Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

One Sad 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Muddog--did you have an alarm?? I agree with the post above...BOLT DOWN YOUR STUFF. if you have an alarm, the theif wants to get in/out as fast as possible. Bolted down means too long--with an alarm sounding. (Although, a thief would prob get pissed and trash your rig a little--as you got with the tires. Same thing happened to my buddies Jeep--lost all four 35" MT tires.) I had my 89 toy truck broken into twice for a stereo. First time, the very courteous theif slipped my back extra cab window out and carefully placed in the truck bed. Thanks Azhle. The second time, someone forced open rear sliding window. I did not have an alarm at the time. Now, I have an alarm. No problems--so far. I know people who toss razor baldes under the handles of their sub boxes. If you choose to do that, TRY AND REMEMBER...in case you need to move your subs! As for the stereo, go detachable face (if you haven't already). Then, take it with you. Again, the theif will probably get pissed and screw up your car. But, he won't be smiling while he rolls down the street listening to your system.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:09 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll tell ya one thing, they see your stuff they take it.

This is the main reason I have a locking truck box on my T100-cant pry it open..I tried!

There are some things you should know about how to stop thieves:
1. No matter how well you lock it up, unless its in in a locked metal box (truck box) or safe they will figure out someway to get into it.

2. Dont put any dang stickers on your truck if they advertise stuff, its ok to put rancho or something but advertising alpine, pioneer, etc is stupid.

3. Put your speakers/subs and all audio equipment in the factory locations for your speakers and head unit. Not a single soul would know looking at my truck that I have some 100 buck/pair boston acoustics speakers in my truck, thats b/c they are where the factory speakers are.

4. Like your nice head unit, take the faceplate off. Or better yet if you can find an older decent one use that. I still have a really old pioneer 1.5" high deck, it does what I need, it works fine and it doesnt look to bad-plus since it isnt all cool looking no one wants it.

5. Get locking lugs for your wheels, it takes 5 minutes to remove a tire if you have the right tools.

6. Get some kinda alarm, do not get it installed by best buy or some kinda place, go to a real audio installer...

7. Dont advertise your truck, dont gun it, dont make it super loud, etc. That all attracts attention..

8. Check on it if you can if your worried about it.

Thus far the only thing I ever had get stolen was an old cd player and some cd's and it was probably some punks. I blame myself cause I left it unlocked..
Old 04-25-2007, 11:43 AM

an alarm is only part of the solution, here is the other part

Old 04-25-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell yeah. Got the bullet in chamber and everything. I guess living in the backs woods of alabama most around here know you risk see whats in the bottom of the barrell if they catch you screwing up. Guy killed 3 people. Shot them in the back while running away with stolen stuff from guys barn. He shot them with 30.06 20 feet away. And he got off scott free.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:51 PM

im not sure that makes me feel safer. lol.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:38 PM

personally I'd shoot the people in the leg if they were stealing, shoot them in the chest if they were threatening my safety.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ToysRus
I know people who toss razor baldes under the handles of their sub boxes.
I like that idea
Old 04-26-2007, 10:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CJM
6. Get some kinda alarm, do not get it installed by best buy or some kinda place, go to a real audio installer...
Why is that? I was planning on going to BB as soon as I got my truck...
Old 04-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

you could always display a sticker that reads:" this vehicle protected by smith & wesson, colt etc four days a week. you decide which four days."

lee
Old 04-26-2007, 04:20 PM

You know readin this makes me want to invent an even better theft deterrent/retaliation system. Wonder if Texas has anything about electrifying your door handles and bedrails... Nothin deadly, just tazer level...
Old 04-26-2007, 04:28 PM

lol. but then u get the guys who just look for somethin to lean against, and BAM, u made em look like a sissy cause a grown man is layin there twitchin on the ground. lol. anyways, id say just lock it all up. do whatever u can, but dont go crazy. it doesnt happen too often so u dont have to get way paranoid or anything. but yea, it does happen. just do whats smart.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM

once i get some more subs, they will deffinately be bolted down with the amps under the seats and dash maybe?
all my speakers are going to be custom, but hidden under the panels so it looks stock, im also getting an alarm. remote start also baby.

none of my boxes have handles so the razor blades are out, ill forget anyway.

sometimes it does happen alot, 5systems in my pickup gone in 3 months when i got it. they were all hidden.
im not gona go there though, i dont want to get banned from yt

Last edited by 91muddog; 04-26-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:39 PM

lol. true that. my 4inch speakers are in the factory spots, and the amp is screwed into a board screwed into the back wall in the cab, but the box is just kinda floatin around behind my seat.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:32 PM

Well, as far as makin you're box unsteal-able, my bud's bronco used to ride around with the top off bout 90% of the time (like me). What we did was use alot of high strength L brackets, but instead of using bolts, we pulled up the carpet and used 1/2" drive rivets straight into the metal. Worked great. You could probably use Torx bolts if you aint wanna rivet it. I mean come on, who carrys Torx bits with em when they go stereo huntin?

He did get a couple attempted thefts though. One that came closest to gettin that box out (mounted the amp inside the box) was the guy who tried to use the pry bar my bud had layin around in his bronco. Box was all chewed up and dents in the bed, but he didn't get it out. Keyed the truck and slashed the tires in a rage, but he DIDN'T get the box.

Now I went a different route. I made my own custom sub box. I got a 5gallon paint bucket, cut off the bottom, mounted a 10" sub on the bottom, fastened the amp to the inside of the lid, took the pour cap off the lid for the port hole, put the lid on and vola. Sounded really good suprisingly, very inconspicuous, semi-water/mud proof, and super portable. Best of all was the price. ZERO.

Someone tried jacking my deck while I was at a party, but they couldn't defeat my custom self built metal fabbed harness. I'll have to take a picture of it sometime... But anyhoo, they messed my truck all up, but didn't even notice sub/amp box. What's a redneck's favorite apperal? Camouflage!

Last edited by SwampThing; 04-26-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinInSac
Why is that? I was planning on going to BB as soon as I got my truck...
Cause they are idiots, plain and simple.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
haha, you're right. I'll have to poke around.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
aint that the truth. i worked there for a while and other people who worked there even told me never to get anything installed by them.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by curly_c
aint that the truth. i worked there for a while and other people who worked there even told me never to get anything installed by them.
Speaking of which, heard of any local shops that are worth looking into for an alarm + install? Preferably <$350.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Thats awesome swampthing. best camo idea i have heard.

For my pickup i built a couple shallow box's for 10's, they fit with the seat only one click forward. they screw into the back of the cab from the inside of the box, three 1/4 inch bolts. then the sub screws in and them you put the amps in under the seat and bolt the seat down. the seat is impossible to move witht the amps under it and you cant take them or take the subs out without removing the seat.
i love it.

adn my deck slides right out, it looks like a junk deck but work like a $500 deck.

as for the speakers, noone has ever tried to get them, idk why. they are in the doors.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 PM

That def sucks...I think the "Protected By: Springfield Armory" sticker that is going on will suffice for an alarm

Quick Reply: One Sad 4runner