Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oil Leaking from Timing Cover Bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
THANKS, MAN!

Yeah, actually, I've already helped a few guys in person and met a couple great friends who've helped me as well! Yep...no regrets, either, lol..., and on this one, even though I got back a Long block, having torn it out myself, but not really knowing much else, I since have...

1. Removed cover and adjusted valves, 3 times
2. Removed cover, head bolts and swapped cams w/out removing head
3. Pulled the front down to the oil pump and did 'sealant on the top bolt' dohicky! lol.
4. Analyzed the entire EFI, Vacuum and Ignition systems around 40 times, lol
5. Installed a header and new O2 set up
6. Installed a Cold Air intake(yeah, no biggie, I know, lol)
7. Installed new wire from positive to terminal, all other hard wiring as well to Alt and Starter
8. Installed a new COR
9. Installed a new TPS and adjusted it
10. Installed a New IACV and all new coolant lines and vacuum lines
11. Installed a new Electric Automatic Power Antenna
12. Installed all new Brake System(other than lines)
13. All new hub assembly from Auto Locking Hubs to brand new Manuals
14. New Rear Bumper
15. New HD Clutch Kit w/bearings
16. New Alternator
17. Pulled and reinstalled the intake 3 times(leaks, then injector failure, then another leak from electrolysis riddled piping)
18. Yoinked the bump stop pillar and installed 12"x125# Zuk Coils
19. Installed low miles AFM

& I'm sure, MUCH MORE THAT I'VE MISSED........

OH, AND I CUSTOM PAINTED MY ENGINE! hahaha.

And now, ...... 2 bolts, 2 different days, have cost me almost 2 days MORE of free time and caused me to get momentarily cranky! hahahaha. Ahhhh, whatever... when it's over, I can finally enjoy it for MANY more years.

THANKS, Buddy, on the Timing Cover stuff. The one I paid for was supposed to be OEM and fully tested, etc. Could be so, and maybe he just messed up on that part of the gasket. I tell you what though.... next one, other than the block, I'M DOING EVERYTHING myself! lol.

I'll let you know, D, and thanks, again, very much!

Mark
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM

KEEP VOLUME DOWN at first...just to be sure? lol...

First video, it's been running for 20+ minutes, .... and you can see for yourself... ahhh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLTKRC0TX8k

This one actually has narration, lol.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoM1Tkz0ct8

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-29-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats Mark, glad to hear it! It should hold, just keep an eye on it!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:27 AM

WOO HOOO! My first visiting friend to celebrate with me! Ok, I shouldn't celebrate just yet... but DANG, to be honest, I DID NOT think it was gonna hold even for a minute! lol. As I said in the video... WHAT A FREAKIN NAIL BITER, ROB! I have done MUCH more risky stuff like the CAM swap....but for some reason, this had me almost as nervous! lol.

THANKS, SO MUCH, BROTHER, for all your help!

Mark
Old 10-29-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
glad for ya man! Keeping my fingers crossed it holds. I'm sure it will.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:56 PM

My Main Mouse!, lol...

Hey guys,

Well, I drove around 60 Miles today, all over the South Bay, and I stopped around 8 times on errands.... I musta got under there, ....well, AT LEAST 8 TIMES! lol. People in the parking lots were like "Everything ok?" and I'd answer, 'I SURE HOPE SO!"... hahaha.. They'd look at me with this look like, "HUH? You hope so? Don't get it", lol.

Anyhow, I'm home and as of around 100 Minutes Running(60 Miles included), I am hesitantly happy to report that there is................NOT A DROP LEAKING, PERIOD!

I'm going to be busy cooking 3 parties this weekend, plenty of driving, and by mid-next week, if I still have no leaking, I will GO TO SEE MY DAD!!!! lol.

Thanks again, guys, and even if it ended up leaking, I'm totally prepared for what I would have to do and I WILL do it in one day! lol.

Mark

PS> If anyone has any ideas on the Grill/Bumper Guard Pics on my Troubleshooting thread(what color to paint it), that'd be GREAT! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Good to hear
Old 10-29-2010, 04:14 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
GOOD job CHEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:48 PM

Woot Woot for OMS! lol

Thanks, Jerry!

Mark
Old 09-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like my cover is leaking at the block right where the same bolt enters the cover so I did the same procedure. I am going to let the Black RTV set until morning then reinstall my shroud and electric fan. I'll report back tomorrow.

Last edited by Buck87; 09-11-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 PM

Man, I forgot, completely, that I did this thread! I went into much more in depth explanation and follow up on my build thread... It didn't work, mainly because the oil found another way out. It worked it's way up and over the sealant and right out the side of the timing cover. I eventually realized that the Orig. Rebuilder of my motor was a TOTAL KNOB, ....and he screwed up by putting too much sealant on my timing cover to block set up...and screwed up my cam, and cracked my block at the top right bolt hole in the block through the timing cover(alternator bracket goes there too), ...... fubar'd my crank grind, honing, valve guides and seals, stole my LCE timing kit.... ETC., but that's besides the point! lol. I hope it works for ya, Matt, ...and please, let me know either way, here or on my build, k?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

I dont know how to navigate 100 plus page builds, but I will make sure to wrap up this thread.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

So far so good. The the e- fan is running so she is up to 185 deg F and no sign of oil yet. As a bonus I did some trimming on my Taurus fan to make it fit better, adjusted the valves to help me narrow down the mystery noise, and got the oily mess under my AC cleaned up. I'm gona taske it to my mechanic for the mystery sound because I dont have time to mess with it and if all goes well I want to go to Pismo in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 AM

Good to hear, Matt!

Keep me/us updated as to, HOPEFULLY, how well your 'FIX' is going and even on your 'noise', k?

Out of curiosity, what kind of noise it is? Repetitious, louder than normal Ticking?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

The story,
Leaking bad around the timing cover so I called Toy Connection in San Jose and the the dude said that some of the bolts need silicon check the FSM. I checked the FSM on page EM 49 "timing chain" and found no mention of silicon on the bolts. I also skimmed 4 Crawlers site and did not see anything. No mention of silicon so I started searching on YT and ended up here. When I originally put the AC bracket on my rebuilt long block I dont think that I used any silicon though I spent hours doing my homework. I put some silicon on as instructed in this thread and so far so good. I will let you know.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Good to hear, Matt!

Keep me/us updated as to, HOPEFULLY, how well your 'FIX' is going and even on your 'noise', k?

Out of curiosity, what kind of noise it is? Repetitious, louder than normal Ticking?
At 2400rpms to2600 rpms there is a fingers across a black board sound. It was hard to notice because it only happens in that short rpm range. While I was under the truck I noticed a little trail under the water pump weep hole. hmmm.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Buck87
The story,
Leaking bad around the timing cover so I called Toy Connection in San Jose and the the dude said that some of the bolts need silicon check the FSM. I checked the FSM on page EM 49 "timing chain" and found no mention of silicon on the bolts. I also skimmed 4 Crawlers site and did not see anything. No mention of silicon so I started searching on YT and ended up here. When I originally put the AC bracket on my rebuilt long block I dont think that I used any silicon though I spent hours doing my homework. I put some silicon on as instructed in this thread and so far so good. I will let you know.
Yeah, .... the Oil pump mounting bolt on top/center is the only bolt in the timing cover assembly that is SUPPOSED to get Sealant.... That's because, the AC area/bottom portion especially, is RIGHT TO THE LEFT of the Oil Galley that feeds the pump...... so it's prone to leaking if the actual TIMING COVER gasket is not done 'just so'. Sometimes, that Oil pump mounting bolt that gets sealant.... if it does NOT get sealant, ....can LEAK down and to the pass. side of the block/timing cover area...and since it's not easily seen once the motor is back together, it can be hard to tell where the leak is coming from. (Just like with the 'corners' of the head/block/timing cover can leak and be misleading).

Originally Posted by Buck87
At 2400rpms to2600 rpms there is a fingers across a black board sound. It was hard to notice because it only happens in that short rpm range. While I was under the truck I noticed a little trail under the water pump weep hole. hmmm.
Matt, seriously?>>>> REPLACE THE PUMP, QUICK! I was driving home one day, and suddenly, it began to squeal!!!!!! Then I quickly overheated thereafter. Pulled over, got home, then a helper showed me it was the pump(H20)... Replaced it and the radiator went the next day, hahaha.(I think it's a 'too much flow all the sudden' type thing.)

You can get Aisin Water Pumps on line for pretty cheap now! toyotapartszone.com and dealerdirectparts.com... and a few more. Just be careful with those bolts, don't go past 9#!!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The top bolt of the oil pump needs RTV in it. THat is the only bolt that gets RTV as it goes through the timing cover.

Edit: Chef beat me too it...
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
The top bolt of the oil pump needs RTV in it. THat is the only bolt that gets RTV as it goes through the timing cover.

Edit: Chef beat me too it...
Missed it byyyyyyyyyy THAT MUCH! lol. 1 minute to be exact, lol.

And yeah, ...the AC bolt hole fix did not 'fix' it for me. I should have just tore off the timing cover at that point, where I would have found out that the KNOB MACHINIST that I used had cracked the block! lol. Could have saved me around another 20 hours of chasing my tail, tearing down again, etc.

But I understand 'trying' it, first. I do.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info guys. Yea, I did the water pump bolt correctly. Should have put a new pump on then, because it's in the shop getting a new pump now. Should be an easy job because I allready replaced the old, broken, rotten, rusty pump bolts.

Last edited by Buck87; 09-12-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaking from Timing Cover Bolts???