Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Opinion on Limited Slip up front

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trail banger- it completely depends on what kind of terrain you will be driving in.
I am in the same position as ewong- i have dual trutracs and for what I do they are perfect. I especially love the rear TT. This includes backcountry driving in mud and snow, driving on slick roads and sand. This does not include rock crawling! tc hates them with good reason, in that they don't match his requirements at all, and in fact if you choose poorly (think, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)ie, if you ever plan on doing any rock crawling ever, I would really steer you against a front TT. If you think you will be doing more of the variable consistency/flat terrain and looking for more traction in those situations, then the dual TT might be appropriate. The general feeling is that if you can afford ARB you should go for it, and never look back.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
I HATE my Tru Trac too. (SAS) The brake trick never works very well, and considering how built my rig is that is it's weakest point.

The only downfall with a front locker is that if you need to make a turn while climbing a ledge (4wheeling) you risk blowing a CV. But with that said I think a front locker (whether air, or electric) is the way to go. Shoot maybe I should pull my tru-trac out and sell it to you and get an e-locker...
How much do you want for your TrueTrac?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 AM

I've driven extensively in the snow with a Aussie Locker, which is the same as a Lock Rite or a traditional Detroit, in my front axle. It is not nearly as bad as people say. But this was with a solid front axle. You do hear lots of banging and clanking and popping. It is most annoying to me going downhill and particularly in high traction situations. The limited slip is nice and smooth and provides good traction on snow/ice etc. It will help wtih 4WD too but not a ton as it will allow that other wheel to turn. Not sure if its worth the added cost or not but is a decent solution and probably one of the better options for IFS front, other than a selectable locker like perhaps an ARB.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trail_Banger
Mine is the same as hers and could be yours today.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:28 AM

Many people turn to the limited slips for their security. They believe that the "give" that the limited slip will keep them from blowing Cv joints or Birdfields.The negative is the tire in the air situation. My thoughts are that if you lock the vehicle front and rear you won't have to use as much momentum to conquer obstacles.I believe that the more momentum or effort required to complete an obstacle the more likely hood that you are to break stuff.
I say put an ARB air locker like "Tc" is the best option and $300 is a good start to saving for one.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trail_Banger
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Mine is the same as hers and could be yours today.

Yeah, go with Isaac's - we would have to take it out of her truck, his is in a box ready to go.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Front lockers save CV's

True tracs work great until you lift a wheel. On an IFS truck, it happens a lot.

Djllaroc, that trick works great with lunchbox lockers, does not work with welded diffs....
Well I'm confused now. There was an old thread where I had read, you can't do that trick with lunchboxes.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:38 PM

The truetrac is manufactured by Eaton, NOT Detroit.

I have them in both ends of my truck...but it's pretty much a street truck. the TT blows when it comes to offroading.

From the look, you wheel your rig and would be much better off with a cable/electric/air locker in the front than the TT.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:46 PM

Aren't they both made by Eaton?

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...ials/index.htm
Old 03-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Well I'm confused now. There was an old thread where I had read, you can't do that trick with lunchboxes.
Maybe we are confused as to what "trick" we are talking about?

I was refering to the twinstick trick to be able to steer a front lunchbox locker.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
The truetrac is manufactured by Eaton, NOT Detroit.

I have them in both ends of my truck...but it's pretty much a street truck. the TT blows when it comes to offroading.

From the look, you wheel your rig and would be much better off with a cable/electric/air locker in the front than the TT.
Eaton owns detroit.

When I purchased mine, it was the "detroit trutrac". Now i guess its the "eaton trutrac"

Sorry for the mix up.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM

Keep the front as an open. If you add anything, maybe a locker. In a real tight spot, you could lock it up. But otherwise, its a bear to steer, even in mud.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe we are confused as to what "trick" we are talking about?

I was refering to the twinstick trick to be able to steer a front lunchbox locker.
Yeah, I'm sure we were talking about different things... I thought they were talking about the trick, where you only lock 1 manual hub.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

ohhhhh.

Yeah, not sure on that one.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM

As I said, once you lift a tire, it doesn't work. So I bought lockers.
What? You must have had a bad limited slip!

One thing I would like to mention, we all went many places with open diffs both front and rear where we thought our truck would never go. Adding a limited slip in the front only aids us not hurt us. Guys have made it through many places at Moab with open diffs. My vote stands for the majority of us here a limited slip would work great in the front of an IFS. My 2wd went many places the 4wd trucks went with a limited slip.

James
Old 04-01-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
Keep the front as an open. If you add anything, maybe a locker. In a real tight spot, you could lock it up. But otherwise, its a bear to steer, even in mud.
Why would it be hard to steer with a limited slip?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 PM

when my runner was still ifs i had a detroit true track and it worked for me my setup at the time was a detroit locker in back and a detroit truetrac in front i like that setup when wheeling
Old 04-01-2008, 05:49 PM

no it wouldn't be hard to steer
Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JamesD
What? You must have had a bad limited slip!
Nope. It was in perfect working order. I even had a buddy who is a toyota tech tell me that it was unusually tight.

EVERY SINGLE limited slip I have EVER seen has been useless with one wheel in the air.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:10 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Trutrac is a little different than a clutch-type limited slip. It only can allow a multiple (usually 3.5) of the torque that can be handled by the wheel with the least traction. Since 3.5 x 0 = 0, they won't work with a wheel in the air. you can "cheat" it by applying some brake, but it's tricky.

A clutch type LSD allows a certain torque split between the wheels, and therefore could work with a wheel off the ground, but it still would not be very effective.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Limited Slip up front