Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Post Your Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
a pic of the truck would help.
Ditto, give us a pic! Personally I thing the black on black that I have on my truck looks pretty good, but a pic of yours and the type of tire you want to run will help out with the decision making. I like the black wheels cause you don't have to clean them as often and you can't see the brake dust as badly.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by T.O'Brien
Ditto, give us a pic! Personally I thing the black on black that I have on my truck looks pretty good, but a pic of yours and the type of tire you want to run will help out with the decision making. I like the black wheels cause you don't have to clean them as often and you can't see the brake dust as badly.
agreed. black on black looks sick on some trucks. i hated it on mine when my truck used to be black, but thats because everything was black. Definitely looks sick on T.O's rig
Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 PM

Thx hillbilly !

Things like the condition of your paint, gloss or flat, and the color will yield different results with the wheel/rim style, color, and gloss (chrome/polished), or flat. Here's a pic of my wheels. Their KMC 122's:
Name:  IMG_0564.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  69.1 KB
A pic of what came with the truck:
Name:  IMG_0923.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  129.2 KB
And how it sat with the new wheels:
Name:  IMG_0934.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  117.8 KB

Obviously, I no longer have the shell, and have made some sliders and a bed cage that will soon be covered up...I'm making a custom shell for the truck and going to make more use of my OBA with opening and closing the shell once I get that project completed.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Bis

sorry guys. heres a pic of the truck...

im planning on running 285/75/16 bfg km2s
Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Oh, yea I remember your truck now!! very clean btw. Do you plan on tinting the windows? I think choice number 3 would look the best on your truck with those tires because they have a beefy sidewall and lug pattern. It would look even better if you do tint the windows also, doesn't have to be anything really dark, but the contrast between the white truck, obvious black tires and a little tint can go a long way with choice #3 wheels, especially if you plan on changing out those chrome bumpers for something else down the road, then you'd be set.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by T.O'Brien
No, no misfiring at all. Since Toyota designed the 3.0 to run on the rich side (possibly the 22re as well) the unburned fuel leaving the cylinder is igniting while in the exhaust manifold before it gets to the cat and it creates a burbling sound under 1,750 RPM on the 3.0. you have to play with the throttle as you drive at or below that RPM to get the sound. Everybody'd heard of an engine backfiring, but this is more of an afterfire, and is not detrimental to a stock engine like a backfire is because you're not trying to force burning gasses where their not supposed to go. You can hear these noises and different ones depending on how you design your exhaust and what you want to achieve out of it. The richer the engine runs the more burbling you'll hear, the leaner...you get the idea. When/if I port or open up my induction side of the engine, this will effectively lean out the mixture due to more air and there will be a little less burble and a little more performance.
My 87 22re w/ FULL exhaust would pop like a NASCAR when I got off the gas(I wont lie...I thought it was bad to the bone in highschool). I was told the same thing about unburned fuel. Never had it adjusted and she blew up months later.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM

SC,

Bummer, sorry to hear that. Mine doesn't always do that sound, nor does it do that every time I let off the gas. I have found the happy medium where the ECU is putting more fuel into the cylinders at a certain RPM and I can just play with the throttle a little to make it happen, but it doesn't happen when driving normally.
Anytime you open up the exhaust though, you can create an environment where you can possibly get that burbling sound. It also depends on the muffling capabilities of your muffler(s) because, reflecting on my Aircraft and Powerplant classes a few years back where we had to rebuild internal combustion engines (along with turbine) you always have unburned fuel and part of that fuel always igniting outside of a cylinder. If you had short headders, really short ones, or no headers at all, and you ran your engine you'd see the flames from each cylinder continue to burn for a very short time as they are leaving the cylinder and traveling down the exhaust. It's just the nature of the beast, and I wanted to exploit the sound because I really liked it

Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmmm, I had very little even with my 257K stock/tired motor..... and even now, with OS Valves, 261 CAM, LCE Header with 2.25" to the back, high flow Magnaflow CAT and LCE Cold Air Intake, ... I can come down the steep hill behind my house at 50 in 3rd, letting it coast and have NO pop, at all.

I fully understand EFI combustion, but honestly, I've not heard many of these cackling much, at least on the 22re, ......and even less on the 3.0, actually. Definitely wouldn't have suggested a misfire, ..... but thought maybe a lil afterburn or misfire, sure. Maybe I'll listen to a bunch of youtube 3.0'age! lol.

You know your rig, I'm sure, homie! hahaha. And, ....a very sweet rig it is, indeed! Just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion, hahaha.

Have a good'n, T!

Mark
Old 02-15-2011, 11:18 PM

Chief,

I'm approaching the 270K mark on the chassis, and I'm thinking it's time to replace the coil, get come slightly better plug wires, and spark plugs, and make a few other things a little newer or slight upgrades, as I do not really want to compromise the durability of the motor too much. I like my 3.slo, keeps me out of traffic school, but I'm looking to pep it up a little bit. Been reading this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...rebuild-35794/ and i'm about half way down the page...good stuff.

You do bring up a good point and it's getting me thinking, I like the sound, but maybe it will do it less when I freshen up the ignition system. It will probably do it less when I make the exhaust a little longer and add another muffler. But that's going to have to wait till I get headers and so on.

Thx for the input, have a good one yourself.

Tom
Old 02-16-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by sc87yota
It's an ARB. I have had it for ten years! Only thing is........no winch There have been plenty of times when this could have saved me.
I hear that. Dang those things are expensive!! Oh well the search continues
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bis
looking good guys! just got an email saying my atx mojaves are on back order and i may not receive them til late april, so i went ahead and canceled the order. need your opinion on these three wheels... really undecided...

thanks!

also, my lift mods came in today! woot!
Bis, I think I would need to know the color of the truck, does it have a chrome package and then I could give you more of an honest and accurate answer of my opinion. Just looking at them, I like #3, mainly because,....I like the Outlaw 2 styles that Eagle does better than the ones like 1 and 2.

It's your rig, man...which ones do you think YOU will like best, driving down the road? Doesn't really matter what anyone thinks if you don't like them, right? haha. On my 87 Runner? DEFinitely #3 for me.......unless my rig had tons of black, then I might go black, but still the #3 style holes...(Just a lil tired on the black rims and black trim...but it DOES look good! lol. Personally, I like the chrome bumpers, SR5 trim and wheels.......but that's why I like the outlaw 2's, ...they're not polished aluminum, they're brushed....lil less pretentious to me.)

Ok, sorry, now I'm really just TOO into this....guess I don't want to face my own issues with MY rig! HAHAHAHAH! Thanks for the distraction, Bis!

Mark
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bis
sorry guys. heres a pic of the truck...

im planning on running 285/75/16 bfg km2s
heres his truck chef. personally, i think a white truck with black rims looks sick. id go with #1
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
ive always been a fan of the white and black combo but if you dont go black id go with 3.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 AM

T.O, Chef-
I did not have a named brand cat. It was a cheap knock off and I think it acted more as a "straight pipe". Maybe this had something to do with the poping. I dont think thats what killed my rig(cheap gaskets did!) but it probably wasn't tuned correctly and may contributed to the death of the 22re. If I have learned anything after owning SO many vehicles is that "you get what you pay for" in most cases and be wise about what parts youR purchasing, even if they are cheap. I hate to say it but I guess it was a long learning curve for me, DO YOUR RESEARCH!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by medic1_1990
Just got my first yota pickup today... 1990 SR5 4x4. It's got a lot of miles, but I think it still has a lot of potential. The paint on the hood and roof are oxidized, that is the only major flaw on the exterior. Oh, and are those the stock rims? I'm not really liking them.
So question, I just got the truck three days ago with I am assuming stock rims and 31's, there seems to be a little rub at full turn, aren't 31's a common option at stock?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by medic1_1990
So question, I just got the truck three days ago with I am assuming stock rims and 31's, there seems to be a little rub at full turn, aren't 31's a common option at stock?
you shouldnt have a problem with 31's. does it pop really loud acouple times at full turn?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Bis

lol thanks for the input guys! i originally went in to order #1 (black wheels), but saw #3 (brushed polished) and ordered those. Got home and started debating whether I made the right decision or not. lol I loved my old wheels but didn't want the b-locks, so i started thinking about #2.

then i thought, maybe #3 was the right choice because I will be ordering black arb front and rear bumpers, black sliders, and black fenders soon, and wraping the mirrors and door handles black. #3 would flow a lot better. #2 would just be too shiny, because it has the "super finish".

then i woke up this morning and called the shop and had them order me #1 because I don't see a lot of black on white around town, and it gives it a neat contrast. it was also my first choice.

anyhow, you guys think the 3.625 backspacing will stick out too much on 285/75/16 km2s? i gave my old ae 102s to my uncle and he mounted 285/75/16 mt mtz on them. The tires stick out about 1"+ from the fender flares.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 AM

Personally, I love the look of late model factory rims on older rigs! What tires?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 AM

the black ones all day long, ya and number 3 if not black, i like the way the holes are cut

Originally Posted by Bis
looking good guys! just got an email saying my atx mojaves are on back order and i may not receive them til late april, so i went ahead and canceled the order. need your opinion on these three wheels... really undecided...

thanks!

also, my lift mods came in today! woot!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
heres his truck chef. personally, i think a white truck with black rims looks sick. id go with #1
Thanks, HBilly-indaplacetobe! lol.

Yeah, I think the rims on it look pretty nice, to be honest. Black would look cool, too,SURE......and I"M NOT knocking that look(black rims, etc.)...it's just very common now adays. As I said, everyone has their own thoughts on what looks best on "THEIR" rig, am I right? hahaha. But I promise,...NOT dissing the Black rims, ....just love white rigs with that body with either stock 4 post alloy, like on my truck, 31's or so, ....just looks sweet, TO ME, hahaha. However, if I had that truck and had to choose aftermarket, it would be Outlaw 2's, ...I know they're dated, but I just think they bring out the best in the looks of these older rigs....simple brushed alloy 14hole pattern with the centerline dots.

Quick Reply: Post Your Pics!!!