Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ome rear suspension users: opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
hi all,

about two mos. ago i replaced flat OE leafs with OME CS009s medium flex (not HD) and OME light duty shocks. i bought these because of the great price and high praise from YT'ers.

after install, i had to do a lot of work to get my pinion angle right. i still don't think it's right, since there's still some hum-hum vibration from the back end at highway speeds.

anyway, i figured these things would have softened up by now. they have definitely dropped down a few inches, but the ride is harsh and bouncy on pavement. i haven't had time to drive off road yet.

IS EVERYONE'S RIDE HARSH AND BOUNCY WITH THESE SPRINGS?

my head is now constantly slamming the headrest dvd players, and it's getting annoying.

WILL ADDING A REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER MAKE MY RIDE SOFTER?
am i just too light right now? are these springs made for a higher GVWR? i could just chill with these until i can afford bumpers/sliders/sound deadener that will bring its weight up.

OR should i sell 'em and get something else, like from Rancho, for a more street-friendly ride?

all opinions welcome!
I would sell them and do exactly what you said. but that's my 2 cents.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OutlawMike
Just to confirm, are you sure that you have sleeves in each of the bushings, the one in the front and the two in the rear on each spring? If you do not have sleeves in there, then you do not have a hard stop to ensure you do not over compress the bushings and bind the suspension.
I have this exact same problem with my OMEs. they were a bit stiff to begin with, then I switched from oversized shackles to stock ones and the ride is MUCH stiffer and bouncier to the point of being ridiculous.

the more I think about it, the more I'm positive that not having the sleeves in the shackles is what is causing it. the old shackles were one piece with a welded brace so they wouldn't have needed sleeves, but my new shackles are two separate pieces.

where the heck can I find these sleeves at? I dont want to buy a bunch of OME bushing kits just to get the one sleeve that is in each. (already have the bushings in place, they didn't come with sleeves)
Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 PM

I have experienced the same situation. I had custom shorter shackles and it rode TERRIBLE. I put the stock shackles back on and it helped a bit. Mine also had two overload springs, I removed the bottom one to lower it a little. The front bolt on my springs also have a custom sleeve in it that is probably not as long as the original. Im gonna try loosening it up and seeing if it rides better but I have also been considering removing a leaf (Please let me know of you opinions!). As for this driveline Issue I do get a wierd noise when Im at high speeds, Im pretty sure my driveshaft is clocked correctly but im not sure what it is. Its mostly in 4th and 5th gear and I can put it in neutral when im on the freeway and coast and it will make the noise constantly. It also makes the noise when I engage the clutch and let off. It is a metallic grinding sound like a bearing is bad. I was originally thinking it might be either the transmission or my pinion bearing but now im wondering if something is out of balance. Please let me know what yall think!

Last edited by MegaManX268; 09-16-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by aw.eenink
hey i have a 88 4runner sr5 3.0 v6 4wd. I want to raise the rear end 3 to 4 inches. dvd headrest . so what should i do?
Would look great if you ended up doing that.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:46 PM

i have a 93 pickup and i have the same problem but my springs arent the CS009R i have the CS019R they have 3 leafs and 3 overload leafs. the 4 runners and trucks have different leafs or do you think i have the wrong leafs? I have the medium duty anyone with a truck have ome with 3 springs and 3 overloads on CS019R?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have those springs on my truck. Also OME poly bushings and over center OME rear shackles and "new" U-bolts.

The rough ride is from your shocks. they need to move, I use Rancho (on soft) or currently Trail Master. Also an extra 50lbs behind the axles helps some.

The hole is for 18mm bolts, the factory bolts on mine were smaller, so there started an EPIC saga. So now they are in and work like champs. If you used the small factory bolts, that maybe a part of the problem.

Pinion angle is not changed, unless you changed the saddles or failed to seat them properly at installation. Also check the torque of the U-bolts, nothing should be loose.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 AM

anyone have cs019R spring how many leafs do you have?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine have five, one is an overload.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike
Just to confirm, are you sure that you have sleeves in each of the bushings, the one in the front and the two in the rear on each spring? If you do not have sleeves in there, then you do not have a hard stop to ensure you do not over compress the bushings and bind the suspension.
This turned out to 100% be my problem. I was binding the springs on the shackles cause there was no spacer. I broke down and bought the OME greaseable shackles, their bolts are shouldered to keep the shackle plates separated when the bolts are torqued down. with those on now, the truck rides like a dream.

I was considering pulling a leaf but now I don't think I'll need to. it still rides a tiny bit stiff but it's completely within reason for a heavy-duty spring.