Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New guy, first time 'Yota owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Asha'man
I was, kinda. I know about the '86-'87 Turbo SR5's, but my knowledge covers the fact that they exist and not much else. How much is different between the 22RE and RTE? I'm coming from experience with the Ford 2.3T here. An n/a 2.3 has brittle cast pistons and lacks a tapped boss in the block for the turbo oil drain, but the blocks, cranks, and rods are functionally identical. One can swap cast pistons for forged, tap a hole in the oilpan for a drain, and pretty much have a turbo shortblock. Swap wiring isn't too complex, either - mild repinning of the stock harness, depending on year, a splice or two, and you're good.

I suppose I should start a new thread to really cover this, but that's the background that I'm coming from. Is the 22RE/RTE similar in those respects to the 2.3T, or are the RE and RTE radically different from each other? And how hard is it to swap a turbo motor into a non-turbo truck? I haven't seen it done in the couple weeks I've been gaining knowledge about this side of things.

Brian
the 22R-TE block is a bit different than the rest of the '85-95 "laser" blocks. it's got a tapped oil return boss on the driver's side(the boss is visible on a non-turbo block, looks like a flying saucer). i'm not sure where the oil feed boss is, but i know there are 1/8 british pipe thread tapped holes on the passenger side for oil pressure sensors(only 1 of them is used in most applications). could probably be used for an oil feed, or maybe enlarged.

the oil pump is a little different, being a higher flow unit. the biggest difference is the head and pistons. the head has a much larger combustion chamber than the N/A engine, and the cast pistons have a deep dish putting them at around 7.5:1 compression.

the stock turbo ECU won't really handle the fuel delivery for boost over the stock 6lbs or so, most guys will go to an aftermarket programmable system like SDS or megasquirt.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN

BTW, just for everyones information, boosted rotaries > boosted 4's
Great motor when tuned properly but I'll take my 2.0 4G63 reliabilty over the rotary anyday. Rotaries are very sensitive to detonation,overheating and sometimes only last 60k miles and rarely past 100k before you need some major engine work.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Great motor when tuned properly but I'll take my 2.0 4G63 reliabilty over the rotary anyday. Rotaries are very sensitive to detonation,overheating and sometimes only last 60k miles and rarely past 100k before you need some major engine work.
6 bolt or 7?

Another thing you have to remember (sorry for the total thread jack ) is that a rotary is much easier to rebuild than a piston motor. There are no moving parts beyond the rotars, the e-shaft, and maybe a few other things.

Thats all moot though, because when mine dies, Im going to be swapping in an LS1.