Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

are our trucks dieing ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well never mind i just called the previous owner and he said there the mickey thomson classic 2 ..your center cap is different but pretty damn close to the same rim
Old 10-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by sincal
well never mind i just called the previous owner and he said there the mickey thomson classic 2 ..your center cap is different but pretty damn close to the same rim
oh, lol, ok... they look bout the same to me...
Old 10-30-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by stagger_lee
Thank God for the Cali sun and no rust.
Originally Posted by 87LVRunner
I just completed 'heavy' maintenance on my 22RE.
i hate you guys lol, seriously though, i wouldn't feel as stupid as i do putting all the time and money into my truck, if it looked like your does... Ok, so i've taken care of all the rust on the body, and most of the frame, but still, everything else still has cancer..... which like i was saying, not only makes it more difficult to repair, but makes thee repairs not as worth while. Your like YES, NEWISH ENGINE... and rust wholes.... i hate salt.... i'm going to make a petition to make salting roads illegal...
Old 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
you know, after owning this truck fro 2 years, i will never go back to any other make of vehicle... my truck has given me her little tiffs now and then, but shes always there for me when i need her... and if dumping a couple hundred dollars into her a year in maintenence, then i figure that im still better off than buying something new... i love my truck, and wouldnt give her up for the world!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Swansen
HOWEVER, i think there is an exception to the rule. A: if you have snow where you live, then you more than likely will get salt on your roads, therefore, it will eat your vehicle alive. Honestly, rust is a killer of all vehicle components, and makes repairs much more difficult. So, if your below the snow belt, i think the Toyota Kill switch gets disengaged, or malfunctions
Ya.... I know..... unfortunatly....
I have a makeshift fuel filter because of it. Line near it was rusted and when "we" (friends helpin me) broke the line.... had to get a rubber hose and fuel filter that fit..... still not fixed right. Any ideas on where to get a cheap fuel line? ....
Old 10-30-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gokumono
still not fixed right. Any ideas on where to get a cheap fuel line? ....
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=sum-tankkit2 Make your own, i'm sure there is non braided as well somewhere, but yeah.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:03 PM

jast make your own fuel line
Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One the best features of our trucks is how rebuildable they are. almost every component can be rebuilt.

As time goes by a lot of people seem to conclude that "it's just an old truck" and stop making sure they are taken care of properly. cutting corners on repairs or letting them slide for a while and the next thing you know the problems start to escalate until you are driving around in a real pile on it's last leg.

By keeping up the same as you did when it was new your truck can last virtually forever as long as the body and frame hold out.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The body on mine is toast. I just put a deposit down on a new fiberglass bed though

I keep planning what I'm going to do when the 22R dies, but I have a funny feeling that's more like "IF" the 22R dies. This is my 3rd 22R-powered vehicle, and I've yet to see one die.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hate you guys lol, seriously though, i wouldn't feel as stupid as i do putting all the time and money into my truck, if it looked like your does... Ok, so i've taken care of all the rust on the body, and most of the frame, but still, everything else still has cancer..... which like i was saying, not only makes it more difficult to repair, but makes thee repairs not as worth while. Your like YES, NEWISH ENGINE... and rust wholes.... i hate salt.... i'm going to make a petition to make salting roads illegal...
I sincerely feel for ya brother. When I lived in local mountains for awhile they resorted to this no salt gravel type material. It didn't melt the ice, but dug into it enough to give pretty good traction after the zamboney, I mean snow plows made us a fresh skating surface. Like driving on sandpaper if you will. The stuff exists. I would do what you can to push the issue. Obviously the damage seems greater then the benefit in your case.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:11 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What if Toyota engineers were all sitting around and were like crap. .... 20 years is just to long for a vehicle to last to the point to be able to drive it everyday. Then one of them was like, ok, were going to have a self destruct point, when they get over 20 years....

thats going in my sig

Last edited by SR5; 10-30-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by stagger_lee
I sincerely feel for ya brother. When I lived in local mountains for awhile they resorted to this no salt gravel type material. It didn't melt the ice, but dug into it enough to give pretty good traction after the zamboney, I mean snow plows made us a fresh skating surface. Like driving on sandpaper if you will. The stuff exists. I would do what you can to push the issue. Obviously the damage seems greater then the benefit in your case.
Yeah, from what i understand about the gravel is that it creates a real mess and chips things. I'm saying just leave the crap alone, if it gets real bad, and its suppose to stay real cold for a couple weeks, ok salt. But with average snowfall, daily traffic, and sunlight, there is hardly merit in salting a road that will clear up on its own. Then there are the side roads, in which case i have no idea why they are salted, on my road there is like an average of 14 houses a mile, and not any real traffic, and being winter, people just need to slow down, or not take back roads, common sense.

Originally Posted by SR5

thats going in my sig
Lol, but wouldn't it be better if like this thread gets erased, and Toyota reps all contact us and are like, you can't tell anyone what you've uncovered.