Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Problem has shown its ugly face

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OH YEA!..i almost forgot..

when i test drove it a bit ago..I HAD FULL THROTTLE AGAIN!!!!!!!! im sooo happy..i haven't been able to floor my truck and gain speed in over a year..it always stumbled and sputtered before..but not now!

although now it won't idle good..
BUMP..
Old 11-06-2009, 03:47 PM

now im right back where i started from...

truck won't idle worth a ....at all..i mean none..

if the choke is closed or 1/8in open..then it will idle fine at 2200-2300 rpms..

but if i disengage the fast idle (open the choke plate..or give it throttle) then it will die almost immediately.............guys..im STUMPED...i'm ready to give up..i want to just sell this P.O.S. and be done with it...it's given me wayyyy more problems than any other vehicle i've ever owned..

this truck has been down more than it has been running....one headgasket..one bad camshaft..numerous other small problems along the way..carb issues after the first headgasket (i'm thinking the mechanic screwed something up...but he won't admit to it.)...continuing carb issues..bad ball joints..uppers and lowers..need to rebuild the idler arm..repack the bearings..new cv's..new TC output seal..rear wheel bearings..i mean son of a #$#@! when is it going to end...

the problem right now with the carb i'm guessing is simple...something nobody is thinking of..

im gonna replace the PCV valve (its cheap..and if i blow into it..it closes..but also leaks a little bit) while i'm at it i'll probably block that off and put a breather on the VC.

and another is the Choke Opener diaphragm..it has a hole in it..but i've been told that i don't even need that...that i can just block off the lines and be done with it....all it does is back the choke off after a bit..hell i can do that with my foot..

other than those 2 things......im lost..

the idle cut solenoid works fine..just like it should..i'm guessing the choke works?..i know that the coil inside does contract like it should.

and on top of all of that...i can't get anybody to reply to me on here...which really hacks me off..this is the least amount of help i've ever gotten...big disappointment yotatech...........although not everybody is an expert with the 22R motor
Old 11-06-2009, 05:13 PM

ANYBODY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!? i'm willing to try just about anything at this moment..
Old 11-07-2009, 09:15 AM

Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you've screwed up somewhere in your carb rebuild. If i were you i'd go of to a wrecker pull a carb of something there. mount it to get your truck running and then tear back into you original carb.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 AM

tried that..nobody within reasonable distance has a carb with an electric choke...actually none of them have a carb at all..lol

whenever i punch the gas to engage the fast idle.....it doesn't do anything..at all...so what im thinking is something is wrong there and my choke coil is messed up or somethin..im gonna go to a self service place in a little bit and see if i can find a electric choke (they don't keep inventory so idk if they have one or not..all i know is that they have a few toyota's) and if i can...then i'll probably take the choke..and maybe even the whole carb if the linkage is in good working order....just so i can see how it all works so i can make sure that i have everything like it should be..
Old 11-07-2009, 12:34 PM

junkyard won't be open again until monday......

still trying to grasp the concept of why my carb isn't working properly..lol
Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 PM

your sure you got the float level set high enough?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:55 AM

well the fuel level is right in the middle of the sight glass...and im assuming that's right because that's what people have told me....i guess i could adjust it a little higher though and see what happens
Old 11-12-2009, 03:16 PM

ok i dont think the fast idle linkage is all working right...something isn't in the right place

but on another note...it seems as though once it drops below 1500rpms (round abouts that area..give er take a few hundred rpms) it seems as though the ignition cuts off....like it just STOPS firing...VERY sudden...it's as though you just turn the key off....
Old 11-12-2009, 05:24 PM

and i just noticed...the distributor wasn't set right..so the timing was off...i put it at about where it used to be (when the truck ran good) thanks to a picture i had of that side of the motor...now it idle's better..at about 1600-1400 (it fluctuates) and i also noticed that the idle mixture screw doesn't do a damn thing to the motor.....i can screw it ALLLL the way in..and nothing..i can almost screw it ALLL the way out..and still nothing...

could it be stuck on the inside and therefore be keeping the mixture way rich???
Old 11-14-2009, 08:17 AM

took the top of the carb back off (for about the 50th time) last night...and the needle valve fell apart (pics to come in a minute)..and now all the sudden i can't find how it goes back together...and i can't find the diagram that shows it either...if SOMEBODY as some advice..other than getting a new vehicle or giving up...give it to me..i have over $500 due for my college..and i can't afford a new truck..

*EDIT* heres the pics..
thats the piece that idk how it goes in..

and that brass piece in the center is the needle valve "seat"

Last edited by camo31_10.50; 11-14-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:06 AM

BUMP!!!! anybody??!?!?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:23 PM

ok...it idles.....but very rough and it kinda "coughs" as well....and if i keep the passenger barrel partially covered (with my hand..or with the choke 'flapper') then it doesn't cough and i can idle it all the way down to about 800-900 rpms with no problems..but if i take my hand off the barrel then it dies....it seems to me like it's getting too much air?..or well not enough fuel..im gonna test my fuel PSI pretty soon..im about 95% sure that it's up to par though....as far as i know though i shouldn't need a fuel pressure regulator..but would this possibly be able to fix my problem????
Old 11-15-2009, 06:34 AM

bump!!! anybody know why i would have to choke the motor (partially) to get it to run good??...fuel filter is brand spankin new...and im fairly sure none of the lines are blocked..and the idle mixture screw does absolutely nothing if i turn it....NOTHING...doesnt affect the carb at allll.. i can take the screw out and it still do the same thing..
Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 AM

are you pulling in some false air somewhere?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:23 AM

Not that i have been able to find..i been sprayin the out of every place i can imagine tryin to find a vacuum leak..and it aint happenin..lol..

guess since it was running REALLY REALLY rich there for a while..i needa change out the plugs i'm sure they're fouled..

i took the choke opener diaphragm off...but the truck will still run better if i spray in the direction of where the choke opener diaphragm should be..kinda weird if ya ask me..i noticed i do kinda need the diaphragm though im gettin one from a junkyard tuesday (college monday)..i only need it to keep the fast idle linkage out of the way of the throttle linkage..

and i remember that i forgot to pull the jets..so after i replace the plugs and try a couple more things..im gonna tear back into the carb and clean out all the jets and what not..
Old 11-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"

i took the choke opener diaphragm off...but the truck will still run better if i spray in the direction of where the choke opener diaphragm should be..kinda weird if ya ask me..i noticed i do kinda need the diaphragm though im gettin one from a junkyard tuesday (college monday)..i only need it to keep the fast idle linkage out of the way of the throttle linkage..
Thats not kinda weird, that indicates a leak.

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"

and i remember that i forgot to pull the jets..so after i replace the plugs and try a couple more things..im gonna tear back into the carb and clean out all the jets and what not..
cleaning the jets and passages is the most important part of tearing down a carb. get too it!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:40 PM

but there isn't anything there that could be leaking!?!?!?!...nothing..it's just carburetor body...i got the vacuum hoses plugged...and the gasket is there in between the top of the carb and the rest of it..as well as the gaskets below that...i'll take a better/closer look at it when i take the top of the carb off...

and yea yea yea i know..lmao..im pullin it into the garage and takin em out in just a min (it's rainin outside all the sudden..lol)
Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 PM

anybody!?!?..haven't had the chance to pull the carb again yet..(cuttin up wood and welding up my tractor..it wasn't strong enough LOL)as soon as i do that and go through and clean it again i'll report back...but in the meantime..i'm lookin for some suggestions guys!!!!

Quick Reply: New Problem has shown its ugly face