Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Once again my 3.0 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ever happened?

Hi! I have been following this thread as we have the same exact problem with our 92 4runner. We have checked everything it seems. Did you ever find the problem? I have read a bunch of threads and no one ever posts what the outcome is. Our dealer says it has to be the computer, but why would it just stop working? Also, he says the ignition module could be bad, but wanted to see how you did before taking it in for them to check everything I already have. Hope they fixed it and it didn't cost you too much! Ann & Dave
Old 02-17-2011, 01:14 PM

Hey! its still in the shop im letting them put the new ECM in but it had to be ordered. Closest one is in Dallas so we will see tomorrow. Yeah i have replaced several things as you have probable read, Im not to confident tht the ECM is the problem because i have tried 2 and it didn't change. But maybe i have 2 bad ones. I will let you know what happens tomorrow. I have come across bad ECMs on this site, but it doesn't seem that it should happen that often, or suddenly.

Last edited by 95blackToy; 02-17-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:13 AM

Well, on one hand I hope they figure it out, on the other I hope it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. We too have tried everything. Although our starting points were a little different the symptoms are exactly the same. We have been working on ours for almost 5 weeks now and it is driving us crazy! The only thing we have not tried is cleaning the IAC? Someone mentioned this a while ago, but we never got to that one or the the fuel pressure regulator. Also, when we researched about the ECM, it did say that the particular one that was in our truck did have problems, but I find it hard to believe you have 2 that do not work. I am very curious to see if the one they ordered you works and if it is an aftermarket or not. I hope you hear good news today! Keep us posted as will I if anything changes on mine!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM

Thanks, what is the IAC? Mine has plenty fuel pressure but just has no injector pulse is what they said so thats why they think its the ECM. And it better be factory or beter for $650. They were suppose to have it in and fixed by like 11 or something but apparently they still dont have the part, and dont even know if it will come in today. we will see i will post on here tonight and let you know.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 PM

hope it gets fixed, toyota usually does good, but watch out they like to charge and have excess work done.

one question though, how were you able to hold it in the start position to allow the engine to run, without ruining your starter? does the starter just spin faster and faster?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:03 PM

Well part never came in shooting for tomorrow. Yeah they charge to much for labor, or just screwed me on that, and part is 650. total will end up being around 1100 but there is some stuff included with the new ECM or something. so kind of check on all the sensors or something. not sure exactly.

And about the starter, i dont really know how it all worked. starter stayed engaged so i didnt want to hold it long, but it would idle at about 1000 and when i dissengaged the starter would idle up to 1200, then die shortly after. So apparently it was bogging it down a little bit.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
still no luck eh?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM

no the shop still doesnt have the part. part was suppose to come it two days ago. And should tomorrow they say. Its only like a 4 our drive. dont know why it is taking so long. I will be sure to post on here the moment it is fixed.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:40 AM

well it ends up they didnt order the right part, and they cant even get the right one, and that no one in the country has one accept used junkyard ones. Well i took my spare and they are gonna test them out. Im getting so frustrated that TOYOTA! cant fix my TOYOTA!
I took it to them for that reason, that they should have all the resources and it not be a problem for them. So now the earliest i could even get the truck back is by monday and thats only if this computer fixes it. But i know it wont because i have swapped them out numerous times. I want a carburated engine that doesnt have all of this electrical bs!
Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 PM

thats crazy bad luck man.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:55 AM

Yeah I know man. They are working on it n there time noe though so maybe they will get it figured out. I might just have to buy another known good one and put that in.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
havent read thru the whole thread... so sorry if it has been mentioned/covered... but sounds to me like the igniter might b toast... The fsm dosent really mention a way to test this part, so I'd try to find a used one for cheap(i got a igniter/coil unit from the local bone yard for $25)... see if it works, and if so, spend the $ for a new one from toyota...
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the idea. I bought a used one, and its getting spark. something is causing the injector not to fire because it will only run off of the cold start injector.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like you're getting somewhere with it anyway, it it's been narrowed down to the injector pulse. That should be a bad ground, ECU-injector wiring or, yes the ECU itself. But i highly doubt you've got 2 bad ones. Seems they don't usually go unless you take them swimming. I assisted in "fixing" an ECU not too long ago by cleaning engine grounds, and cleaning/tightening starter connections. Maybe the dealer wants to run a couple new wires but charge you for an ECU...

Even if they can't fix it all isn't lost. Couple threads to note
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51130411
http://www.noidlight.com/

Might try shooting SB5walker a PM if you end up needing further help with it. Seems to know his way around the engine circuitry more than most people, including myself.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM

thanks Jbtvt. Its still at the dealership. They havent called me in 2 days, so im giving them a call tomorrow. I think they want me to buy a used ECM at a junkyard or something, but im gonna make them track one down so that if it doesnt fix it i dont pay for the part and im not stuck with it. Im also gonna ask and make sure they checked the ECM ground found in one of the links above. Im kinda giving up on getting it back soon, as its already been there over a week.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM

wow thats a bummer
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM

yeah its all a bunch of crap, its like they are avoiding me or something.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 AM

Really stinks that they lead you on like that. We still do not have ours running. Tried a few more stupid things that you had already tried and no luck. We were told by 2 different people to try the IAC, which I think is under the throttle body.. we haven't tried that yet. We are also going to try checking the grounds because we did read on a few other posts that grounds were the problem. I hope you get it back running. I am going to test things all day... I'll let you know if anything changes. Our local toyota shop (not dealer, just mechanic) told us to check the fuel pressure regulator on top of the fuel rail, sometimes those do go... we have a spare that we know works, so may try that too today. Thanks for keeping us updated!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 AM

We did notice that when we take the vaccumn line off the fuel pressure regulator their is fuel, and I don't think there is supposed to be. I'm swapping that out today and seeing what happens. Not sure if this is correct.. but I have an extra, so what the heck. I am about ready to kill this thing.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 AM

changed fuel pressure regulator... not it still doing same thing.

Quick Reply: Once again my 3.0 wont start