Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Please give 2nd opinion on fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:17 AM
CWC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please give 2nd opinion on fuel leak

Help! A few weeks ago I started noticing a strong fuel smell from my 94 Toyota pickup SR5 4x4 with 3VZ-E engine, 180,000 miles. I looked around under the hood and can't see a leak. The smell is not there while I'm driving, but as soon as I turn the engine off I start smelling it, both inside the truck and standing outside. It also takes longer than usual for it to start if it's been sitting for several hours. Once it starts it seems to run fine. No CEL.

I took it to a shop and told them all of the symptoms. They said they could not find any visible leaking, so they performed a leak down test. The results they gave me said "testing shows it has pressure and flow. Fuel pressure continues to leak down with inlet and return hoses pinched off, indicating leaking injectors." They told me that the next step was to replace all 6 injectors, for $1,946!

I have no intention of paying that much to have them replace the injectors. I'll replace them myself, probably with cheaper remanufactured ones, if that's what is needed. However, I was wanting a second opinion from the knowledgable folks on this board. Does the leak down test confirm that the leak is at one of the injectors? Would it mean that the fuel is leaking around the injector o-ring, or leaking through the injector and into the intake? Is there a cheaper and easier first step I should take before I start replacing injectors?

Thanks for any input!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
You should check for a leak at the fuel pressure damper, at the aft end of the passenger side fuel rail. I suggest getting a brown paper towel; as soon as you stop reach in there and see if it's "wet." (Fuel is so clear that I can't see it on a white paper towel. You gotta be quick; fuel evaporates in a hurry.)

If the FPD is leaking, it will take the residual pressure out of the rail. Since the fuel pump doesn't start until you turn the key, it will take a short while to re-pressurize the rail, and that could cause your long crank.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...octite-266710/

It's not likely to be leaking injectors; you'd have a huge cloud of black smoke on start up, if you could get it to start. Injectors go for about $150 each, so $1946 is high but not outrageous. But if it isn't the problem, it's about $1,946 too high.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 AM

my damper bit the dust a year ago. strong odor from the engine compartment but no visible leaks. like scope said, its on the rear of the passenger fuel rail. it has a tan colored (or stained) cap on the end. i just stuck my finger down there and it came up wet with fuel. it is repairable, but i found a replacement at advance auto for $50 and slapped it on. think i had to pull the plenum, but don't remember.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by oldblue
... it is repairable, but i found a replacement at advance auto for $50 and slapped it on. think i had to pull the plenum, but don't remember.
I don't think it could be repairable. On mine, the flexible diaphragm crimped inside had torn.

In theory, you might be able to get it out without removing the plenum, but how you could get any kind of wrench in there is beyond me. I had to remove both the plenum and the aft cross-over fuel pipe (between the rails) in order to get a wrench on the plenum. Which means you need two crush washers for the FPD, and four for the two ends of the fuel pipe.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 PM

It's your fuel pressure damper. What you describe is exactly what I went through two weeks ago. If you can get a light and a mirror behind the intake you can see it pouring from there, at least I could. It's pretty much dead center all the way back an a little under the intake plenum. A small dome shape. I had to take it all off and it took me two days to do the job with the wrong tools and a wait on parts. Don't forget the intake gasket you'll need. And don't break the egr like I did. Watch out for the little plastic hose nipples behind the fpd also. I broke one. That'll fix her.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
I don't think it could be repairable. On mine, the flexible diaphragm crimped inside had torn.

In theory, you might be able to get it out without removing the plenum, but how you could get any kind of wrench in there is beyond me. I had to remove both the plenum and the aft cross-over fuel pipe (between the rails) in order to get a wrench on the plenum. Which means you need two crush washers for the FPD, and four for the two ends of the fuel pipe.
I think with the right set up you could get a crows foot in there and get it off. It just would require some trial and error.