Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Overheating in 22RE 3,000 miles after ENGBLDR FEK install

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:32 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
another problem i just noticed is your headers.....REMOVE THEM IMMEDIATELY, box them up and send them to me right now.......hahahahahaha
Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 AM

as far as BURPING the system goes........my driveway slopes ever so gradually away from my garage door , so i may have been lucky in that aspect to be parked on a slant like that. another thing is my 2-valve thermostat (toyota issue and recommended by 4crawler).....if i understand correctly is always open (to a smaller extent) and fully opens at 185 or 187 or something like that. perhaps, allowing the air to pass through the smaller valve made for a very temporary condition....but i DID have my cap on (fully forgetting about the air purging thing) and it sprayed everywhere when i removed it......why didn't it purge into the overflow?/??...no clue, but i kept adding water for those few tense seconds or minutes until the water level dropped no more and it was just rushing past in the radiator.

process of elimination is heavily at work here for ya bud, from yourself and all of us.....but you nailed a big one, eliminating the possibility of being a tooth off
Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 AM

here's what TDC looked like for me

Old 06-04-2010, 06:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks 92 Toy!

I'll have the check out the dizzy for that mark and see if it lines up. Something I see in the pics is that the black rubber part that's at 11:00 on mine is at about 12:00 or 1:00 on yours (maybe I need to adjust mine CCW by loosening the screw...).

I'll check it out hopefully today and report back.

Headers I can't help you with But will strongly recommend as an upgrade to anyone (LCE!). that was another fun adventure in December when I did the timing chian replacement with my friend - stripped 2 holes in the head on the exhuast manifold...had to flatbed it to a shop and get helicoiled).

The marks on the dizzy are from that job in December I believe.

Stay tuned - thanks again guys!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Judging from the pic's from 92 I may stand corrected. You appear to have the dizzy 1 tooth advanced. I think when I did mine I had it lined up with the external plug before the rubber one on the distributor.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Philbert
Hi guys!

So, I got about 30 minutes tonight to go get it to TDC and check out the bright link. After about 4 turns on the crank, lookie what popped up to say hi:

Yes, that's the bright link, at the top, over the "dot", where it should be. Looks like I didn't slip a tooth after all. THANK GOODNESS....now onto solving this problem.

I verified the #1 cylinder was at TDC by making sure the crank pulley was at 0*, the bright link was at 12:00 (duh), and that the top of the cylinder was at the top of its stroke (using a narrow screwdriver through the spark plug hole).

I then took off the dizzy cap to check on things and it appears to be at 11:00 or so:

Chef - the CSI and Coolant temp sensors never moved - I just unplugged them. I think the connectors are the same size, and I may have mixed them up (even though I labled them...). I didn't get a chance to verify that tonight.

92 Toy - I think you may be onto something. I'm learning still about cooling systems...to burp it, I need to do more than just have the cap off while warming up, right? I need to gently squeeze the upper hose a few times to get the bubbles out? More?

All - does the dizzy look right? The Chilton manual didn't really give me more direction tonight than to insert it so that it looked like it does (relatively).

Chef again - we were just up in Grass Valley at the in laws over the long weekend - amazing weather, but tons of pollen. In the high 70s - great ping pong, beer and BBQ weather We try to stop at Auburn Ale House every time we go up there, and grab a couple growlers of their Gold Digger IPA (if you're into that sort of thing....).

Thanks again guys - looking forward to figuring this thing out hopefully over the weekend!

Goodnight!

Phil
Well Phil

It looks like your chain is on there right and I don't think it has skipped a tooth. However, I think you might be a tooth off on the dizzy. When my timing is nuts on, it's always at the 10 o'clock position. Hope that helps.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM

OK guys - I had a chance to duck into the garage before catching my train to work and snapped some photos. Looks like my dizzy is off a gear or two.

Here's 92 Toy's:

And here's mine:

When I get a chance this weekend, I'm going to take the dizzy out and realign it so the mark is just ahead of the cam gear.
Can't wait to try this!
Thanks again guys.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 AM

ding-ding-ding!!!!

wooooohooo Philbert.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Nice investigatory work!!

Keep us posted.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 AM

"investigatory"?!?!? is that even a word?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Why yes it is.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 AM

OK.... good job on the scrabble word then.

quite the conundrum Philbert has going here. quite exquisite, the amount of detail.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahahaha, you guys are great! lol.

Right on, Philbert! I'm starting to wonder if mine is out, also.....but mine isn't stalling, and it's running fairly purrrrrfect, off and on....So not sure it's my issue.

I'm pondering the plethora of informative photographs and detailed step-by-step procedures that Philbert has conveyed to the group. I'm wrought with an overwhelming cornucopia of anticipatory emotions, somewhat in tandem to the countdown of the current Cape Canaveral Launch of ......A BIG WOCKET! hahaha. Sorry, got caught up in the wording-surge, lol.

Good on'ya, Philbert!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He said plethora...
Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by thralldad
He said plethora...
Hahahah....just trying to follow suit with the wordy-input! lol. BTW, HMMMMMMMMM, you seem to have a 4Runner that I need to swap parts with, to diagnose my issue.....coming to Cali in the next couple days? HAHAHA, jk, ...nice rig, Thrall!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:33 AM

You guys..... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM

HAHAHAHA! "OLE!!!" Freakin hilarious movie. It's not Blazzing Saddles, but it was funny, no doubt.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Guys - great news!

This morning I took it apart and advanced the gear on the dizzy one notch so that the "nub" in the photos above mirrored 92 TOY's. Put it together, started it, timed it and presto, it's back to normal again

Will post some pics and video later if I can....had to leave to go help build a 6x8 foot shed across town this afternoon at a family friend's house and now we're sitting down to dinner.

Thanks all of you guys for your help!

PS - noticed one of my PS hoses cracked and several of my other vacuum hoses are showing their age. I noticed someone here did a complete swap with some red (silicone?) hoses that looks fantastic...anyone know what kit that was, or if not a kit, where it was sourced?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:28 PM

This is what I was talking about regarding the hoses BTW:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/cheaptri...tathousing.jpg

(I'm on a Mac right now, which I don't know how to use, so forgive the lack of a direct image.....)

Last edited by Philbert; 06-05-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: missing link
Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Great news Phil!! Glad it worked out for you. Guess its on to the next project, huh?

In other news, got my soft top on today. Finally. Stupid Washington weather.

A little peek (didn't want to hijack with a huge pic, just a link)
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/f...l#post51466904

Quick Reply: Overheating in 22RE 3,000 miles after ENGBLDR FEK install