Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New guy, first time 'Yota owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy, first time 'Yota owner

I'm a Ford guy, first off. My pride and joy is my '92 Mustang LX hatch. Has '04 GT brakes, suspension crap, T5 swap, and I just built a 2.3 Turbo motor and dropped it in. Two days after I started driving it, I was on the way to the exhaust shop and some asshole in a late-model S10 rear-ended me and fled the scene. Car's totalled, but I'm gonna try to fix it. But in the meantime, I needed something to drive, and this came up from a guy on the local AR15 board (I think he's a member here, lol).

1986 4Runner SR5, 22RE, 4x4, 5spd. Has 234K miles but seems to run well and the body and frame have very little rust for a Toyota truck of this vintage. Paid $1100. Four-wheel-drive works, which will be nice next time it snows big again. It will need a clutch and probably a timing chain a bit sooner than later, but neither are immediate. Brakes could use a little looking at, too (intermittent squeak). Interior is pretty clean except the carpet, and the heat is HOT. As you can see in the pictures, it's got the standard-issue Toyota saggy ass, but an add-a-leaf or lift shackles should fix that for a while. Needs big tires and maybe new wheels too. Aside from that, maybe exhaust, and maintenance/repairs, I should be able to leave it pretty much alone and have a good daily driver/beater. Hopefully the Mustang can be reduced to a nice-weather car for the first time in it's life.

I've got a few questions that are fairly general that I'll be asking soon, but for now I'm still getting used to the truck. First non-Ford I've ever owned.

Brian
Old 01-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:29 PM

I got a Mustang as well. Dont be discourage of the 22R. It may not have alot of power but it will be reliable. You have the whole Yotatech to back that statement up.

James
Old 01-24-2006, 06:11 PM

ashaman I am a frequent corral poster.. in fact you might remember my car (sonic blue, 5 lug, steeda spoiler). Anyhow welcome to the forum... I guess that link I left in your toyota thread paid off.

welcome aboard, this place is an amazing forum. you will get the mod bugs very fast.

Last edited by fiveofeen; 01-24-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:26 PM

Funny to see so many other Mustang/4R crossover guys here.

Fiveo - I did see your post and found this place from that link, thanks much! I still want more pics of your car with the Steeda Aero spoiler on it; I'm damn near positive that that's what I want on mine.

First question - how hard to turbo the 22RE n/a?

Brian
Old 01-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Hey nice looking 4Runner... I think you will love it... I love my first generation... the removable top is awesome in the summer...

Yea its not the most powerful vehicle ever but it will last forever and get you to were you want to go!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:02 PM

yeah, Ive always owned Fords too, never any sports cars, but always Ford trucks, and the first import I ever bought was my runner, trust me, you may never own another ford again, there are many mods out there, and the 4runner has always looked so much sexier than any of the bland ford trucks(lightning and amarillo excluded). Good luck dude!
Old 01-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Asha'man
First question - how hard to turbo the 22RE n/a?

Brian
If im reading this right, you are asking how hard it is to turbo a 22re...There are kits...you've had experience and could do it on your own, it seems

There is a 22rte motor, we have one, and it was turbo'd from the factory...not the greatest turbo ever, but man do they have power, they move out fast, faster than our 04 tacoma with a 3.4L V6...

If you've got the money and time, you could do it.

Again, not sure if you were even asking about this.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 PM

I was, kinda. I know about the '86-'87 Turbo SR5's, but my knowledge covers the fact that they exist and not much else. How much is different between the 22RE and RTE? I'm coming from experience with the Ford 2.3T here. An n/a 2.3 has brittle cast pistons and lacks a tapped boss in the block for the turbo oil drain, but the blocks, cranks, and rods are functionally identical. One can swap cast pistons for forged, tap a hole in the oilpan for a drain, and pretty much have a turbo shortblock. Swap wiring isn't too complex, either - mild repinning of the stock harness, depending on year, a splice or two, and you're good.

I suppose I should start a new thread to really cover this, but that's the background that I'm coming from. Is the 22RE/RTE similar in those respects to the 2.3T, or are the RE and RTE radically different from each other? And how hard is it to swap a turbo motor into a non-turbo truck? I haven't seen it done in the couple weeks I've been gaining knowledge about this side of things.

Brian
Old 01-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Nice and kinda rare Mustang and let's hear it for small displacement turbo motors. I used to drive a Mitsu Eclipse GSX with a 2.0 (122ci) which ran mid 12s at sea level.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:02 AM

Hell yeah, boosted fours rock. I only got to drive mine for two days after the motor swap before it got hit, so I only had 14 psi, no tune, and open downpipe, but DAMN the improvement over stock! Used to be a consistent 20.0 @ 68mph car.

BTW why did this get moved to '84-'85? Truck is an '86.

Brian
Old 01-25-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Asha'man
I was, kinda. I know about the '86-'87 Turbo SR5's, but my knowledge covers the fact that they exist and not much else. How much is different between the 22RE and RTE? I'm coming from experience with the Ford 2.3T here. An n/a 2.3 has brittle cast pistons and lacks a tapped boss in the block for the turbo oil drain, but the blocks, cranks, and rods are functionally identical. One can swap cast pistons for forged, tap a hole in the oilpan for a drain, and pretty much have a turbo shortblock. Swap wiring isn't too complex, either - mild repinning of the stock harness, depending on year, a splice or two, and you're good.

I suppose I should start a new thread to really cover this, but that's the background that I'm coming from. Is the 22RE/RTE similar in those respects to the 2.3T, or are the RE and RTE radically different from each other? And how hard is it to swap a turbo motor into a non-turbo truck? I haven't seen it done in the couple weeks I've been gaining knowledge about this side of things.

Brian
The block is different, the cam is different, the injectors, computer, exhaust manifold, intake may be different, the pistons are different and some other things. You can boost a 22Re but very low around 5-6psi. The pistons cant handle it. I'am thinking of doing the same thing but I may put nice Wiseco forged units in it so I can boost the crap out of it.

James
Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 PM

How different is the block? If it's something simple like an oil drain boss like the 2.3T, that should be no problem. If it's more complex than that, or metallurgically different, then that would suck. :p

If a simple 22RE rebuild with forged pistons would hold boost (or nitrous! hmmmmm), that may be the way to go.

Brian
Old 01-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Throw some low compression pistons in, bigger injectors, arp headstuds, and you will be ready to put some boost to the thing. Alot of guys adapt the 22ret exhaust manifold to run a toyota ct-26 turbo or sometimes a garret t3. It has been done and can be done. Do a search on google, there are a few really, I mean really good websites about turbo 22r series motors. Good luck with the new truck.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:23 PM

Thanks, I'll definitely be looking into it.

Yay, finally in the right board.

Brian
Old 01-27-2006, 11:54 PM

Cool

It's funny. The build quality on that '86 runner would kick the piss out of my fully loaded '99 F150 sitting in the drive way LoL!

Asha'man good looking old truck!

Watch this & welcome to Toyota truck land.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...oyota+top+gear
Old 01-28-2006, 06:52 AM

Welcome. And I see you read Robert Jordan....

BTW, just for everyones information, boosted rotaries > boosted 4's
Old 01-28-2006, 09:20 AM

Until you blow an apex seal.

I hate to say it, but I agree on the build quality. I had an '84 Ranger for about six months last year, and it was a total POS. Granted, I only got it for $150, but it was such a pile of ลลลล that I just couldn't deal with it and sold it for a loss. I love my Mustang, and I'll never not own a Mustang, and it's got 175,000 miles and is (was, before it got hit) in good shape for the age, but this truck still has it in build quality as far as squeaks and rattles. Hell, even the dash clock still works. I find that impressive.

Yep, major Jordan fan here. Any particular Chosen you had in mind for the screenname?

Brian

Last edited by Asha'man; 01-28-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 AM

Cool

F0RSAKEN
Only when it's a boosted 20b
Old 01-29-2006, 07:57 AM

Pff who needs a 20b when you can have this?

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....CBD70EE2F7&p=4

Unfortunately, mine only has a 13b in it with stock turbos run non-sequentially, stand alone fuel computer (Apex Power FC), full 3" turbo back exhaust w/ no cat but has 2 Magnaflo mufflers run inline, full intake, etc...

BUT, the most important mod I made to my FD was buying a '94 T4R as a reliable and useful DD

And if you are refering to my screen name, I actually picked it for personal reasons unrelated to any book by anyone

Quick Reply: New guy, first time 'Yota owner