep breaking on this thing haha

Originally Posted by T.O'Brien
Hillbilly:

nice...yea that's a little annoying when you cant hear yourself think, or you have to yell at your passenger. hahaha
oh i know, i like hearing my music and my exhaust, which is just about right with the flowmaster on there haha
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM

So, after this little belt squeaking issue, I went over to PepBoys and bought one of these:
Name:  3eef5c1a.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  94.1 KB
And a couple of little squirts like 1-3 seconds each, no more squeaking!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 PM

Yeah PB blaster works just as well. fixed mine!
and looked like your cat was still on?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM

well, ill have to go get some of that stuff! yea, just popped the muffler off to see what it would sound like. and, without the cat, the backfires are EXTREMELY loud haha. but i will probably be putting the flowmaster back on anyway
Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Yeah i just cut out the cat and welded on a piece of pipe, but still have a flowie!
backfires are minimal. lol
Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM

yea what i will probably doing is bolting a test pipe where the cat is because i only have to smog once. make it sound a little better
Old 03-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^ no cut it back and run it out infront of the back tire like mine
Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 PM

mine has no cat and a dual out flowmaster. coasting at or above 2k its sounds really good but under that it pops alot
Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wheelindealin
mine has no cat and a dual out flowmaster. coasting at or above 2k its sounds really good but under that it pops alot
any vids of how it sounds?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1981 yota
any vids of how it sounds?
I actually tried not long ago but it sounded weird on my phone vid idk ha. but when i get one ill post it

- mines the 3.0 slow tho

Last edited by Wheelindealin; 03-03-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM

sweet. im wanting a flowmaster for mine but want to hear some first
Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1981 yota
sweet. im wanting a flowmaster for mine but want to hear some first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INCEbhu2t54

Quick Reply: Post Your Pics!!!