Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ordered My Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I got the gallon jug of man cologne, aka PB Blaster, and climbed under the tuck and started at it. Look like all will come apart nicely...except for the swaybar, looks like I'll have 2 FSB disconnected now. I kinda think I need to remove it to get the tranny out easily. If I had a shop, a lift, tranny jack, all the time and experience I'd be able to do this with it in place. Since it's my first time, I think it's gotta come out.

I'm hoping I can do this without pulling the starter but that may have to go as well. I don't want to pull the seat so I'm going to have to slice the carpet a wee bit to get the shifters out, hopefully I don't strip the screws holding the boots on.

I found the top 2 bolts and I'm not sure how the heck I'm going to get to them but I'll figure it out in the A.M. when I have a bit more light. I think the one on the pass side I can get from the inner fender well and the on on the drivers I can get from up top. Any suggestions???
Old 04-01-2010, 05:27 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
good luck....i will tune in tomorrow after work.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:33 PM

I'll have some good pic's and hopefully you can see the tranny out!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck man I'll be tuning in.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole free piece of wood deal

HIarious With a capital I
Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Just an update...Those top to blots were a bitch!!! I have the rear Drive shaft disconnected from the trans and tied up, the front off the 3rd member and tied to the trans. Shifters out, starter disconnected, wires disconnected. 4 bolts off the cross member and the nerf bars gone!!! Going to support the motor with jack stands and take the last few bolts out and if all goes well I'll slowly lower the tranny down with a floor jack. If all goes well. I'll have pics later today.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well according to my clock, it should be about 4pm back there. How's things going?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I hope he didn't drop the tranny on his head. lol.

oh yeah..I almost forgot...

Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Ok here is the latest...I have it out!!! and I have some pic's I know how you all like pics, commentary as well...

I started the morning with a cup of coffee and sent the lil lady off to work. I headed to Advanced Auto got my clutch kit, pressure plate and a gallon of SeaFoam (for later when I get bored). So then I started gathering a few tools up...and tossed them on my outside work bench.

Can't forget about the all important tranny jack...

So first off I I figured I'd start with the difficult one and they were fun to get to. I did get them after some figuring, wiggling, and scratching my head out they came.

This one was on the passanger side behind the intake...

This lil bugger is on the drivers side, it really helped to move the e-brake cable out of the way.

From there I continued on removing the rear drive shaft from the trans and removed the front from the diff. Tied the rear drive shaft up and strapped the front to the trans. Then I removed the clutch slave and the starter bolts.

From there I started removing the cross member, I kept it on the trans. I notice how bad the nerf bars were so...

All gone!!!

From there I wen inside and removed the shifters, I had to cut the carpet a bit but when I'm done I think it'll look alright.

Kinda neat looking!!!

Now I got the jack under there on a piece of OSB all the bolts out and the cross member loose and the damn thing would not come off...here I missed a bolt right behind where the slave cylinder mounts. Got that out and it came apart. Really had to work and wiggle but it came, I had to lower the jack, pull, lower, pull, lower and pull out it came. Now I'm in the process of cleaning it up and then I'll pull the old fly wheel out and the pilot bearing.

I noticed that the fork for the throwout bearing was not installed correctly and some red RTV on the trans just inside the bell housing. Looks as if someone was in here before me and didn't get things together correctly...

Kinda makes you wonder why they were in there.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM

it's 820 and that's all you got done??

kidding. i kid. I'm a kidder.

good job.....watching.......................
Old 04-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Well done for tonight, cleaned up, and showered. But before all that happened I got the flywheel off and the pilot bearing out. Gots to give Bleeder a shout for that one. He used TP I used 2.5 paper towels. Took some time but it popped out!!!

I'm ready for the install tomorrow, I hope to have a helping hand or two for this one.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well done sir. After that day, you deserve an adult beverage or two (or three). Great job. Keep us posted.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Well done for tonight, cleaned up, and showered. But before all that happened I got the flywheel off and the pilot bearing out. Gots to give Bleeder a shout for that one. He used TP I used 2.5 paper towels. Took some time but it popped out!!!

I'm ready for the install tomorrow, I hope to have a helping hand or two for this one.

good deal man....yeah I'm still trying to rope in some help....."i only really need ya for 10 minutes or less" (if I had a nickel for every time I said that one hahahahhaha) was the text i sent the brother in law. other brother in law working a double tomorrow (prison guard) like ER's they never close.

catch ya tomorrow, hopefully we both make some good progress.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 AM

This morning has been unproductive thus far...had to get the boy and get him something for Easter...I have the flywheel in and the lil bearing in. Heading out to get the clutch and pressure plate installed. If my help does not get here soon I'll try to get the tranny up myself. Try to.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 AM

help, shmelp.

you don't need no stinkin' help.....(he says smugly now that the head is on)

nah...don't want ya to get crushed either....
Old 04-03-2010, 11:32 AM

status report.

what's yer status LUMPY.

probably outside. that's where all the smart people are on this beautiful day. well, i did have a few hours head start on ya though.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:55 PM

Well I got a bunch done prior to my helper showing up Tim got here about 1:30ish and he showed at the perfect time. I had it up and all lined up but just could not get the last inch to fall...

Ratchet Straps are a tool that I cannot live with out.

Got it on the jack and used a 2x4 through the shifter hole to help steady as well. Had another strap on the rear d-shaft, one on the front d-shaft and another I used later on to pull from the front cross member and the t-case to get it to go.

I before my helper Tim got here I had every thing ready to go and lined up.

So once I had an extra hand a few screw drives and a lot of wiggling we got her in!!! It took about an hour of fussing with the gosh darn thing to get that little bit to go but we got her. Then another 2 hours of getting all the bolts in and making sure "I" didn't forget anything.

All I know is that I could not have gotten this in alone it was a PITA.

Now for the goods...It works just fine. Not quite as heavy as the old one but it grabs much lower and the best part...nooooo slipping!!!

So Mr. Tim and I had a few cold frosty one's and chatted a while.

My celebration>>>

An egg burger with cheese!!! And a LionsHead to follow it down!!!

Old 04-03-2010, 05:59 PM

sweet victory.

ok , now drive over here and help me button this thing up.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:21 PM

4.5 to 5 hours...heck I'll be there by 3!!! but I think we'd both be in trouble if I showed up at your place at 3:30 Easter Sunday morning. I know I'd be in a world of Poo with you know who.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:24 PM

my family would all be sleeping ....we could have this whole thing done and be blasted by the time they got up....hahahahahahaa

Quick Reply: Ordered My Clutch