Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New engine? or dig into my 3.0?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And all he told me is that it's out of the TRD.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 PM

[IMG]file:///F:/DOCUME~1/moto260/LOCALS~1/Temp/photo-1.JPG[/IMG]
Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Moto260; 03-02-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM

Sorry hope that works, i cant figure out how to upload my pics. >< herp derp!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a mechanical speed sensor to me. I do not see the picture lol. To post pics: create a "photobucket" account and upload all your pics to your library. When you select the picture you want to post on here, click the picture and on the right side will be some yellow shaded boxes. click the bottom one and it should say something like "copied". then you go to your post and click the box in the tool bar of your post thats a picture of a mountain with a yellow backround and you paste it in the box and your done.

The TRD as im sure you already know is just a package that comes with the taco/4runner. dont think it was offered with the t100. I would definatley recommend you clarify what vehicle model it came out of.
Questions to ask:
- Model of the vehicle the motor came out of
- 4x4 or 2wd
- Does it come with the ECU? (If not then i would look elsewhere for a complete package)
- Is the ECU 4x4 or 2wd?
- Is the ECU M/T or A/T
- Does it come with the cross over and the down pipe? (not critical to be from the same vehicle, you'll just have to find one from a junk yard)
- Does it come with a power steering pump? (again not a make or break deal, you'll just have to go to the junk yard or buy a new one)

You need the 4x4 and M/T ECU

As far as the motor goes the question you have to ask yourself is if you want a motor that came out of a taco, 4runner or t100. Do you understand that getting a motor out of a tacoma or 4runner is slightly more work? If so, go for it. The t-100 is a "easier" swap

Things you will need from your 3.0 to bolt onto your 3.4:
- Alternator
- Starter
- Banjo bolt from your PS (power steering) pump main line
- Coolant neck that bolts to your water pump
- Motor mount brackets (buy new motor mounts from trail-gear)
- Starter trigger wire connector that clips into the starter (we'll talk more about that when it gets to that point)
- Your throwout bearing (not sure if you were going to replace the clutch, if so i thought i'd throw that in)
- Radiator Hoses
Thats all I got for right now....i'll remember as your swap progresses. I think this is a good start for now. Once you have the motor, we'll go over step by step what's next. Of course you can look on here to at some of the other guys' swaps, they do a great job and are very discriptive

Last edited by Austin Marr; 03-01-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As mentioned earlier, yes, the 3.4 will physically bolt into you truck (assuming you've swapped the oil pan, pick-up, baffle, dipstick, to fit the earlier style IFS) that that's just the tip of the iceberg; all the electronics are different (ECU, sensors, ignitor, ignition coils, etc), all the SMOG components are different.

Do not go out and buy jut the long block, you will be kicking yourself with each trip out to Rancho to pick up more parts from the junk yard that you didn't know you needed the last time around. See if they guy will sell you everything else you will need too.

I can't help but notice that you've gone from "Keep in mind-- I am not capable or have the money to do the 3.4 swap" to "Alright i'm sold" in under 14 hours, and just a bit of warning, you have a LOT of research still to do (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/ start reading). I know my experience hasn't been at all ordinary, but it took me the better part of a year (working on it only on weekends when I didn't have any other plans) and two engines (because the first one (Craigslist) had a blown head gasket and both heads were cracked) to "complete" my swap, and I still need to pass the SMOG ref. And since you're in Sacramento too, you'll have to have the swap inspected by the SMOG Ref, which is a much more thorough inspection process than a typical SMOG check, and everything must be done correctly.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I love the difference with the 3.4 (over the 3.0) but I don't want to see you (or anyone) get in over your head because the general advice in this thread has down-played the amount of work that's still required for an engine change.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 245 Likes on 183 Posts
Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 AM

I'm in south Lake Tahoe nv side so fortunate enough I get to register it without smog. I know it'll be a ton of work, and I do gotta read up a lot. ( Im no Mechanic) I guess a lot of what sold me is the 3.0 engine costs 2300 and my mechanic says I need a rebuilt or new engine. Said a used $1300 3.0 with 90 day warranty is a terrible idea. But a used 3.4 is $1200 6 month warranty. I only got $1500 towards it right now so getting started sounded pretty nice, im layed off for two more months, and I do have an engine hoist. I feel that electrical would be my biggest issue. And maybe the welding but my buddy that'd help me has a welder.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 AM

Ya, imma spend the day reading all these threads with my buddy and make sure we can do it, I guess I should be more knowledgable as to what I'm getting into before I go all out. Thanks for that link, I looked at some of the 3.4 swap links but I didn't see half of those.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Electrical will take the most research. I probably read through those sticky 3.4 forums a dozen times lol and referred back to them during my swap.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:28 PM

3.4 was the tits when i first came onto this site and began to research what to do with my blown 3.0. BUT even with working for Toyota and having access to Parts and Reference material i couldn't find ANYONE who wanted to take on the task of dealing with the electronics aspect of the swap as well as any other issues that might rear its ugly head.....
GOOD LUCK as the swap can be done but in order to play you must be ready to pay....
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 PM

Alright guys. I've done a s$$$ ton of reading and got a lot of info. I've decided to do this swap. First of all, because i can at least get started for $1000 cheaper than buying a new 3.0 engine, and second of all because i love this truck and i plan on keeping it for a long time and building it up over time.
I went and got a used 3.4l engine off of a 2000 Taco (Knowbody in rancho cordova had t100 engines) I got the ECU for 4x4 manual, Full wiring harness, P/S pump, Throttle body, intake, down pipe, and crossover pipe, Sense it is used i am going to get a timing belt kit with a water pump and re do it while the engine is outside of the truck. ....And i Still need to get a t100 Oil pan/Baffle/Pick up.... They're really tuff to find as everyone says.. (worst case, ill buy them new, ruffly $200 for all of it) I am laid off for 2 more months so really i have nothing but time. I plan on starting tomorrow. I am NOT very mechanically inclined aside from Basics and i've done a head gasket on the 22re. =P So im sure im going to have a lot of struggles, but im very committed, And Sure i'll get a ton of help through all the resources i've found through Yotatech. (I'm gonna need it) Luckily i got a really good welder now that's gonna help me do the exhaust so that's not the biggest concern.
Anyways... Like i said i'm not a mechanic so im gunna throw out quesions that might make you guys think i'm in over my head but doing is learning.

First off-- When disconnecting my tranny from my engine. Do i need to drop my driveshaft? (M/T)

Second-- Does my A/C need to be discharged?

Third-- Do i need to take my whole throttle body off?

Fourth-- Does my (VSS) need to be disconnected before removal of engine?

I know that pulling my 3.0 is going to be the easiest part i just wanna be prepared.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 PM

Also... I am not replacing my clutch... But just by insepction, i am going to be safe and replace my throw out bearing anyways.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Moto260

First off-- When disconnecting my tranny from my engine. Do i need to drop my driveshaft? (M/T)

Second-- Does my A/C need to be discharged?

Third-- Do i need to take my whole throttle body off?

Fourth-- Does my (VSS) need to be disconnected before removal of engine?

I know that pulling my 3.0 is going to be the easiest part i just wanna be prepared.
When i did the swap all i did was support the front of the bell housing with ratchet straps, removed my radiator, fan shroud and fan, removed the transmission bolts and thats all i did and it worked fine for me.

Not sure about your A/C my recipient didn't have A/C so I didn't have to worry about that. My donor had A/C but when i pulled the motor from the donor discharging the A/C wasn't a concern. We just pulled off the lines.....

I didn't have to touch anything on the throttle body on the 3.0 or the 3.4

If you have a VSS than yes. It sounded to me like you had a mechanical speed sensor from the way you described it....if you have a mechanical speed sensor than maybe someone else can chime in and help you with that.

Your right pulling the 3.0 isn't bad at all. Let us know if you need help knowing where to go after pulling the radiator and stuff. Remember your going to use your 3.0 throw out bearing. While your at it, inspect your pilot bearing on the 3.4 to see if its got any lag or grinding or anything. I personally would change it out just because its out of the truck, cant be that expensive. Have you done a T-Belt on your V6 before? not that bad i've just got a couple slick tricks that may help you. Im excited for you dude this is a fun swap.

CONGRATS ON YOUR PURCHASE!!!! YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED!!! THIS MOTOR IS A BOSS!!!

Last edited by Austin Marr; 03-08-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM

I got stuck on a rounded nut that was on my exhaust to manifold for like 4 hours >.< gave me a lot of trouble but i got it. i was planning on changing the pilot bearing my buddy told me it was best to replace it. I still don't know about my a/c, and I've never done a timing belt/water pump replacement! I found a good deal on a kit with both so ill get that. They gave me a guide at the recycler on timing belt replacement but if you got some pointers I'd really appreciate it(I plan on doing it before I put the engine in) just seems easier! I took out my 3.0 ECU, but having trouble getting the main wiring harness pulled through my passenger side kick panel through to my engine(should I just pull harder or take that rubber boot out?) I did have a question about an understanding on something!
Why do I have to take my VSS off? Everything I read says pull it when taking the engine out but I don't get why. It goes from the back top of my T case straight over top of my tranny (which I'm leaving in) then to my drivers side wall panel(assuming straight to me speed gauge?)
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM

And do i put the ECU and set up the wiring harness before I put the 3.4 in or after?
Thanks guys
Old 03-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Yeah remove the boot from the firewall, those plugs aren't going to fit thru it.

They likely say to remove the VSS so you dont pinch it between the body and transmission, if your not pulling the transmission you can leave it. Not sure if it'll need swaped or the plug changed to match a donor harness.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM

you can use the same ac compressor, without discharging it, if you change the pulley to the 3.4 pulley.
these guys sell a plug and play harness adapter http://toyonlyswaps.com/

read through the engine swap section on yotatech.

good luck with the project, you'll love it when it's done.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Cool thanks. Im gunna try to leave it, doesn't seem like it'll get in the way. And good to know about the compressor. I just discharged it to be safe >.< but ill be keeping it in order to preserve my money. I was looking into that wiring harness on toyonlyswaps.com before, but still deciding if I would like to just make do with the donors harness I got. I guess it couldn't hurt for me to email them or call and see if they could work with me sending in mine. Ill try to get some pictures up as I progress. Thanks for the help
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Moto260
I got stuck on a rounded nut that was on my exhaust to manifold for like 4 hours >.< gave me a lot of trouble but i got it. i was planning on changing the pilot bearing my buddy told me it was best to replace it. I still don't know about my a/c, and I've never done a timing belt/water pump replacement! I found a good deal on a kit with both so ill get that. They gave me a guide at the recycler on timing belt replacement but if you got some pointers I'd really appreciate it(I plan on doing it before I put the engine in) just seems easier! I took out my 3.0 ECU, but having trouble getting the main wiring harness pulled through my passenger side kick panel through to my engine(should I just pull harder or take that rubber boot out?) I did have a question about an understanding on something!
Why do I have to take my VSS off? Everything I read says pull it when taking the engine out but I don't get why. It goes from the back top of my T case straight over top of my tranny (which I'm leaving in) then to my drivers side wall panel(assuming straight to me speed gauge?)
For the timing belt, i bought all genuine toyota parts because you just cant beat the manufactured parts for your specific rig. although i had a hook up at toyota so i got em for cheap but its up to you. You'll need to make a tool to hold your crank shaft pulley (aka harmonic balancer) while you try and take the crankshaft pulley bolt out. essentially its just a long piece of steel with a hole torched out in the middle that has 2 studs welded on that line up with 2 holes in the balancer to hold it in place. I can post a pick of the one i made later.

Up to you what you want to do with the VSS. I pulled the whole tranny harness and O2 sensor plugs when i pulled my motor out. it all went into my engine bay and into the main harness but up to you on that one. Once the 3.slo was out and i was ready to wire i just lopped the according connectors that i needed and soldered them back on my 3.4 tranny harness.

Do your best not to tear that boot as i've read that you need to save that boot for when you install your donor's harness cause the taco one's dont fit properly

3.4 ECU can be mounted at any time and because i didn't have my body plugs from the donor i just ended up soldering/shrink wrapping the wires together. so its up to you if you want to build the harness while its out of the truck or not. Have you thought about what your going to do with the wiring? Solder the wires together? or get plugs for your body harness that will plug into the 3.4 engine harness?

Quick Reply: New engine? or dig into my 3.0?