Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Please Help Diagnose: 87 4Runner Tranny sounds *violent* now

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnhrdgr2
Did you find a used one yet? I found someone on CL with two used W56s, each with the t-case still attached. I will send you an email with the info.

According to his 'word' they were both pulled out from his two parts truck 4Runners with 180K miles. He wants $500 for either one. I told him that I already sourced a used tranny from a shop that actually opened the tranny to inspect it. That is for $500. I am waiting on him to respond to my email to see what he goes down to.

Thanks Gulliver - got your email as well.

No I have not found one but have been looking/posting here, Craigslist and Pirate.

I'm with Chef....I've seen them for sale for $200-350, if they are just "pulled" from a truck (no warranty, no rebuild). I think I'm going to try this job myself - need to get my Datsun dash done so I can get the truck in the garage.....and I need to find a tranny. My truck is parked in Santa Clara at work still, since I'm not sure where I'll source the tranny from yet - and I work less than a mile from the Toy Connection, if I end up using them (ripoff!).

Your ad doesn't say two, but your email did....does he really have two, and asking $500 each or for the pair?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The guy's ad only mentioned one, but when I talked to him last night, he said he had two. I was busy signing my boy up for t-ball when he called so I didnt talk to him about his price being too high.

I did however send him an email last night telling him that the $500 was too much and that a shop here in San Jose has a used one inspected with warranty for $500, but he has not responded to it yet. I am guessing he is not willing to go down lower.

I havent see any other transmission for sale in CL the last month. At this point, Toy Connection is the best place I've find so far...$500 for a used and inspected tranny with 6 month 6K warranty.

Last edited by mtnhrdgr2; 10-19-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM

yeah that seems pretty steep for a private party sale.

Let me know if you hear from him on lowering the price...maybe mention you have a line on a second guy who wants one and we could jointly take them off his hands for a lower overall price?

Think it's worth me calling him/emailing him too, or are you worried that may mes up your current conversation with the guy? I'd hate to kill your chances, so let me know?

And, Santa Rosa is pretty far....maybe if we work out a deal for two I could talk you into carting them both down here for a case of beer or something (since my truck is closer to death than yours it seems)

Phil
Old 10-19-2011, 11:37 AM

No worries about you talking to him too. Maybe with you and I talking to him separately, we can get him down to $400, 500 or $600 for both .

If we can work out that deal, I have no issues picking up both. If only one turns out to be good, go ahead and take it as your tranny is worse than mine at this point.

I will send him another email and tell him that I know someone that might want that second tranny and see what he says.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I would think a 'joint venture' would yield a better deal. Just my business background talking, I suppose. lol. He might not care, and might be willing to wait until they both sell, separately. I would betcha it will take MANY weeks/months at that price. That's just WAY too high, on average.

Still think "I have a buddy who wants one, too.... Sell em both for 750?" would work better than if he thinks 2 separate guys are inquiring/wanting them. The latter would make me think I've got a good price up if I were him.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 AM

$750?

Let's try $600 for the pair first

Sounds like you're already emailing him Gulliver so I'll stand aside for now. If I inquire now as an "individual", it may give him hope that he can stick to his higher price for *each*, if you're proposing to him a cheaper, bundle deal - see what I mean?

Maybe I'm approaching it wrong, so let me know if you want me to email/call him separately, and if so, what angle will help your bundle deal approach.

And, thanks for the offer to pick up -that means a lot!

Phil
Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM

Yeah, 600$, etc., ... you know what I meant, hehee.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 PM

The seller called me back. 1 tranny is 180K and the other he thinks is less than 180K, but could not/would not give me a mileage number. He balked at my $600 offer. Both tranny and t-cases if bought at same time will be $900. He said that is his lowest price.

I also asked about just getting the tranny and not the t-case. At this time, he does not want to separate them.

Phil, maybe you'll have better luck. At this point, I think I'll wait for another one.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 PM

Bummer! I will wait too....
Old 10-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Other than cracking open the tranny, is there anything that can be done to inspect a used tranny? Other than cracks and such, is there anything visual to look for?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:10 PM

Other than cracking open the tranny, is there anything that can be done to inspect a used tranny? Other than cracks and such, is there anything visual to look for?

One of the guys on Pirate that I emailed got back to me and I asked him the same question - he said:

"Kinda a crap shoot. See how many miles on on the tranny, lower is better. Is it rebuilt? You can tell if the cases have been pulled apart if it has RTV on the seal surfaces. Check that the bearings are ok when you rotate by hand, and shift into each gear, and reverse as you rotate. Everything should be smooth. no grinding or weird vibes. Of course, all may pass that test but you may have bad bearings and gears that only show up after you install it."

I've been trolling youtube to listen to others and think (hope) it may be a throwout bearing/clutch issue, but since I had zero noise in 4th gear (before it got worse), I may be hoping against logic.....

Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Ok. So on a properly working tranny, a person can manually turn the input shaft by hand without needing a plier or vice grip. Good to know. How can one shift gears if the shifter is not connected? I would think that if the tranny is not connected to the truck that the shifters would be off.

Phil, if u feel that I am hijacking your thread, let me know, and I will stop asking questions.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:18 PM

You're not hijacking at all - I'm learning as much as you are - fire away!!

I think, because there is no friction between the tranny/clutch/flywheel, you can shift/rotate the shaft freely. I'm sure you can shift as if you were in the truck in neutral. A lot of the trannys i've seen for sale have the sticks still installed, but if not, good question

Drove it home from work today, 30 miles. Wow, it's progressing to a more scary state every time I drive it. I'm keeping it at home until I can clear out my garage, get it in there, and take the tranny off.

Fourth is gone - can't even shift into it. 1,2,3,5 are good, though it was hard to get into third while upshifting a few times today - felt "sticky". when letting off the gas in 1 and 2, I can FEEL a fluttering vibration (like gears grinding) in my clutch pedal as I slow down (this is just with my left foot gently resting atop the pedal with no pressure, and I can hear the loud "purr" of gears "interacting with each other").

And, in all forward gears, that meshy whine is still there under load.

I'm curious to see what's inside....bad throwout bearing, metal shavings, input shaft bearing toast, who knows.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Sorry bout the 'scary' stuff.... Really sux! I know, you'll get to the bottom of it/fix it,....but you'd thought you had, and I just wanted to throw in there... (not a pity party, lol)>>> I FEEL FOR YA! You know I do, after all the 'things' that went wrong with someone SUPPOSEDLY 'rebuilt' on my end, right? lol.

Have a good one, Phil, looking forward to seeing this resolved! FOR ME TOO! LOL.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 PM

Thanks Chef!

Priority one it making it pass smog - shop where i failed is less than a mile away so I think I can do that safely....

Will update as I make progress.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 PM

Well, mtnhrdgr2 (Gulliver) and I went to check out two W56's today in San Jose. One sounded great when turning the shafts in all gears, the other made a faint but audible "dragging" noise. I ended up buying the one that sounded great, and Gulliver passed on the other :/ Any of you guys have any input on what could cause the "dragging" noise in the other tranny? It had oiol in it and was stored vertically, just like the one I picked up. No grinding, and the resistance was fine....just a faint dragging noise you could hear from the shifter openings when the shafts were turned.

If anyone has a lead on a good W56 in the SF bay area for Gulliver, let us know!!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 AM

I'm no trans expert, Phil...... OH, no, that's all, just wanted to share that! hahahaha. JK, ... Actually, I was going to say, "BUT", that sounds like bearings to me. Is the 'dragging' sounding like the noise an idler pulley makes when you turn it slowly?(not spin it, that's obviously different).... Like a couple bearings are NOT rollin? lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-28-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:31 AM

PS> CONGRATZ, Philbert!

Sorry Gulliver.... Best wishes, man!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 AM

As far as the noise, the description of "dragging" noise is better than saying a whine or grinding. Chef's description of the idler pulley is pretty close.

Although both trannsmissions were a good price and maybe could have gotten a little better price if we had bought both at the same time, neither one of us was comfortable with buying the 'noisy' one.

It made more sense for Phil to get the tranny as mine (hopefully) can last another several months to a year.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:08 AM

As far as the noise, the description of "dragging" noise is better than saying a whine or grinding. Chef's description of the idler pulley is pretty close.

Although both trannsmissions were a good price and maybe could have gotten a little better price if we had bought both at the same time, neither one of us was comfortable with buying the 'noisy' one.

It made more sense for Phil to get the tranny as mine (hopefully) can last another several months to a year.
Gotcha.... Well, you'll find a good one, MTN! Just keep vigilantly hunting upon CL, Pirate and Yotatech..... One will turn up sooner or later. (HOPEFULLY, as you put it, in time! lol).

If you get to L.A. at all, hit me up and I could most likely find you one within a day of advance notice, ya know?

Again, best wishes