Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pizza Cutters...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please for the sake of our eyes, dont put on narrow tires like they did, it's just not right! 33"x11.50" is the tire to use.

And thats with NO lift or adjustment to the torsion bars. and i have NO rubbing!

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 01-26-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres mine on 33 10.50's bfg mt's the narrower the tire the better it pulls it cuts insted of floats but i love mine getting 34-10.50 LTBs when these wear out

Old 01-26-2008, 06:45 AM

with over 30,000 on my 33x9.5 AT's on my taco they are the best looking best performing expedition tire I have ever used. road noise is low, they handle slush and deep snow in the North East, I used them on a 9000 mile trip from buffalo NY to puerto vallarta and back including some pretty harry stuff down mexico way (deep sand, jungle roads, non paved mountain passes) My only advice is to buy 6 of them right off the bat so if you do have to replace one you don't have to wait for them to be ordered.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
Please for the sake of our eyes, dont put on narrow tires like they did, it's just not right!
Too bad about your eyes, cuz those tires work great.

Fat tires look cool on the street, but my skinny tires look WAY cooler on the trail. With skinny tires I don't break steering. With the type of trails I run, they are necessary. Simply can't be run with fat tires on early IFS.

Thanks for the insult though! Always good to know who people really are! Thanks for not being fake.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Please for the sake of our eyes, dont put on narrow tires like they did, it's just not right! 33"x11.50" is the tire to use.

And thats with NO lift or adjustment to the torsion bars. and i have NO rubbing!
So what's not right? The fact that a very impressive argument can be made for narrower tires vs. wider tires?

Or is it just about the looks?

If it's about looks, and you like the wider tires because that looks better on a cardomain page, then fine, but please remember that there are those out there who are far less concerned with looks than they are function, and it is typically those guys who know what they are talking about, not just spouting web-wisdom. Its those guys who have earned their stripes actually wheeling their vehicles, not just finding berms and parking on them. It's those guys who are breaking stuff and rebuilding it to be stronger. Those are the guys I prefer to listen to.

Rant off...
Old 01-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

well, put it this way, on my rig and most rigs, WIDE tires are better suited for the kind of travel they do. down here, the wider tires MISS all the mile deep pot holes. So i don't break my Steering...and stop being so senstive axleike, its not a direct insult to you, it is to the tires. skinny tires may be affective on SOME trails. but my wide tires out climbed ALL skinny tires that ran the Rubicon Trail not to mention they gripped better too both on the trail and the track. Its what you use the rig for is what tires are better suited. for Hard core all day off roaders i guess a skinny tire is better (not sure how as they would fall in holes and cracks more than wider tires would.) and show me a disadvantage to wide tires............

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 01-26-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Now, seeing as everone took my posts as insults and not as jokes like i intended them to be, i think everyone needs a
Old 01-26-2008, 01:57 PM

well, put it this way, on my rig and most rigs, WIDE tires are better suited for the kind of travel they do. down here, the wider tires MISS all the mile deep pot holes. So i don't break my Steering, skinny tires may be affective on SOME trails. but my wide tires out climbed ALL skinny tires that ran the Rubicon Trail not to mention they gripped better too both on the trail and the track.for Hard core all day off roaders i guess a skinny tire is better (not sure how as they would fall in holes and cracks more than wider tires would.) and show me a disadvantage to wide tires............
1) what are you taking your truck on the track for?
2) its the way that you word things that could come off as offensive
3) and tire placement is the best way not to drive into "mile deep pot holes" and all the cracks.
4) bigger tires are heavier witch is more unsprung weight witch will break stuff.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:20 PM

Skinnier tires are also great in the snow. On my F-350 I run 33x 10.5s Its so much better for plowing.

Once I put the lift on my truck I will be using the same size on the 4runner.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:31 PM

what about in deep sand since thats what i mainly do.. i was always told wider is better but i want to put some 33x10.5 on to help with the 3.0 better
Old 01-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

My next set of tires will be 33x10.5. 10.5 is pleny wide when aired down for sand. They are good in snow (not deep), on the trail etc...

A little less harsh on the feeble steering parts too.

Throw in the 4:88 gears and life will be all good
Old 01-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by MUDN4R
what about in deep sand since thats what i mainly do.. i was always told wider is better but i want to put some 33x10.5 on to help with the 3.0 better
i drive in deep sand and i have stock 31x10.5s and i do fine, after my lift i want the 33x10.5s
Old 01-26-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please, for the sake of OUR eyes, get rid of the crappy eBay blue headlights, the hood ornament and the '80s style visor thingy, oh and paint your skid-plate black again, all that stuff is just plain wrong!!! and your sig makes my eyes hurt everytime I read one of your posts and stop parking next to Fords!!! your powersteering pump will start squealing in some sort of automotive mating call

^^^ Oh, and that's a joke, not an insult .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................seri ously, it's a joke
Old 01-26-2008, 04:26 PM

I like the belize runner. it looks pretty cool.

wide is better for deep stuff (snow)

skinny is good for anything thats less than 1 ft deep

ive got the experience to know. my 85 could go way further on 12.5 wide tires than 10.5 in deep stuff, in the shallow the 10.5s did fine though
Old 01-26-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i like the pizza cutter look. i have 33x12.50 bfg at's on my 86 pickup. http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...1_225_full.jpg i think they look a little out of proportion and they do HORRIBLE on 1 to 5 inches of snow, id like to get some 11.50's in an mt. nmtoy, your runner is BEAUTIFUL!! i really really like it i love the tires.

Last edited by algranger; 01-26-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:31 PM

Rim width question for AxleIke

I've got the stock gray 6" wide wheels now which I know would be fine for 9.50" wide tires, but I also have a set of the SR5 alloy wheels that are 7" wide. Would the 7" wheels make a 9.50 tire look stupid? Would the wider rim cause problems on the trail?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

well, put it this way, on my rig and most rigs, WIDE tires are better suited for the kind of travel they do. down here, the wider tires MISS all the mile deep pot holes. So i don't break my Steering...and stop being so senstive axleike, its not a direct insult to you, it is to the tires. skinny tires may be affective on SOME trails. but my wide tires out climbed ALL skinny tires that ran the Rubicon Trail not to mention they gripped better too both on the trail and the track. Its what you use the rig for is what tires are better suited. for Hard core all day off roaders i guess a skinny tire is better (not sure how as they would fall in holes and cracks more than wider tires would.) and show me a disadvantage to wide tires............
Your truck drove the rubicon trail, and still looks like that? Either you are an amazing driver or lying. I'm also impressed that you payed to have it shipped to California from Belize.

I find your argument on performance somewhat ineffective. I've run both skinny and fat. I wheel terrain ranging from fast sandy washes to full on rock trails, and everything in between with the exception of mud, routinely. I have wheeled in mud, and do not care for it. Fat tires break parts quick. Skinny tires do not.

Skinny tires are affective on ALL trails for early toyota IFS. Both TC and I have proved it over and over again.

Holes and cracks are totally irrelevant. I have two lockers and a buttload of gearing, and more armor than I know what to do with. Holes have never stopped me. What has is break over and departure, both of which would be solved by a taller tire, but they don't make tires narrow enough to fit without rubbing in a taller size.

I'll also point this out: Until you are driving a full on rock racing tube chassis buggy, tires are totally irrelevant. Unless you have 4 feet of travel, a big motor and 4 thousand dollar axles, your tires won't be the things holding you up. Unless they are breaking your parts, which again, I point out, is what we are talking about.

I agree that the look isn't for everyone, and the OP is asking for peoples opinions on how they look. But perhaps you could refrain from insulting people and simply say: "I'm not a fan of them. I think a fat tire looks better on these trucks. Here's my truck, and how I like it."

And since you insulted me and my truck, why shouldn't I be sensitive about it?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GenXr
I've got the stock gray 6" wide wheels now which I know would be fine for 9.50" wide tires, but I also have a set of the SR5 alloy wheels that are 7" wide. Would the 7" wheels make a 9.50 tire look stupid? Would the wider rim cause problems on the trail?
The 7" rim, IMO, would be perfect. I run an 8" rim, and cannot drop below 15psi on the trail, or the bead rolls off. I need to get a narrower rim, but, since I usually destroy a set of wheels once a year or so, I'm holding on to these for as long as I can.

the 6" would be even better for airing down, but the tires may have a sort of "pinched" look.

But yes, you'll be fine with the 7" rim.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The looks argument is too subjective - IMHO, the tires even with the body lines looks best. Having them stick out (much at all) just makes me think "rollerskate".

All the arguments about wider tires having increased performance offroad (in any condition other than soft sand and some kinds of mud) are bogus.

Belize - how about hitting that berm just the same, then turning the wheels to prove there's no rubbing. Because I'm willing to bet there is ...
Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

I've done both 33x12.5 and 33x10.5 I like the 12.5 for running around just because i feel they look better. My next set will be 11.5 to keep weight down.

But i still keep some 33x10.5 TSL's around just in case

Quick Reply: Pizza Cutters...